TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 14 2013, 12:59 AM   #16
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: HBO's Game Change

^
It's out on DVD now. I saw it in Best Buy (I think) earlier this week.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 01:07 AM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Thanks! I'm waiting for it to show up in RedBox or at our local library.
Old January 14 2013, 02:35 AM   #18
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I don't know if HBO TV movies ever go to redbox, hombre... I don't see it on their site...
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 03:26 AM   #19
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
I don't know if HBO TV movies ever go to redbox, hombre... I don't see it on their site...
I don't do Red Box, so I wouldn't know, but it's a good bet that Game Change will probably show up at a library.
Old January 14 2013, 03:26 AM   #20
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Thanks! I'm waiting for it to show up in RedBox or at our local library.
You're welcome.
Old January 14 2013, 06:51 AM   #21
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Damn. Well, I'm already second on the waiting list at the library . . . .
Old January 14 2013, 05:55 PM   #22
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

It is strange that a retired Navy captain was so reluctant to assert his authority. At first he just didn't want her screwing up so badly, but by the home stretch, as the movie shows, he was genuinely afraid of ticking her off.
By the time she was announced and gained popularity through her looks and folksy ways it was too late to reign her in. McCain was going against the political powerhouse that Obama was back then.. a charming, intelligent (and admit it or not.. african american because it was a huge factor with minorities and the african american communities) man and McCain couldn't afford the slightest public hitch in his campaign because he was already on the ropes as old whitey.

As time progressed and Palin become more erratic and self-assertive it was already way too late. She was a very public figure and replacing a VP candidate was unheard of and would have immediately sealed the campaign for McCain.

So it was smile through clenched teeth and hope for the best and the movie portrayed that perfectly.
Old January 14 2013, 07:10 PM   #23
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ True. I guess it was really Wallace's and Schmidt's fault for not demanding authority from McCain to correct her performance immediately after the Couric interview. If she melted down as badly as shown in the movie, and I fully believe she did, she should have been canned, even though, as you say, it would have been total electoral surrender. But then, Schmidt was the one who failed by clearing her in the first place. And so was McCain.

But then, there was really nothing they could ever have done to beat Barack without some disastrous act of God or completely unexpected discovery of impropriety on his part. One thing that really struck me about the movie was how clearly the campaign perceived the scale of the odds against them vice the apparent shock and bewilderment that the Romney gang faced on their election night. Wrath of the Game Change is gonna be great also!
Old January 15 2013, 04:43 AM   #24
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I got my DVD of this a couple days ago, will likely give it a watch tomorrow.
Old January 17 2013, 10:21 PM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Yay! Just picked up a copy at the library.

I know what I'm watching tonight.
Old January 25 2013, 03:32 PM   #26
Gaith
Rear Admiral

In an article at the AV Club, Noel Murray entirely fails to grasp the movie's subtext:
Game Change appears to go out of its way to make McCain look like a decent (if opportunistic) guy, and make McCain’s campaign strategist Steve Schmidt look like a noble idealist...

But while Game Change makes the story of the ’08 election entertaining, it’s telling that at no point in the film do the “good” Republicans—the ones openly exasperated by Palin, in other words—express strong political convictions. This doesn’t appear to be an intentional commentary by the filmmakers, either. In real life, Schmidt and many of the other advisors to the McCain campaign are rock-ribbed Republicans, but in Game Change, none of them express any vision for the country or for its government—not even “tighten our belts” platitudes. It’s as though no one involved with making the movie could imagine what any of these people actually believe, or why. So in the process of “humanizing” them, they end up cutting off a huge part of what defines them.

That’s a major flaw.
Noel, Noel, Noel... that's the movie's whole point! Instead of picking the best available potential-subsitute president VP nominee, the "noble idealist" Schmidt embraced Palin while knowing almost nothing about her based almost entirely on her gender, looks and charisma. What "defines" these Republican operatives (and even, to a large extent, McCain himself) isn't their beliefs at all, but rather only their desire to win. If anything, the scene in which they nervously acknowledge, through the cover of jokes, Cheney's creepiness, shows how tenuous their ties to actual right-wing ideology really are.

Duh!
Old January 26 2013, 10:20 PM   #27
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Yeah, that review really missed the point. I don't think that the movie tried to say anything about the values of different political beliefs and ideologies. The whole point was that elections and campaigns are often more about image, charisma, presentation, looks, and other superficial qualities including appropriate gender/ethnicity/family situation, in other words, it's just like any other marketing/advertising campaign where you try to sell a product. Palin was an extreme example of where that can take you (but certainly not the only one).

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2013, 10:24 PM   #28
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Finally got around to watching it. Good, interesting, movie with great performances by everyone on the cast. Julianne Moore and Woody Harrelson did especially great jobs. I also think the movie really showed (many) of the problems in that 2008 election and the selection of Palin.