Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 13 2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain
Character choice

Which Star Trek character do you like the least (and why)?

A) B4

B) Young Wesley

C) Harry Kim

D) Chakotay

E) Rom

Last edited by Captain McBain; January 13 2013 at 04:11 AM.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 03:42 AM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Character choice

F) Neelix

Why? The Annoyance Factor, which must be a specialty for Ethan Phillips. His character in the film The Island had some Neelix qualities too.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Nog doesn't belong on that list. He was a perfectly believable teenager, much more so than Wesley, who had a great character arc, from goofy kid hanging out on the Promenade to the first Ferengi in Starfleet and wounded war veteran . . .
Old January 13 2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Nog doesn't belong on that list. He was a perfectly believable teenager, much more so than Wesley, who had a great character arc, from goofy kid hanging out on the Promenade to the first Ferengi in Starfleet and wounded war veteran . . .

(Plus, I always liked writing Jake and Nog.)
I meant Rom, the dorky adult Ferengi. Technically, though, I can include anyone, regardless of whether they're historically known as 'unlikeable characters.'
Old January 13 2013, 04:17 AM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Melakon wrote: View Post
F) Neelix

Why? The Annoyance Factor, which must be a specialty for Ethan Phillips. His character in the film The Island had some Neelix qualities too.
This.

As for your choices...

-B4 wasn't around enough to be terribly annoying and he wasn't even the worst thing in Nemesis anyways.
-Young Wesley... sure he was annoying, but I found it more annoying they let a kid run around on a starship... think the navy would let my 15 year old cousin play on a nuclear sub?
-Kim... he wasn't annoying, he was pathetic.
-Chakotay... he wasn't annoying, he was boring.
-Rom.... yeah he was annoying at times, but he had the best character arc out of anyone you named too.
Old January 13 2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

(Plus, I always liked writing Jake and Nog.)
I meant Rom, the dorky adult Ferengi. Technically, though, I can include anyone, regardless of whether they're historically known as 'unlikeable characters.'
You know, that makes sense. I was puzzled why you would include Nog . . . complete with a gag-face icon!
Old January 13 2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Melakon
Vice Admiral

I didn't care that much for Spock when I first saw him in 1966. He was the fakiest looking alien I'd seen after viewing gruesome makeups by William Tuttle on Twilight Zone, and work by John Chambers, Wah Chang, and others on The Outer Limits. And of course, back in those days, I was a steady reader of Forrest J. Ackerman's Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine.
--Wee Wee Monsieur (1938)
Melakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 04:42 AM   #8
Captain McBain
Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
F) Neelix

This.

As for your choices...

-B4 wasn't around enough to be terribly annoying and he wasn't even the worst thing in Nemesis anyways.
-Young Wesley... sure he was annoying, but I found it more annoying they let a kid run around on a starship... think the navy would let my 15 year old cousin play on a nuclear sub?
-Kim... he wasn't annoying, he was pathetic.
-Chakotay... he wasn't annoying, he was boring.
-Rom.... yeah he was annoying at times, but he had the best character arc out of anyone you named too.
It's the character you like the least, not the one you find the most annoying.
Old January 13 2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Which Star Trek character do you like the least (and why)?

A) B4

B) Young Wesley

C) Harry Kim

D) Chakotay

E) Rom
If I were listing them in order of least to most liked then what you've got there seems right to me.

B4 - A needless plot element to carry Data on had there been a demand for more films, etc, but in reality just cheapened Data's death--probably the one thing I hated most about Nemesis.

Young Wesley - A kid who shows up the trained officers every week. Fortunately they did get rid of him.

Harry Kim - Goes nowhere, does nothing.

Chakotay - Under used and under developed.

Rom - After he moved away from wanting to kill Quark, he became a sweet character.
Old January 13 2013, 10:37 PM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Major Kira. For a hardened freedom fighter, she was incredibly whiny.
Old January 14 2013, 07:51 AM   #11
Captain McBain
Captain

I guess I'm in the minority, but I never had a problem with Chakotay.
Old January 14 2013, 09:13 AM   #12
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Harry, forever and always. I'd have preferred it if they had an unmanned console on the bridge rather than him.

...And I love Rom.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I guess I'm in the minority, but I never had a problem with Chakotay.
another minority member reporting in I thought him smart, loyal and handsome.

There's nobody on the list that I dislike. I do, however, strongly despise Kirk. Whenever Spock or Bones advised him not to do something, he would invariably do it nevertheless and consequently bring his ship, the crew and plenty of aliens - often even whole civilisations - in severe danger, getting countless nameless redshirts killed in the process and even extinguishing several species by killing their last members. His incompetence even got Spock killed once! How often he violated the prime directive is a question that propably not even Data could answer. A captain who was so ruthless to permanently ignore the regulations, damage the Federation's reputation and refuse to carry out orders ought to have been kicked out of Starfleet after the first 3 months!

Spock would by far have been the better (and more fascinating) captain.

And I am far from being the only one who thinks so: when I was a kid and TOS aired for the first time we'd play Enterprise every day. There was always a quarrel about who got to be Spock. Many of us wanted to be Bones or Scotty, but nobody ever volunteered to be Kirk. As we had to have the character in our games, we counted out who had to be Kirk and the unfortunate victim was much pitied.
Old January 14 2013, 10:10 AM   #14
Arpy
Rear Admiral

If B4 were around longer, I'd say him. But as it stands? Rom. What a waste of screen time. Screw it: awesome make-up aside - and I don't mind Phillips - throw Neelix in there too. Jesus. More wasted screen time.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 08:30 PM   #15
Gary7
Rear Admiral

While Wesley Crusher was there for the young boys and girls to identify with, I didn't like his "over the top" depiction of being such a whiz kid, supposedly leaps and bounds ahead of most adults on the ship. I would've liked seeing Wesley as a little bit more of a rebel, if not fully then just partly. Yes, he did "rebel" in the end, joining the Maquis... but it sure took a helluva long time to get there.

Anyway, if I had to leave Wesley alone then I'd say Chakotay. While I thought it was cool to bring an American Indian into the cast, and I really did like the Chakotay role, I found Beltran's portrayal to be rather flat. He's not a very talented actor. So, Chakotay was on the bottom of the list of characters I enjoyed. And... well, where he ended up afterward kind of speaks for itself.