RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,835
Posts: 5,473,346
Members: 25,039
Currently online: 372
Newest member: noroadcordova

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 2 2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Nero's Shadow
Captain
 
Nero's Shadow's Avatar
 
Location: Into Darkness !!!
Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow
Reunification 25 Years After Star Trek The Next Generation

I've just finished watching season 2 on blu ray and just also just finished watching the extras on the blu ray. I have really enjoyed the reunification 25 years documentary some really good stuff here that I enjoyed only one thing that bugged me I loved seen the cast again and how they consider themselves a family all having a laugh and giving there personal past moments but where was Denise Crosby ?? I know she only did one season but she was still a big part of TNG !!! Was she asked did she decline ??

Apart from that is a really good documentary loved how gene didn't want Patrick and how frakes spoke to gene and told frakes about in the 24th century they would be no hunger or greed and every child on earth would be able to read !!! Wow that really got me what a genius of a guy who viewed the future in such a great way and positive outlook . !!!

Some other good jems as well marina really getting emotial about the past and what impact it had on people and life.

If you have watched this already please feel free to comment on what you like and why ??
__________________
That green blooded son of a bitch !!!!
Nero's Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 09:56 AM   #2
MikeS
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Liverpool, UK
Re: Reunification 25 Years After Star Trek The Next Generation

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
... but where was Denise Crosby ?? I know she only did one season but she was still a big part of TNG !!! Was she asked did she decline ??
I would argue that there were much "bigger parts of TNG". For example - John De Lancie. Q had more airtime, script and character development that Yar did. She was left out because she was just a bit-part, a footnote in the grand scheme.
__________________
One day soon, man is going to be able to harness incredible energies, energies that could ultimately hurl us to other worlds in... some sort of spaceship.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:00 PM   #3
trekker670
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Reunification 25 Years After Star Trek The Next Generation

MikeS wrote: View Post
Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
... but where was Denise Crosby ?? I know she only did one season but she was still a big part of TNG !!! Was she asked did she decline ??
I would argue that there were much "bigger parts of TNG". For example - John De Lancie. Q had more airtime, script and character development that Yar did. She was left out because she was just a bit-part, a footnote in the grand scheme.
While I agree that DeLancie had a larger role in terms of development and a larger fanbase, he was only in 12 episodes throughout the entire franchise (TNG, DS9 and VOY), far fewer than Crosby (or Maulder). He didn't have much of a place in the reunion, in the same way Crosby (or Maulder) wouldn't have belonged. Their inclusion in the reunion would have either heavily limited the discussion, due to the relatively few episodes they appeared in throughout the series and movies, or they would have been sitting around and not contributed much. I think the producers made the right call in just calling the core cast from the show and movies.

The only way the reunion would have worked with the recurring roles (Yar, Palaski, Q, etc.) would have been if they completely restructured the dialog from the roundtable format it had to a more organized Q&A where they brought certain guest actors in for a few minutes for segments that were relevant to their roles, which wouldn't have been as interesting of a documentary. I think the way it was done was the best approach.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Reunification 25 Years After Star Trek The Next Generation

I liked Yar. One of the biggest things I learned in my recent rewatch of Season One is just how much better she was than I remember. But I'd also agree that Crosby's overall involvement in the franchise was... minimal, compared to that of her co-stars. It was terrific to see her alongside them when they all reunited on stage last year though.

The Trek producers really threw Crosby a bone by bringing her back in "Yesterday's Enterprise" (and later as Sela). More often than not actors who walk away from a tv series like she did don't get a second chance.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 12:53 AM   #5
MikeS
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Liverpool, UK
Re: Reunification 25 Years After Star Trek The Next Generation

trekker670 wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
... but where was Denise Crosby ?? I know she only did one season but she was still a big part of TNG !!! Was she asked did she decline ??
I would argue that there were much "bigger parts of TNG". For example - John De Lancie. Q had more airtime, script and character development that Yar did. She was left out because she was just a bit-part, a footnote in the grand scheme.
While I agree that DeLancie had a larger role in terms of development and a larger fanbase, he was only in 12 episodes throughout the entire franchise (TNG, DS9 and VOY), far fewer than Crosby (or Maulder). He didn't have much of a place in the reunion, in the same way Crosby (or Maulder) wouldn't have belonged. Their inclusion in the reunion would have either heavily limited the discussion, due to the relatively few episodes they appeared in throughout the series and movies, or they would have been sitting around and not contributed much. I think the producers made the right call in just calling the core cast from the show and movies.

The only way the reunion would have worked with the recurring roles (Yar, Palaski, Q, etc.) would have been if they completely restructured the dialog from the roundtable format it had to a more organized Q&A where they brought certain guest actors in for a few minutes for segments that were relevant to their roles, which wouldn't have been as interesting of a documentary. I think the way it was done was the best approach.
That was my point.
__________________
One day soon, man is going to be able to harness incredible energies, energies that could ultimately hurl us to other worlds in... some sort of spaceship.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 06:18 PM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Reunification 25 Years After Star Trek The Next Generation

O'brien had more screentime and development in TNG than Yar did. I honestly don't know why people sympathize with her so much... I mean to me she bolted away from the show as quick as she could and has spent the time since trying to get back into it.

It was cool they gave her cameos in Yesterday's Enterprise and All Good things, and let her do the Sela bit, but come on...
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Mott the barber
Commodore
 
Mott the barber's Avatar
 
Re: Reunification 25 Years After Star Trek The Next Generation

As posted elsewhere, I really enjoyed this. Loved the part where Marina admits she didn't want to disappoint Stewart. Even he almost choked up.
__________________
It's not you I hate, Cardassian. I hate what I became... because of you. --Miles O'Brien in "The Wounded"
Mott the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 03:29 AM   #8
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain
 
Location: Adelaide,australia
Re: Reunification 25 Years After Star Trek The Next Generation

I watched it last night and thought it had some great moments in it.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: Reunification 25 Years After Star Trek The Next Generation

R. Star wrote: View Post
I honestly don't know why people sympathize with her so much... I mean to me she bolted away from the show as quick as she could and has spent the time since trying to get back into it.
Let me see if I can put this into perspective for you.

Producers: Alright Denise. This next Star Trek series is going to be very different from the original. You are going to be one of Star Trek's most bada** characters because you're going to be manning the tactical station onboard the Federation flagship, a position that would make any tactical officer jealous. Your character has been trained physically and mentally to handle all kinds of situations. In short, when things go bad, everyone will look to you.

The result?

Yar: As security chief, I cannot just stand here and let-
Picard: Yes you can Lieutenant!

Yar: If we can at least damage their ship we'll have a chance-
Picard: Lieutenant, are you recommending we fight a life form that can do all those things? I'd like to hear your advice.
Yar: ... I spoke before I thought sir.

Yar: I wish I could help you, Captain.

Yar: *On the verge of tears* ...Well, I, er. It sounds strange, but I'm in a penalty box.

Yar: I'm certain I could disable their ship with a phaser burst, Captain.
Picard: And then, Lieutenant?

Yep. Her character isn't some idiot ball who makes dumb suggestions only to be put down by our enlightened Captain Picard now, is she? I'm honestly surprised she didn't leave sooner. The only reason she wanted to come back was becayse the whole creative team behind TNG had drastically changed after season 2. The poison that was Maurice Hurley was gone, Gene Roddenberry didn't have as much control over the series due to his health, and Michael Piller took on the role as head writer.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Reunification 25 Years After Star Trek The Next Generation

^ It's also worth factoring in Worf's role. Tasha Yar was made fairly redundant in the early scripts as Michael Dorn's part became more evidently 'correct' for situations that Tasha should have been doing, something which becomes even more patently obvious in retrospect. Hide & Q sees Tasha quickly sidelined to the penalty box while her role in the script is taken by Worf, running around on the planet fighting Q's vicious animal things. Too Short A Season has another scene where Tasha leads the charge on the planet, but Worf is right there beside her, and even takes over at one point. There are numerous other cases of note through that first year.

I contend that if she had've stuck around instead of running, she'd have found these initial kinks in the cast dynamic being ironed out and the writers finding a way for both roles to work together dramatically in the scripts. We almost seen this beginning to happen. But I don't blame her for going, as it was quite clear that in the early part of the season the production team were finding Worf too delicious a character to pass up on.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 03:39 PM   #11
xvicente
Commander
 
xvicente's Avatar
 
Re: Reunification 25 Years After Star Trek The Next Generation

Lance wrote: View Post
the production team were finding Worf too delicious a character to pass up on.
LOL I never thought of Worf as 'delicious'
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2013, 05:10 AM   #12
Lance
Commodore
 
Lance's Avatar
 
Location: The Enterprise's Restroom
Re: Reunification 25 Years After Star Trek The Next Generation



I use the term "delicious" merely as a description of how it seems, to me, the writers found him a fascinating character and were writing his role into scripts more. When Q first appears in Hide & Q, Worf literally jumps to attention (it takes Tasha Yar a full ten seconds to react), and then gets some of the best scenes in the episode (chasing after the animal things down on the planet, refusing Q's offer of a drink). It seems clear to me that they liked what Dorn was doing as an actor, and already seemed to be positioning him for a much larger role. Unfortunately, most of Tasha Yar's script functions were actually much better suited to the Klingon, even before she left the series, which left Denise Crosby a bit "surplus to requirements".
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.