Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 13 2013, 08:10 PM   #1
duspock
Cadet

Spock Ethical Dilemmas

Hey all,

I am wondering if you all can highlight areas where Spock has acted unethically. I am doing a project and figured y'all may be able to shed some insight that I may not have.

I was considering discussing the pon farr events but I am open to anything.
duspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Spock Ethical Dilemmas

Kidnapping a Starfleet officer, falsify orders and hijacking the Enterprise. (the Menagerie)
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 09:25 PM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I'd add in The Doomsday Machine. Without medical tests Spock really had no legal right to relieve Decker.
Old January 13 2013, 10:08 PM   #4
Captain Tracy
Commander

I thought the big ethical dilemma Spock wrestled with silently throughout the series was if he should, or should not 'OUT' Sulu.

I always was under the impression that was some form of unspoken dialog going back and forth between Spock and McCoy by doing that raised eyebrow thing back and forth to each other while talking to KIRK about space business?

SPOCK: Blah, blah, blah,.. (raises eyebrow at McCoy = Should we tell him now Doctor?)

McCOY: Double-speak, Double-speak,.. (raises eyebrow back at Spock = You tell him,,, I ain't gonna tell him!)

Hmmm,...
Old January 13 2013, 10:25 PM   #5
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Captain Tracy wrote: View Post
I thought the big ethical dilemma Spock wrestled with silently throughout the series was if he should, or should not 'OUT' Sulu.
I think we all have some fun at Sulu's expense after George's public coming-out, but there's no evidence that I'm aware of that Sulu's gay. Except for oiling himself up and barechestedly chasing crewmen while waving his sword.

Regarding Spock and ethics, I felt that his mind-touch with a grieving Kirk at the end of 'Requiem for Methuselah' was questionable. Spock did not ask permission to initiate this contact, which is highly unusual for him with people he knows.
Old January 13 2013, 10:26 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

Why would anyone in the 23rd century care if Sulu is gay?
Old January 13 2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Captain Tracy
Commander

Well BILL, ask yourself that question when he is chasing you down the dark and lonely corridors of Engineering, half-naked, covered in baby oil, and swinging a sword at you LOL!!!! I am sure you'll get your answer, in the end. ROFL!!!

"Talley-Ho,.oo,.oooooo Noooooo!!!!

Too silly.

Last edited by Captain Tracy; January 13 2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Edited for added comedic value
Captain Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 10:54 PM   #8
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Unless "sword" is a really awful euphemism, the question still stands...AND the sword would still be a bigger concern.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 11:31 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

Well BILL, ask yourself that question when he is chasing you down the dark and lonely corridors of Engineering, half-naked, covered in baby oil, and swinging a sword at you LOL!!!! I am sure you'll get your answer, in the end. ROFL!!!

"Talley-Ho,.oo,.oooooo Noooooo!!!!

Too silly.
I actually find this stereotype offensive.
Old January 13 2013, 11:43 PM   #10
Captain Tracy
Commander

Well, don't blame me,.. I didn't write the episode that way, complain to John Black who did,.. now why don't you just try to "relax and loosen up" about a show written 40 years ago.
Old January 13 2013, 11:50 PM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

Well, don't blame me,.. I didn't write the episode that way, complain to John Black who did,.. now why don't you just try to "relax and loosen up" about a show written 40 years ago.
Your the one who brought it up with the nonsense of Spock outing Sulu and then kept digging.
Old January 14 2013, 12:21 AM   #12
Warped9
Admiral

I thought this thread was about Spock's ethical dilemmas.
Old January 14 2013, 12:22 AM   #13
Captain Tracy
Commander

Actually BILL, I was referring to the other quality the writers gave this character, and that is SULU's private passion is plants and flowers, being his hobby... butt I guess that offends you too,... again, send those complaints to J.D.F. Black, the episode writer,.......after all, what would the womanizing-macho Capt think about his ace weapons officers enjoying "panzies", in his off time,... THAT was unspoken eye-brow raising dialog I was referring to.

That was the outing I was talking about,.... where YOU are coming from,.. well, I have no idea,.. it's a place this man has not gone before.

How your personal sensitivities, projections, fears and guilt, lifestyle choices and why you decided to assign to my posts all this other talk, was wholly contained in all in your posts, not mine, and that is the only place such talk wormed its way into thread.

So please, re-read the posts of mine and you shall see I never mentioned such things of which YOU speak; I was talking about his botany hobby,.. YOU can make it about whatever YOU choose, butt please, do not involve me in your person business. This is a platform to discuss a TV show, not a place for you to push your personal agenda and lifestyle choice onto others.
Old January 14 2013, 12:46 AM   #14
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

I think he was enjoying Gertrude.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 12:59 AM   #15
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Actually BILL, I was referring to the other quality the writers gave this character, and that is SULU's private passion is plants and flowers, being his hobby... butt I guess that offends you too,... again, send those complaints to J.D.F. Black, the episode writer,.......after all, what would the womanizing-macho Capt think about his ace weapons officers enjoying "panzies", in his off time,... THAT was unspoken eye-brow raising dialog I was referring to.

That was the outing I was talking about,.... where YOU are coming from,.. well, I have no idea,.. it's a place this man has not gone before.

How your personal sensitivities, projections, fears and guilt, lifestyle choices and why you decided to assign to my posts all this other talk, was wholly contained in all in your posts, not mine, and that is the only place such talk wormed its way into thread.

So please, re-read the posts of mine and you shall see I never mentioned such things of which YOU speak; I was talking about his botany hobby,.. YOU can make it about whatever YOU choose, butt please, do not involve me in your person business. This is a platform to discuss a TV show, not a place for you to push your personal agenda and lifestyle choice onto others.
That's enough of that. Your post was off-topic and boderline offensive (so Botany is gay?).

Consider this a friendly warning. Next time will be a trolling infraction.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote