Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 5 2012, 12:09 PM   #16
the G-man
Commodore

Re: Seth Macfarlane tapped to host this years Academy Awards!

22 episodes? More like 66 when you add in 'Black Family Guy' and 'Republican Family Guy.'
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 11:41 PM   #17
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

:facepalm: Sounds like a terrible idea to me, but I don't find him the least bit funny.
Old October 10 2012, 06:54 PM   #18
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Kind of ironic, considering he messed up his only line while presenting on the Emmy's a couple weeks ago (didn't go over to the mic so no one could hear him, then made some joke about not going to rehearsals). He can have some funny jokes but he generally irritates me quite a bit, seems kind of full of himself.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 09:42 PM   #19
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Honestly, I think it's a brilliant choice. I'm no fan of McFarlane's animated works outside of pre-cancellation Family Guy (and its first season after coming back) and American Dad (which McFarlane doesn't write or even supervise; he simply does voice work on it), but the guy's whole thing is that he absolutely adores old-time Hollywood, which you can see in work like very early Family Guy. He's a consummate showman and entertainer. If you're that disgusted by the choice, you're giving someone waaaay down the line too much credit.

I'm really looking forward to what he puts together -- it has to be better than the James Franco Experience, or embalmed Billy Crystal (complete with blackface!).
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 01:19 AM   #20
billcosby
Commodore

Lucky there's a-cademy guy.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 01:35 PM   #21
the G-man
Commodore

Is Seth MacFarlane Already a Terrible Oscar Host?
  • In the less than 10 minutes it took to announce the nominees, MacFarlane managed to insult his co-presenter, belittle the achievements of several nominees, and make a Hitler joke...

MacFarlane presumably meant this to be comedic, and the lines may have been scripted. (It was hard to tell.) But MacFarlane seemed incapable of making quips that weren’t at the expense of the honorees or others in the room. After reading the Best Director candidates, he cracked, “These are 5 people who are the very best at sitting in a chair and watching other people make a movie.” After the nominees for Best Adapted Screenplay: “These are adapted screenplays, so that means that the writers basically copied stuff from Microsoft Word and pasted it into Final Draft.” Then when he announced that Amour was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, he explained that it was a German and Austrian co-production. “The last time Austria and Germany got together and co-produced something,” he interjected, “it was Hitler.” (“But this is much better,” Stone chimed in.)

Edgy and biting can work at an awards show, but these one-liners were neither. When Ricky Gervais caused a stir at the Golden Globes, he mostly took aim at the awards show’s self-indulgent tone and aired a bit of Hollywood’s dirty laundry. MacFarlane’s targets were the actual honorees—and his lines lacked satirical bite because there was no real truth in them.

Ouch. I still think MacFarlane can pull off the Oscars but it sounds like he may have stumbled early on, thinking people wanted "Family Guy at the Academy."
Old January 11 2013, 06:04 PM   #22
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I think that's pretty funny. These award shows are absurd and I love it when someone takes the piss out of them.
Old January 12 2013, 04:36 AM   #23
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

You're just being oversensitive.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 06:50 PM   #24
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

Funny, I just saw this...

Anne Hathaway's Oscar tips for Seth MacFarlane

Anne Hathaway has warned Seth MacFarlane not to trust people if they tell him his Oscar hosting rehearsals are going well.
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 08:43 PM   #25
the G-man
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I think that's pretty funny. These award shows are absurd and I love it when someone takes the piss out of them.
I've got no problem with that. But I tend to agree with the article I posted that the particular lines he used didn't really accomplish that.
Old January 12 2013, 09:35 PM   #26
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Oh sweet Celestia! What kind of host insults the nominees at the Oscars?! That's Hollywood's most sacred and cherished tradition of outstanding achievement in the field of excellence!
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 09:44 PM   #27
Death
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Oh sweet Celestia! What kind of host insults the nominees at the Oscars?! That's Hollywood's most sacred and cherished tradition of outstanding achievement in the field of excellence!
I hope he deflates the whole night for the absurdist pagent it really is.
Old January 13 2013, 12:20 PM   #28
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Really, when you hire Seth MacFarlane to do ANYTHING you can't complain about what happens as a result. Doing this is asking for trouble, sort of like that time when the GOP tasked Stephen Colbert with M.C. some GOP event, apparently unaware of the "joke" that Colbert played the ultra-conservative on his show and was really a liberal.
Old January 13 2013, 03:12 PM   #29
lennier1
Commodore

Now I feel old!

I remember that guy from way back when he was still funny.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 03:12 PM   #30
the G-man
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Doing this is asking for trouble, sort of like that time when the GOP tasked Stephen Colbert with M.C. some GOP event, apparently unaware of the "joke" that Colbert played the ultra-conservative on his show and was really a liberal.
That's not what happened. It wasn't a GOP event. It was a press association event to which Bush was invited.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen...ciation_Dinner

Really, when you hire Seth MacFarlane to do ANYTHING you can't complain about what happens as a result.
When you hire anyone to do anything you have a right to complain if their work isn't the quality of what you paid for.

While I'm sure hiring SM was yet another attempt to 'appeal to younger viewers,' I suspect they producers hired him in large part due to his general wit and 'song and dance' /toastmaster personna. If MacFarlane can't tailor his act to the audience or the event that would would seem to be more a dig on his abilities than on the producers.