Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 11 2013, 07:37 PM   #31
Bumbles861
Admiral

Re: David Mack teases The Fall: A Ceremony of Loses

Yes, I see the argument here. I don't disagree overall with the vast swaths of storytelling that has gone on of late but perhaps it would bode well to pepper in some (more) stand alone stories that are started and resolved within a relatively short period of time.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 07:43 PM   #32
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

I really didn't like ZSG. Out of those first four TP novels I only liked Rough Beasts and Paths Of Disharmony.

I wasn't as blown away by Destiny as everyone else, although it did get me back into Treklit.

What did convince me about Mr Mack was the excellent Cold Equations trilogy - truly outstanding ! Looking forward to this one...
Old January 11 2013, 08:08 PM   #33
TJ Sinclair
Captain

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Yes, I see the argument here. I don't disagree overall with the vast swaths of storytelling that has gone on of late but perhaps it would bode well to pepper in some (more) stand alone stories that are started and resolved within a relatively short period of time.
That would be my preference, but I'm sure there'd be a ton of readers who would complain that "nothing happened" and "it's taking too long to catch up."

It's a catch-22 for the editors who are mapping out the plan, and for the writers who are executing it.

It's a testament to the writers that we've gotten some good, legitimate character development at all, amidst all the catastrophic scenarios that have occurred since 2381, story time.
Old January 11 2013, 08:30 PM   #34
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I really didn't like ZSG. Out of those first four TP novels I only liked Rough Beasts and Paths Of Disharmony.

I wasn't as blown away by Destiny as everyone else, although it did get me back into Treklit.

What did convince me about Mr Mack was the excellent Cold Equations trilogy - truly outstanding ! Looking forward to this one...
I'm not all that keen on Destiny, myself, honestly. I certainly don't think it's the best thing that David Mack's ever written. I'll see if Cold Equations will take that moniker when I get to it. At this rate, that'll be sometime next week.

But what "convinced" me about David Mack was "Twilight's Wrath," and then Harbinger.
Old January 11 2013, 08:58 PM   #35
Lee Son of Pete
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Lee Son of Pete's Twitter Profile

Jarvisimo wrote: View Post

also i love the nod to the German embassy of the early twentieth century, and how she has Garak refer to it:

“When I took up residence here, I took the trouble to investigate the history of the place. It turned out to have once been the embassy of a military dictatorship whose name is synonymous with cruelty, aggression, and sheer brutality of the most unspeakable kind. Someone at the Federation Diplomatic Corps went out of their way to calculate that insult so finely. I was quite flattered; I’m sure not everyone earns such particular attention. Besides, it’s a remarkable building and a magnificent city.”
I loved that too, also, as a reader with a more intimate knowledge of Earth than Garak, we could see that the Diplomatic Corps could have been giving Garak hints about how Cardassia could develop, considering what a great place Germany has become.

I like the way Garak is generally used in the novels currently; he'll get one, maybe two pages, but they're usually the best bits of the book.
Lee Son of Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 11:38 AM   #36
Una McCormack
Writer

Lee Son of Pete wrote: View Post
I loved that too, also, as a reader with a more intimate knowledge of Earth than Garak, we could see that the Diplomatic Corps could have been giving Garak hints about how Cardassia could develop, considering what a great place Germany has become.
I hadn't thought about that as part of their motivation, and I think that's brilliant. Thank you very much for that.
Una McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2013, 01:32 AM   #37
Charles Phipps
Commander

I can't wait, really.