Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 13 2013, 04:59 PM   #16
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

Re: Titan Novels

I liked the idea of Troi getting bitten by the "dinosaur" CMO to save her life in one of the Destiny novels. It would be cheesy in an episode or film, but it works in the novels, sort of.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 08:18 PM   #17
Geoff Thorne
Fleet Captain

View Geoff Thorne's Twitter Profile

I like the books. I like the overt ethos of diversity and acceptance that sits at their heart.

But, more than that perhaps, I like how the original editor of the novels, one Marco Palmieri, INTENDED for the series to be more idiosyncratic than the other series (NEW FRONTIER excepted).

He not only let us write the books we intended to write in the way we wanted to write them but ENCOURAGED that.

So, along with the variance and diversity among the fictional crew, you are getting an extremely diverse set of approaches here.

For some that may make for a bumpy ride or claims of inconsistency but, looked at another way, there should be something in the series for nearly every reader to embrace.

IDIC.

Starfleet is not a military organization. Its purpose is exploration. - Jean-Luc Picard

Last edited by Geoff Thorne; January 13 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo. duh.
Geoff Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 08:28 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Geoff Thorne wrote: View Post
He not only let us write the books we intended to write in the way we wanted to write them but ENCOURAGED that.
That's right. Probably of all my Trek work, my two Titan novels are the ones that come closest to what I'd write as original SF (indeed, Over a Torrent Sea was largely based on an old spec novel I wrote).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 04:48 AM   #19
JD
Admiral

^And what you two have discussed there is part of what I love so much about Titan. Up until the Martin books, Titan had been one of my favorite Trek series. I absolutely love the different aliens in the cast, and the characters themselves are great too. Personally, I put Ree right up there with Spock, Data, and Keira as one of my favorite Trek characters. And the novels themselves have included one of my favorites, Orion's Hounds, and a couple that I really like, Synthesis and Sword of Damocles. Even the ones that I didn't include there I still found enjoyable, up until the Martin novels at least. I tired Seize the Fire a couple months ago, but ended up setting it aside in favor of other stuff I was enjoying more. I might go back and finish it eventually.
Old January 14 2013, 03:56 PM   #20
Garrovick
Commander

I've read all of the Titan novels except for Fallen Gods which is coming up soon on my "to-read" list. I've actually enjoyed all of them to this point , although Orion's Hounds and Synthesis have been the ones I enjoyed the most (I'm not too wild about the cover art for Synthesis, though).

I guess I am in the minority in one respect, though - I enjoyed Seize the Fire very much.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 10:12 PM   #21
NX-01
Lieutenant Commander

I guess, I am among the minionity here. I wasn't put off by a variety of aliens I just felt there were too many. I personally got confused, largely as I couldn't visualise them.
Old January 14 2013, 11:02 PM   #22
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

The number of aliens isn't the problem for me. I really don't like Dr Ree or the Efrosian and am not keen on several others, although I do like Pazlar and Torvig. You don't have to like all of the characters to enjoy a book.

My problem is part the 'variable' quality of the novels, and (probably moreso) that the exploration / alien world of the week stories dont seem that interesting anymore. Enterprise, TOS, TNG and Voyager did all that...a lot.

Superior exploration stories like Over A Torrent Sea and Voyagers Children Of The Storm are obviously good, but to be honest I'd still probably enjoy something else more.
Old January 16 2013, 08:23 PM   #23
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

Trying to visualize the aliens was a challenge to me as well, but the website helped me a lot. The diversity is nice but early on threatened to become the story instead of the environment which sort of goes against the point of having it to begin with, in my opinion. I have not read any of them following Destiny. My perception is that the series sort of lost the exploration focus, is this true? That perception is only because it looks like the series mingles with the typhoon series too?
Old January 17 2013, 04:10 PM   #24
j3067
Lieutenant Commander

^ The two novels directly following Destiny are pure exploration (and my favorite two novels in the series). Over a Torrent Sea and Synthesis are great; I highly recommend both.

The following two novels fall into the realm of the Typhon Pact and I am not inclined to recommend either. Seize the Fire is exploration focused, but it involves the Gorn and the same story could have been told whether the Gorn were members of the Pact members or not. There is also an exploration of warp capability as the metric for application of the Prime Directive which I thought was really cool, but the novel is a mess overall.

Fallen Gods has an exploration plot, but is probably the most tied to events of the Typhon Pact of any TTN book. It is a tighter story than Seize the Fire but less ambitious and kinda milktoast overall. The plots of this book and Seize the Fire are connected, so you could sort of link them as a duology.
j3067 is offline   Reply With Quote