Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 12 2013, 03:04 AM   #16
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Re: Painters: Need help impressing a girl.

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Maybe she just doesn't feel like painting.
This!

Painting can be a very personal undertaking, especially if she doesn't do it as a way to earn a living. Is there a way you can go forward with this plan without making it seem like you are pushing her to do something she just doesn't feel like doing?
Old January 12 2013, 03:24 AM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Are you sleeping with her? If so I'm thinking body paint is the way to start. Tell her you've always wanted to be a forest, you have tried to do it yourself but it is awkward.. have a lot of greens and browns and yellow body paints and brushes on hand. Use 'em up a bit so it looks like you did attempt this. Wouldn't hurt to get some under your fingernails too.

"I like the idea of moss.. on my lower stomach, and vines and tendrils.. [blush here] Do you think you could help me?"

But if she's not a nature person you could tell her you want to exist as an H. R. Giger creation. This would go well with your jewellery actually. You may have to body shave for it. Have some plans sketched out. A private installation. Or otherwise.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 03:33 AM   #18
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Have you seen Pillow Book? It's not a very good movie, but it's good art and quite sexy, with lots of body painting!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 03:37 AM   #19
teacake
Admiral

Nope I haven't. If it was set on a space station I would have though.

And then there's camouflage body art guy Liu Bolin:

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/me...sible-man.html

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 12 2013, 03:44 AM   #20
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^There's no spaceship, but there's plenty of penises.

View my art!
Old January 12 2013, 03:50 AM   #21
teacake
Admiral

PAINTED??

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 12 2013, 03:52 AM   #22
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Probably. I can't remember, it's been awhile since I saw it. There were a lot of penises, though, and a lot of painting bodies!

View my art!
Old January 12 2013, 03:56 AM   #23
teacake
Admiral

Well I like penises. Not as much as space ships, though they do have similarities. Not sure I'd want them painted personally (though I recommend Kommander develop a very special plan involving tendrils and/or circuits for his) as they are kind of unusable until you wash it off.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 12 2013, 05:14 AM   #24
nightwind1
Commodore

Kommander wrote: View Post
As I mentioned in one or two other threads, I met a girl at the New Year's Eve party I went to, and things are going well. Going well as far as her and I interacting, anyway.

She's a painter, or was, anyway. While she loves it, she hasn't painted anything in over a year. Things have been rough for her lately. Among other things, a back injury kept her pretty much immobile for a good chunk of last year. She only recently recovered. Because of this, she hasn't felt inspired to paint. Me being the awesome person that I am, I've decided I'm going to help her get the inspiration back and get painting again.

For my first attempt, I want to surprise her with a basic set-up she'd need and try to get her to paint something on the spot. The problem is, I've never painted artistically before, so I don't know what I'm doing:

-- What supplies do I need to buy? Paint, canvas, brushes, and an easel obviously. What kind of paint should I get and what colors? What types of brushes might she want to use? I'd like to try to get stuff that's a little better than what she has (probably pretty basic), but I don't really need high-end stuff. I'm thinking I'd like to spend $200 or less, unless I need to spend more.

-- What do I need to do to get everything ready to use? I want her to be able to just walk up and start painting. How do I get the canvas ready? That kind of stuff.

-- What do I need to do to pull this off?

I'd imagine the people at the art store can help me with a lot of this, but maybe not all of it.

Given how my last thread about trying to impress a girl went:

Doubty McBuzzkill wrote:
It's too early in the relationship to be doing stuff like this. You're going to creep her out and she'll stop talking to you. Just do normal date stuff. Be a totally boring person and not yourself. Even though she's just as eccentric as you are, you should be normal and boring because that's what all women want men to be like because women are all the same and they want all men to be the same and you have no idea what you're doing.
I'm not asking if I should do this or if it's a good idea. It's totally a good idea and I'm going to do it. Even if I can't get her inspired and she doesn't paint anything, she will still love it if I do this. However, I am going to wait a bit. I should probably get a few more dates out of the way before I try something like this. Also, shut up, you have no idea what you're talking about, and I am awesome.

EDIT: About that previous thread. I told the girl involved what I was doing with the story. She said she picked up on it, through what I did was funny, and that it totally would have worked if that's what she was doing (i.e.: if she wasn't in a monogamous relationship). So, everyone who doubted me was wrong.
It's totally NOT a good idea, it's borderline stalker-y to just spring it on her.

Besides which, every artist is different- only she knows what types of paints, brushes, pallets, canvases, easels, etc. that she likes to use. Some artists like oils, some like acrylics. Every artist also has their own favorite brands of materials, their own favorite types and brands of brushes, etc.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 05:55 AM   #25
Grey
Lieutenant Commander

Well, you said you were willing to spend up to $200 or so. That's good, because the whole set up won't be cheat whatever it is.

If you want to get "better than what she has" you'd have to find out what she has first. And it'll probably be pretty expensive to upgrade a full set of painting supplies from there.

As an artist, it has taken me years to build up my collection of paints, brushes, canvases, etc. because buying them all at once would be out of the question. If you're just buying the supplies for one painting, it might not be so bad, though.

Me, personally, I use little tiny canvases (4 x 6 inches and smaller) and those are pretty cheap. Were you thinking of getting one of those huge stand-to-paint-on-it canvases or something kinda smaller?

Find out what she does and what area of painting she does and it'll be easier to help.

As for the springing this on an artist thing...if someone did this to me, they probably wouldn't get a painting so much as a self-deprecating laugh and a shrug off. But I'd appreciate the new art supplies.

Cat Caddy - a comic blog
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 05:59 AM   #26
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I don't think any one artist can speak for the rest. She might really appreciate it, she might not. If someone went and bought me a bunch of canvasses I'd be pleased as punch: those things cost a fortune. If someone bought me paper, I'd probably be grateful, but wouldn't use it; I am very particular about the type of paper on which I draw.

View my art!
Old January 12 2013, 06:13 AM   #27
teacake
Admiral

That's why my idea is so excellent. It's all about HIM while subtly lighting the fire within HER. He should buy the body appropriate paints he wants for an inspired creative idea he has and eagerly request her skills. It's not about how she is burned out, it's about his desire to be her canvas. That's romantic, isn't it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 12 2013, 06:44 AM   #28
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Yeah, I don't think any one artist can speak for the rest. She might really appreciate it, she might not.
Yeah. If someone plopped a piece of paper in front of me and said, "Write a story" I'd probably tell them to go to hell. Some people can do things on the spot and get excited while others would find it annoying.
Old January 12 2013, 06:56 AM   #29
teacake
Admiral

POST NOW SIDIOUS

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 12 2013, 07:31 AM   #30
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

DAMN YOU!