A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 8 2013, 11:42 AM   #16
Lance
Fleet Captain

Re: popular culture?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The problem, from a dramatic standpoint, is that to have a future celebrity you have to have to first invent some sort of future art or sport
This just reminded me, although they call Baseball a relic which is seldom remembered, it does still seem to carry some currency in the 24th century. Buck Bokai (sp?) is recognised very much as a celebrity.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 05:57 PM   #17
The Wormhole
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Also the "Vulcan Love Slave" holosuite programs on DS9. Which, given what we would later see on ENT ("Acquisition"), were probably based on T'Pol.
In fact the novels suggest just that. I think according to a DS9 novel, the author of the original Vulcan Love Slave was the Ferengi played by Jeffrey Combs in Acquisistion.
Old January 8 2013, 06:12 PM   #18
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I am trying to think - did we ever see much evidence of 'modern' popular culture in Star Trek? Everyone seemed to be into popular culture from many centuries past, did we ever see a 24th century celeb?
Not 24th century, but we heard about a WWIII movie sweeping the awards in ENT: "Home" in 2254, and Carter Winston from TAS: "The Survivor" was a famous rich philanthropist, who amassed a dozen fortunes and used them to help planets and colonies in need, which had made him quite a celebrity.
Old January 9 2013, 07:34 AM   #19
Agonizer
Ensign

Jake Sisko was a reporter for the Federation News Service and later published a collection of short stories about living under Dominion rule. In The Visitor, he had become a famous author.
Agonizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 11:33 AM   #20
Timo
Admiral

Buck Bokai (sp?) is recognised very much as a celebrity.
...By all of two people in the Federation, it seems - Stubbs and Sisko.

Even today, obscurity can carry the appearance of popularity, as a "personal cult" can be effectively constructed by a single person - the fan, not the target of idolatry. However, it doesn't appear as if either Stubbs or Sisko would have actively marketed the virtues of their hero or his obscure field of proficiency to the rest of the world(s). They just found these personally intriguing. I don't think this quite meets the criteria of "popular", as the population involved is so insignificant. (Well, insignificantly small, at any rate.)

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 04:08 AM   #21
TheGoodNews
Lieutenant Commander

I'd think Roddenberry's idea was that human civilization had matured above and beyond the Bread and Circuses of today, or as Guy Debord called it "the Society of the Spectacle."

From the Situationist International anthology:

"The future will only contain what we put into it now."

"The Golden Age was the age when gold didn't reign."

"Commodities are the opium of the people."

"The more you consume, the less you live."

"Are you a consumer or a participant?"

"You will end up dying of comfort."

"Boredom is counterrevolutionary."

"In the decor of the Spectacle, the eye meets only things and their prices."

Data, on regarding television: "That form of entertainment didn't last beyond the year 2040." I keep thinking Roddenberry meant more than just holodecks with that statement.
TheGoodNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 04:43 AM   #22
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Maybe Data forgot to mention, after 2040 people got their entertainment solely from the internet.

I think in 1987 television was considered strictly light entertainment, there was nothing like Sopranos or Breaking Bad, there were mostly network sitcoms and procedurals. So saying we got tired of that is just an extension of saying we stopped caring about frivolous distractions.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 04:48 AM   #23
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Maybe Data forgot to mention, after 2040 people got their entertainment solely from the internet.
Or perhaps at that time, TV became *part of* the Internet. Which it pretty much already is, right now.
Old January 11 2013, 04:51 AM   #24
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Or perhaps at that time, TV became *part of* the Internet. Which it pretty much already is, right now.
Pft, I'm holding out for futuristic wifi where you can download movies directly into your brain!
Old January 11 2013, 04:32 PM   #25
Garrovick
Commander

Well, there were a number of references to the sport of Parrises Squares on TNG and VOY, and it seems to be fairly widespread in the Federation, at least. Given how entrenched sports are in our pop culture now, I'd think they will probably still be a part of it in the 24th century.

Also, there's always Marauder Mo!
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 11:36 PM   #26
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I would really like to know exactly what kind of sport Parrises Squares is, and how it's played. All we know is:

- The rhythm of the game depends on having exactly four players on a team.

- There's a ramp.

- There's an "ion mallet", whatever the hell that is.
Old January 13 2013, 01:04 AM   #27
TheGoodNews
Lieutenant Commander

Roddenberry was probably trying to remain intellectually and maybe even philosophically consistent. The absence of the monetary system in his future vision should presuppose the absence of its main technique for self-perpetuation in the public consciousness (i.e. pop culture/media-consumerism/idolatry). I mean I don't think Roddenberry envisioned Black Fridays or Paris Hilton for his future humanity.

"The Spectacle is capital accumulated to the point where it becomes image." Guy Debord - The Society of the Spectacle.
TheGoodNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 01:45 AM   #28
robau
Lieutenant Commander

A future without celebrities sounds awesome. They can start by no longer airing the obscene Academy Awards circle jerk.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 02:30 AM   #29
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I don't know. The celebrities of the future may not be movie stars and pop bands and such, but there are bound to be colorful, exceptional individuals whose exploits, accomplishments, and/or scandals attract public interest. That's pretty much a constant throughout human history. Look at Cleopatra or Lord Byron or Mark Twain or Charles Dickens or Houdini or Nellie Bly or Buffalo Bill or whomever. Can't imagine that will have changed by Kirk's time.

Indeed, according to "Amok Time," Spock had already become something of a living legend on Vulcan, which is why T'Pring did not want to marry him. Guess she didn't want the spotlight of being the wife of a celebrity!

And I imagine Lenore Karidian generated lots of press. Think about it: glamorous actress-turned-murderer tries for comeback after being "cured" by advanced 23rd century psychiatry. The tabloid headlines practically write themselves!
Old January 13 2013, 02:36 AM   #30
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I don't know. The celebrities of the future may not be movie stars and pop bands and such, but there are bound to be colorful, exceptional individuals whose exploits, accomplishments, and/or scandals attract public interest. That's pretty much a constant throughout human history. Look at Cleopatra or Lord Byron or Mark Twain or Charles Dickens or Houdini or Nellie Bly or Buffalo Bill or whomever. Can't imagine that will have changed by Kirk's time.

Indeed, according to "Amok Time," Spock had already become something of a living legend on Vulcan, which is why T'Pring did not want to marry him. Guess she didn't want the spotlight of being the wife of a celebrity!
She could go on the the Real Housewives of ShiKahr.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote