Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 13 2013, 02:25 PM   #1
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Great Intelligence (Spoilers)

I've been up all night watching the Troughton recons of the first 2 Great Intelligence stories and uh... this doesn't add up. The 2012 Christmas special provided an origin story for the Intelligence but in The Abominable Snowmen it has been around for hundreds of years prior?

What is going on!? A fairly major fuck up there that Moffat could have avoided merely by basic Wikipedia research.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 02:30 PM   #2
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Re: Great Intelligence (Spoilers)

What is going on!?
Nothing.

A fairly major fuck up
How can something a few web nerds care about be called "fairly major" - who cares? how does it change the story as presented?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 02:34 PM   #3
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Because it's a huge error? The entirety of The Abominable Snowmen hinges on The Doctor's prior visit to the monastery hundreds of years ago. It's kinda impossible to overlook when watching either story.

We have an origin story for something that 2 appearances earlier is said to have been around for over a hundred years prior to said origin story. It's a really weird error.
Old January 13 2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

maybe the dr went to the monastary and didn't tell you, to teach you a lesson about whining about insignificant stuff on the internet.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 02:42 PM   #5
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

If only he'd arrived in time to teach you a lesson about basic grammar and manners .
Old January 13 2013, 02:50 PM   #6
StCoop
Commodore

If you have a look at the new DWM Moffat explains that the GI can travel through time. So he did think about it but quite rightly felt no need to mention it in the episode for the six people who'd get worked up about it.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 02:55 PM   #7
The Badger
Fleet Captain

As I understand it, the Doctor's old friend Padmasambhava supposedly contacted the Great Intelligence on 'the astral plane'. Perhaps such contact transcends the boundaries of time and space?

We certainly know messages can be sent telepathically through time (The Hand Of Fear, Silence In The Library, The End Of Time Part One). For me, it's not such a leap to accept the Intelligence, banished in 1892, could be contacted by the wandering meditations of a Tibetan Monk in the 17th century.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 02:57 PM   #8
Gov Kodos
Admiral

A wizard did it.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 03:03 PM   #9
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

StCoop wrote: View Post
If you have a look at the new DWM Moffat explains that the GI can travel through time. So he did think about it but quite rightly felt no need to mention it in the episode for the six people who'd get worked up about it.
Well, my general loathing of Tom Spilsbury has caused a DWM allergy but it's pretty cool he set the record straight after realising the error. I suppose maybe also, the Great Intelligence could view time in a non-linear fashion ala the Prophets in DS9.

The Badger wrote: View Post
As I understand it, the Doctor's old friend Padmasambhava supposedly contacted the Great Intelligence on 'the astral plane'. Perhaps such contact transcends the boundaries of time and space?
This had occurred to me too and is my personal theory to reconcile the contradiction.
Old January 13 2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

DalekJim wrote: View Post
my general loathing of Tom Spilsbury has caused a DWM allergy
This quote wins the Internet.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 03:42 PM   #11
StCoop
Commodore

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
His deluded belief that being Moffat's arse-kisser-in-Chief makes him somehow special always makes me laugh.

Especially when it leads to things like him confirming the GI's appearance in the Xmas Special in advance during an argument on Twitter. Wonder how that one went down with Cardiff...
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 03:48 PM   #12
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

I don't follow him on Twitter. I added Andrew Cartmel on Facebook and that's the extent of my online stalking of Doctor Who famous people. I am told Noel Clarke comes across as a completely unhinged thug on his Twitter though, which sounds amusing.
Old January 13 2013, 05:40 PM   #13
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
His deluded belief that being Moffat's arse-kisser-in-Chief makes him somehow special always makes me laugh.
Yes, but as the DWM editor, that's part of his job brief and he's paid to be the arse-kisser-in-chief. What I find amusing that while someone like Ben Cook at least acts like he knows he's a propagandist for the Cardiff regime, Spilsbury pretends that he's an independent actor and his editorial decisions are his and his alone, which isn't true at all. It's the nature of the licensing game; there's nothing that DWM prints that Cardiff hasn't signed off on multiple times. Some things Cardiff will care about less than others (so something like the "Here's what the actors are doing" column will merit a "Whatever" at most), but anything they publish about the new series will have vetted to within an inch of its life.

Especially when it leads to things like him confirming the GI's appearance in the Xmas Special in advance during an argument on Twitter. Wonder how that one went down with Cardiff...
That was not his finest moment. That was a Twitter argument with Blogtor Who, wasn't it?

I don't understand the antipathy in some corners of fandom for Blogtor Who. You can't link to Blogtor Who articles on Gallifrey Base, for example; the software will munge up the link and make it unusable. Maybe it's Blogtor Who's unwillingness to toe the party line? That's one of the striking things about fandom in the past few years, the inability in some quarters to tolerate a "loyal opposition" of criticism done out of love rather than hate.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 06:08 PM   #14
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I don't understand the antipathy in some corners of fandom for Blogtor Who.
Surely that is the corner that has heard of it to start with? I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it in this thread.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 08:34 PM   #15
Konata Izumi
Commander

It's not a fuck up if it works within the context of the story and can be fanwanked into continuity that easily and sensibly. It's just plot.

If the time difference was very small, that would be a mistake I guess, cause what would be the sense in that.

Moffat Who should come with a notice "some fanwank required". Which of course means immense amounts...

Last edited by Konata Izumi; January 13 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Konata Izumi is offline   Reply With Quote