A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 13 2013, 10:02 PM   #16
diankra
Commodore

Re: Great Intelligence (Spoilers)

Konata pretty much says it all: everybody who's ever worked on Doctor Who has taken the sensible attitude that if continuity gets in the way of a good story, you ignore it (the fans will find a way to make it work: we already have several suggested ways to get round this problem). That's acceptable unless you miss an easy tweak which would have avoided the problem, or make the continuity central to the plot and then get it wrong.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 11:09 PM   #17
Robert D. Robot
Captain

SO -if I've got this right- Doctor Eleven defeats the Great Intelligence after it appears on Earth in mid-19th Century London and -in a weakened state- it hears Padmasambhava from across the astral plane and so travels back to 17th Century to rest up and eventually meet up with Doctor Two in the 20th Century? Sounds like it could work (Not for 'Law & Order: SVU', but for 'Doctor Who'-- yes!
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 11:18 PM   #18
Nagisa Furukawa
Commander

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I don't understand the antipathy in some corners of fandom for Blogtor Who. You can't link to Blogtor Who articles on Gallifrey Base, for example; the software will munge up the link and make it unusable. Maybe it's Blogtor Who's unwillingness to toe the party line? That's one of the striking things about fandom in the past few years, the inability in some quarters to tolerate a "loyal opposition" of criticism done out of love rather than hate.
No, it's because they have non-copyright holder approved YouTube links and any site like that is munged up when tried to be linked on Gallifrey Base.

Not that I support Blogtor Who anymore than I do Tom Spilsbury; someone once described them as the Heat Magazine of Doctor Who and that's a fair description.

diankra wrote: View Post
Konata pretty much says it all: everybody who's ever worked on Doctor Who has taken the sensible attitude that if continuity gets in the way of a good story, you ignore it
Shame the story itself was pretty disappointing, especially the origin of the Great Intelligence. Snow reflected off a child's thoughts who becomes "real" when the guy's memories are deleted?? Pretty underwhelming origin, even if it didn't contradict anything.
Old January 14 2013, 12:11 AM   #19
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Everybody lies.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 12:48 AM   #20
diankra
Commodore

Nagisa Furukawa wrote: View Post
Shame the story itself was pretty disappointing, especially the origin of the Great Intelligence.
Well, yes: I like it a lot more than the previous Christmas special, but wasn't keen on the new origin for the Intelligence.
But maybe I should edit my earlier comment from "good story" to "what you hope will be a good story". 'Cos even the author doesn't really know till it's made...
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote