IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 12 2013, 04:28 PM   #16
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: SyFy Channel

For all of the complaints about SyFy, I think there are more people watching the network now than ever before, IIRC.

Personally, though, I really haven't watched anything on SyFy since Stargate Universe ended, but I am looking forward to Continuum and the upcoming Defiance though.
Old January 12 2013, 04:49 PM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
For all of the complaints about SyFy, I think there are more people watching the network now than ever before, IIRC..
Yeah. Personally, I think people tend to romanticize the past where Sci Fi/Syfy is concerned. Sure, they aired FARSCAPE back in the old days, but that was only one night a week. Most of their schedule consisted of reruns of old, cancelled shows. I used to refer to it as the Lost Elephant's Graveyard of Dead Genre Shows. I tended to watch the original stuff like THE INVISIBLE MAN and FARSCAPE, but had little interest in rewatching ancient episodes of THE INCREDIBLE HULK or whatever, aside from checking out an occasional ep for nostalgia's sake.

And, of course, now that pretty much everything is available on DVD, there's even less point in a channel that mostly reruns vintage sf shows. Anyone who wants to veg out on old BUCK ROGERS episodes can just buy the boxed set or download them from NetFlix or whatever . . ..
Old January 12 2013, 05:08 PM   #18
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Hyfen_Underskor wrote: View Post
And then there's that annoying trend of misspelling words like "Sci-Fi" (which is a misspelling itself).
Since Sci-Fi is short for Science Fiction, I have no idea what part you think is mispelt.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Yeah. Personally, I think people tend to romanticize the past where Sci Fi/Syfy is concerned. Sure, they aired FARSCAPE back in the old days, but that was only one night a week.
People have hated Syfy as long as I can remember. I do recall posters here being livid about the leaked details regarding the then-upcoming Battlestar Galactica reboot, and writing off Laura Roslin as a Bonnie Hammer insert character.

I don't hate Syfy, but besides their current rerun of TNG in HD and their Canadian import Continuum I have found basically nothing I want to watch on their channel.

I am tenatively looking forward to Defiance, though.
Old January 12 2013, 07:07 PM   #19
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I loved BSG. I liked Caprica. I enjoy their US adaptation of Being Human. Everything else on the network seems mediocre or sci-fi "lite", at best.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 11:38 PM   #20
Hyfen_Underskor
Lieutenant

Like a lot of things, it started out good, and eventually went bad (like AMC), etc.

I used to enjoy the Friday retro, older B flicks, etc. Now it's cheesy made-for-TV-movies, ghost/UFO/Paranormal shows...and the one I just can't figure out....pro wrestling.

And then there's that annoying trend of misspelling words like "Sci-Fi" (which is a misspelling itself).
Honestly, the wrestling is only one night a week. Yes, it's annoying, but it's not like they're running it 24/7.

In the meantime, they still air plenty of good shows, both homegrown and imported: WAREHOUSE 13, BEING HUMAN, FACE/OFF, HOT SET, ALPHAS, LOST GIRL, MERLIN, etc.

And I confess that I enjoy the campy tv-movies like SHARKTOPUS and FLU BIRD HORROR. If you're in the right frame of mind, they can be as fun as the "older B-flicks" you mentioned before . . . .

(Say the guy who grew up watching the likes of VALLEY OF THE GWANGI and MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS.)
As far as pro wrestling, I'm not so much against it as I don't really understand it's inclusion.....sort of. While there is no direct connection with pro wrestling and sci-fi, there seems to have been a connection with sci-fi fans and pro wrestling for some time. Horror movies, paranormal reality shows are no more connected to sci-fi (but often lumped together for convenience) than pro wrestling is. But they are all out there.

Pro wrestling by the way suffers the same problem sci-fi does. They both have a problem with their history. To many, pro wrestling started with Hulk Hogan, cable, pay-tv. To many it seems, sci-fi started with color and elaborate special effects.

The problem with genre/theme channels is that they usually have a generational cut-off. So consequently the older sci-fi programming (movies, tv shows) get pushed aside to retro themed stations like MeTV, TCM, TVLand, etc.

So it's not so much the inclusion of campy more modern movies I take issue with, but the exclusion of those older programs and movies they included in the 90's.
Hyfen_Underskor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 11:44 PM   #21
Hyfen_Underskor
Lieutenant

Tom wrote: View Post
How did AMC go bad? With shows like the Walking Dead, Breaking Bad and mad men, i beg to differ. There movies are not bad either.
I have to sort of put an asterix there, because TCM took their place as far as non-commercial, older movies goes.
Old January 13 2013, 04:29 AM   #22
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

A curious criticism from a poster who chose to misspell both hyphen and underscore in order to have a unique name.

As others have said, it's a way to trademark their name. Honestly, what's the big deal? Would you be complaining about the name if you really liked the content? I would think not.
Old January 13 2013, 05:28 AM   #23
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
For all of the complaints about SyFy, I think there are more people watching the network now than ever before, IIRC..
Yeah. Personally, I think people tend to romanticize the past where Sci Fi/Syfy is concerned. Sure, they aired FARSCAPE back in the old days, but that was only one night a week. Most of their schedule consisted of reruns of old, cancelled shows. I used to refer to it as the Lost Elephant's Graveyard of Dead Genre Shows. I tended to watch the original stuff like THE INVISIBLE MAN and FARSCAPE, but had little interest in rewatching ancient episodes of THE INCREDIBLE HULK or whatever, aside from checking out an occasional ep for nostalgia's sake.

And, of course, now that pretty much everything is available on DVD, there's even less point in a channel that mostly reruns vintage sf shows. Anyone who wants to veg out on old BUCK ROGERS episodes can just buy the boxed set or download them from NetFlix or whatever . . ..
I think it's how it went down, not only did they add wrestling to the lineup but it took place of the day where they showed all their best loved original programming. Not bound to leave a good taste.

And maybe it's because I personally don't care for their reality tv type programming like Ghost Hunters/Face Off/Scare Tactics/etc, etc I would prefer old reruns to that. Though I never understood why they dumped a bunch of episodes into a block rather than air a show in a time slot where one might tune in every day. I suppose the new programming is easier to consume in random chunks and probably works better for the way they air their programs.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 10:42 AM   #24
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Sciffy should rename itself Sturgeon's Law-- 90% of it is crap. However, the other 10% includes some good stuff. The wrestling and paranormal shows belong on other channels, no doubt about it, but much of their original programming is good. Currently, Warehouse 13, Being Human and Lost Girl are very good. Haven is not very good, but it's entertaining. Merlin is good, but I don't get to see it very often. In the past, Sanctuary, Eureka and the first two Stargates were very good. Farscape was good, though I didn't care for it. And, being a big fan of B-Movies, I always tape the Saturday night movie.

I do miss the classic shows-- that's what they should be running instead of the paranormal and wrestling shows. Sure they are available on DVD, but DVDs don't catch and hook casual viewers. MeTV does show a handful of genre shows, but I think the world needs a nostalgia channel devoted exclusively to creative programming.
Old January 13 2013, 06:19 PM   #25
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Sciffy should rename itself Sturgeon's Law-- 90% of it is crap.
SturFy?
Old January 13 2013, 06:26 PM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I think we can all stipulate that the wrestling doesn't belong, but, like I said, it's only one night a week and, at this point, the usual gripes about it have become boring and predictable. It's like complaining about death and taxes; it long ago lost any entertainment value!

Last edited by Greg Cox; January 14 2013 at 12:25 AM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 06:26 PM   #27
Hyfen_Underskor
Lieutenant

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

A curious criticism from a poster who chose to misspell both hyphen and underscore in order to have a unique name.

As others have said, it's a way to trademark their name. Honestly, what's the big deal? Would you be complaining about the name if you really liked the content? I would think not.
I know. That's why I made the comment (because it's really not a big deal, and I purposely misspelled my user name).
Old January 13 2013, 06:48 PM   #28
NKemp3
Commodore

In the meantime, they still air plenty of good shows, both homegrown and imported: WAREHOUSE 13, BEING HUMAN, FACE/OFF, HOT SET, ALPHAS, LOST GIRL, MERLIN, etc.
Only problem is not one of those shows, with the possible exception of Alphas, is any good.
Old January 13 2013, 07:43 PM   #29
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I think we can all stipulate that the wresting doesn't belong, but, like I said, it's only one night a week and, at this point, the usual gripes about it have become boring and predictable. It's like complaining about death and taxes; it long ago lost any entertainment value!
Sure, they aired FARSCAPE back in the old days, but that was only one night a week.
Those nights can be significant. I get your point but I think it's valid in a thread about the Syfy Channel.

And Farscape wasn't alone in that slot, there was usually something else with it. I used to look forward to ending the work week with Sci-Fi Friday. Maybe Syfy is trying to encourage me to do something less lame with my weekend but I used to enjoy that.
Old January 13 2013, 09:40 PM   #30
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

NKemp3 wrote: View Post
Only problem is not one of those shows, with the possible exception of Alphas, is any good.
Well, that's a matter of taste. I actually like most of those shows quite a bit, and wouldn't necessarily put ALPHAS at the top of the pack. I'm actually very psyched about LOST GIRL and BEING HUMAN coming back tomorrow . . . .

(Granted, I admit to being biased where WH13 is concerned, but, honestly, I was a big fan of the show before I got tapped to write the book!)