RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,705
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 437
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 12 2013, 07:33 PM   #691
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Spider wrote: View Post
I was reading three different scifi magazines at the time, and buying dozens of those Ace Doubles. I wonder how many of yall are old enough to remember those Ace Doubles?.
Those are a little before my time, but I remember seeing them around, possibly in libraries and used bookstores. And Tor did a line of Tor Doubles back in the early nineties.

A brief digression: Tor recently revived the Doubles format to publish paired sf novellas by Walter Mosely. By sheer coincidence, I just happened to write the cover copy for next Double a few days ago . . .

Last edited by Greg Cox; January 12 2013 at 07:43 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 07:39 PM   #692
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

DalekJim wrote: View Post
I dunno which was less satisfying a conclusion out of Galactica 1980 or the revived series' "A wizard did it!" ending.
Considering that the polytheism of the humans -versus- the monotheism of the Cylons was a recurring theme throughout the four season run of the show, I'm not surprised that theism in general played a part in the series finale.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 07:45 PM   #693
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

My apologies if someone brought this up earlier in this 47 page thread, but to people who are bothered by the fact that these are alternate universe/timeline versions of the crew - would it have made a difference to you if they had just done a straight-up prequel? Like, set it in the prime universe, just doing a story we never saw before?
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 09:33 PM   #694
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

LobsterAfternoon wrote: View Post
My apologies if someone brought this up earlier in this 47 page thread, but to people who are bothered by the fact that these are alternate universe/timeline versions of the crew - would it have made a difference to you if they had just done a straight-up prequel? Like, set it in the prime universe, just doing a story we never saw before?
You couldn't do the same story at all. You couldn't blow up Vulcan, you couldn't kill Amanda and any danger you put the characters in wouldn't matter because you've already seen how their futures play out.

Either hard or soft, it had to be a reboot if they were going to do a Kirk/Spock origin.
Old January 12 2013, 09:50 PM   #695
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

Would it have to be a reboot if they just showed the original way prime Spock and Kirk met? I don't believe we've ever seen that on screen, and with careful plotting, surely they could've made use of whatever references have been made to it in existing media.

BillJ wrote: View Post
You couldn't do the same story at all. You couldn't blow up Vulcan, you couldn't kill Amanda and any danger you put the characters in wouldn't matter because you've already seen how their futures play out.

Either hard or soft, it had to be a reboot if they were going to do a Kirk/Spock origin.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 09:52 PM   #696
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

A true prequel would be an absolute minefield continuity wise and would likely have had to span a substantially longer period than Trek IX to facilitate the meetings of all the characters.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 10:20 PM   #697
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Would it have to be a reboot if they just showed the original way prime Spock and Kirk met? I don't believe we've ever seen that on screen, and with careful plotting, surely they could've made use of whatever references have been made to it in existing media.
No.
Old January 12 2013, 10:24 PM   #698
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
A true prequel would be an absolute minefield continuity wise and would likely have had to span a substantially longer period than Trek IX to facilitate the meetings of all the characters.
And would have left the "new" STAR TREK movies in the middle of the continuity minefield for every movie to come. "Wait? Why isn't Kirk serving on the Reliant now? Why isn't he dating Janice Lester . . . or Carol Marcus . . . or Ruth . . . ? What about the gas monster from 'Obsession'? Where does Kodos the Executioner fit in? Why is Chekov on the bridge already? Where is Dr. Piper? And Robert April?"

Like I said before, better to tear the "Canon" bandaid off in one clean swoop, rather than get nitpicked to death, continuity-wise, for the next ten years . . . .
Old January 12 2013, 10:29 PM   #699
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

For those eager for a prequel Kirk-meets-Spock film set in the TOS continuity and who don't mind awful acting, there's this fan film coming this year:
Old January 12 2013, 10:31 PM   #700
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
And would have left the "new" STAR TREK movies in the middle of the continuity minefield for every movie to come. "Wait? Why isn't Kirk serving on the Reliant now? Why isn't he dating Janice Lester . . . or Carol Marcus . . . or Ruth . . . ? What about the gas monster from 'Obsession'? Where does Kodos the Executioner fit in? Why is Chekov on the bridge already? Where is Dr. Piper? And Robert April?"

Like I said before, better to tear the "Canon" bandaid off in one clean swoop, rather than get nitpicked to death, continuity-wise, for the next ten years . . . .
One could have easily avoided all that by not doing a TOS remake at all to begin with.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 10:34 PM   #701
marksound
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post

People are going to complain no matter what happens. Trek fans are incredibly anal.

King Daniel wrote: View Post
For those eager for a prequel Kirk-meets-Spock film set in the TOS continuity and who don't mind awful acting, there's this fan film coming this year:
Yikes.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 10:37 PM   #702
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Kirk and Spock met when Kirk became Captain of the Enterprise, end of the Prime story. Likewise, Kirk and McCoy met the first time when McCoy replaced Dr. Piper aboard the Enterprise. It's a big universe. Not everything has to happen in some epic event.

That whole fate idea is horrible.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 10:37 PM   #703
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
One could have easily avoided all that by not doing a TOS remake at all to begin with.
But where's the fun in that?

If people want more TOS, give it to them. Remakes do not violate the Prime Directive.
Old January 12 2013, 10:38 PM   #704
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I would be fine with a remake if they ever decide to make one.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 10:40 PM   #705
marksound
Fleet Captain

But where's the fun in that?

If people want more TOS, give it to them. Remakes do not violate the Prime Directive.
Hear, hear.

If the reboot had been a novel it would likely have been lauded as genius.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote