Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 12 2013, 10:09 AM   #16
Freman
Fleet Captain

Re: Current novels set in the TV time-frame?

I'm so glad that Star Trek has a sense of continuity now. Made me start buying ST books again.
Old January 12 2013, 10:12 AM   #17
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Freman wrote: View Post
I'm so glad that Star Trek has a sense of continuity now. Made me start buying ST books again.
"Now"? That sense of continuity's been in place since 2001...
Old January 12 2013, 10:19 AM   #18
Freman
Fleet Captain

Yup, and it still does now, doesn't it? lol
Old January 12 2013, 07:04 PM   #19
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
I'll chime in with another recommendation for Immortal Coil. It's one of my favorite Next Gen novels.

It's been a while since I've seen Jeffrey Lang's name on a Trek novel. Hopefully he'll do another sometime soon.
He has said that he's not interested in working with another editor besides Marco Palmieri, who was laid off in late 2008, so it would appear that's pretty unlikely, unfortunately.
Old January 12 2013, 10:08 PM   #20
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Thrawn wrote: View Post
I'll chime in with another recommendation for Immortal Coil. It's one of my favorite Next Gen novels.

It's been a while since I've seen Jeffrey Lang's name on a Trek novel. Hopefully he'll do another sometime soon.
He has said that he's not interested in working with another editor besides Marco Palmieri, who was laid off in late 2008, so it would appear that's pretty unlikely, unfortunately.
Well, that's yet another reason to want Marco back. Wasn't just about everyone ticked off when that happened? I know I was.

As for Jeff Lang, is he even writing anything these days? A google search yields the most results for a different "Dr. Jeffrey Lang" who writes books on his personal journey to Islam, but that's about all I can find.
Old January 12 2013, 10:27 PM   #21
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

As for Jeff Lang, is he even writing anything these days? A google search yields the most results for a different "Dr. Jeffrey Lang" who writes books on his personal journey to Islam, but that's about all I can find.
Jeff has written a couple of very good CSI novels, not to mention his own Weird Western comic book series . . ..

And Marco, of course, is an editor at Tor these days.
Old January 13 2013, 04:37 AM   #22
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

^ I loved almost everything he commissioned for Trek, I've been wondering - is there any easy way to find out what books he's commissioned for Tor? I asked him and he said he'd probably post them on his blog, but that hasn't happened.
Old January 13 2013, 12:39 PM   #23
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

One book he seem to have commissioned is:

The Emperor's Blade by Brian Staveley

Marco retweeted a Tweet by the author announcing the book, so I searched a bit on the author's Facebook and found this (the title in the post was only the working title):

October 1, 2012

It's official! Publisher's Marketplace has announced my book deal:

Fiction
Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Brian Staveley's THE ASH AND THE EMBER, pitched as an epic fantasy in the vein of Game of Thrones, about two sons of the emperor -- one in brutal military training and one studying secret magic -- who must uncover the ancient conspiracy behind their father's murder, to Marco Palmieri at Tor, in a three-book deal, by Hannah Bowman at Liza Dawson Associates.
UK rights to Bella Pagan at Tor UK.

Last edited by Defcon; January 13 2013 at 03:44 PM.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 03:37 PM   #24
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Thanks.
Old January 13 2013, 05:46 PM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I believe he also edited Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone.

Crediting editors can be a bit tricky sometimes. It's entirely possible, at Tor and Pocket and everywhere else, for a book to be acquired by one editor, edited by another, and maybe re-edited by yet another editor, just because of staff turnovers, editorial realignments, creative differences, and so on.

Case in point: To Reign in Hell was acquired by John Ordover, who worked closely with me on the original outline, but John had departed for greener pastures by the time I delivered the actual manuscript, which was edited by Ed Schlesinger. Ditto for my second Underworld book.

That sort of thing happens all the time. It's not at all uncommon for a manuscript to pass through two or three editors on its way to publication.

Heck, sometimes it's just a matter of lightening somebody's workload. "Hey, Greg. Sybill is swamped with the Space Vixens books. Would you mind taking over the vampire romances for the time being?"
Old January 14 2013, 02:01 PM   #26
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Why was Marco Palmieri laid-off? The DS9 relaunch was a very enjoyable series of books.
Old January 14 2013, 02:06 PM   #27
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

$$$$$

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 04:28 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

MikeS wrote: View Post
Why was Marco Palmieri laid-off? The DS9 relaunch was a very enjoyable series of books.
Remember how the global economy crashed late in 2008? The American publishing industry was hit very hard and publishers had to desperately cut costs in order to avoid bankruptcy. Simon & Schuster had to lay off dozens of people in dozens of departments, lightening their load as much as they could. At the time, Pocket's media tie-in department had several editors on staff, and the cost-cutters decided that was a redundancy they could do without. Since their only consideration was saving money, they laid off the editor who had the highest salary -- who happened to be named Marco Palmieri. The fact that he'd earned that salary by doing such superb work was of no concern; they were bailing out a sinking ship, trying to stay afloat, and that was their only consideration. A lot of people at S&S and other publishers lost their jobs for reasons that had nothing to do with their performance. (Recall that a few months later, the other main Trek editor at the time, Margaret Clark, was also laid off in the second set of companywide purges.) The economic crash affected our lives in many ways, and this was how it affected Simon & Schuster.

But fortunately the economy eventually began to recover, publishers started hiring again, and Marco was hired as an editor by Tor Books, where I think he's very happy to be.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2013, 05:07 PM   #29
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Case in point: To Reign in Hell was acquired by John Ordover, who worked closely with me on the original outline, but John had departed for greener pastures by the time I delivered the actual manuscript, which was edited by Ed Schlesinger. Ditto for my second Underworld book.

That sort of thing happens all the time. It's not at all uncommon for a manuscript to pass through two or three editors on its way to publication."
Yeah, thanks to the editorial shakeups at Pocket, The Tears of Eridanus was acquired by Marco Palmieri, submitted to Margaret Clarke, edited by Jaime Costas, and seen through the final stages of publication by Emilia Pisani!