Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade 'The Boy Must Live'
Excellent - Fringe at its best 5 23.81%
Very Good 8 38.10%
Good 5 23.81%
Average 2 9.52%
Bad 1 4.76%
Really Bad 0 0%
Terrible Beyond Words 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 12 2013, 04:16 AM   #91
NCC1701MF
Captain

Re: Fringe 5x11 - "The Boy Must Live" (Discussion, Spoilers)

Now the little wind up music box was playing "Greensleaves", but the melody is also used as a Christmas song called "What Child is This"

Anyone know what the jazz piece was?

"I have many skills" - Xena
"Make it so" - Picard
NCC1701MF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 04:17 AM   #92
NCC1701MF
Captain

Procutus wrote: View Post
NCC1701MF wrote: View Post
Remember next week we start at 8 pm.

Great minds think alike!

And so do we.

"Make it so" - Picard
Old January 12 2013, 04:23 AM   #93
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

After hearing Donald/September explain the plan to get rid of the Observers, there's one nagging question on my mind: if the Observers were to no longer exist, wouldn't that mean September wouldn't be there to save Walter and Peter in the lake?
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 04:27 AM   #94
NCC1701MF
Captain

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
After hearing Donald/September explain the plan to get rid of the Observers, there's one nagging question on my mind: if the Observers were to no longer exist, wouldn't that mean September wouldn't be there to save Walter and Peter in the lake?
And September would not have distracted Walternate when he's trying to find the cure.

"Make it so" - Picard

Last edited by NCC1701MF; January 12 2013 at 05:08 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old January 12 2013, 04:58 AM   #95
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

My enjoyment of the show peaked in seasons 2 and 3, and I've spent most of the current season uninterested by what was going on onscreen. I like some of the things they've done, but feel no real attachment to these characters who are, for the most part, not the characters we first met. Add in the marginalization of Olivia and the closing off of the red universe, and I've come to realize that I'm really just hanging in to see how it ends.

That said, I did a spit take today when I realized that the final plan for the show is to reset time again, giving us yet another universe with people who look like the characters we remember but who may not remember each other or what they've been through. Ugh.

The bright spot? Michael Cerveris was awesome tonight.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 05:03 AM   #96
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
About sacrificing Peter, basically if there are no Observers, Peter (and Walter) will not be saved. That's what I just realized.
There are an insane amount of plot holes, it's time travel.
Old January 12 2013, 06:18 AM   #97
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

NCC1701MF wrote: View Post
And September would not have distracted Walternate when he's trying to find the cure.
If Walternate isn't distracted, then Walter would have no reason to kidnap Peter who would then be cured and grow up in the alt universe. If he meets and has a child with altLivia, then their child would be Henry whose existence somehow prevents the Observer future.

(I'm hoping at some point for an explanation of how Henry would prevent the Observer future and yet Henrietta insures it.)
Old January 12 2013, 08:26 AM   #98
Borgminister

Loved that toe-tapping jazz... and father and son moments all around. Excellent.
Borgminister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 09:17 AM   #99
TimmyWl
Commodore

I liked the episode. The best part was the exchange that Captain Wildmark and the Commander had in the future. Captain Wildmark's confession and listening to the jazz mirrored what Donald/September gone through.

I do agree with IndyJones's opinions somewhat. There is a disconnect to what Fringe was in Season 2/3/4. The alternate universe arc was very interesting. I guess we will see more of it in the finale. I wish Fringe had more time as a series and more of the alternate universe instead of the end as it will be now.
TimmyWl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 02:12 PM   #100
jayceee
Commander

Worf2DS9 wrote: View Post
Sadly, this has been my general impression so far as well. There have been some exciting moments, and the last couple with the kid have kicked things up a notch, but overall THE FINAL SEASON hasn't been as grand as I expected. I've been especially disappointed with Oliva's role this season; she's almost seemed like a side character. I anticipate the final three episodes will be more Fringe-worthy and wrap the series up in a satisfying way, watching it all at once without hiatuses & commercial breaks.

That said, I'll definitely be getting the season on DVD/Blu to complete my collection, and it will possibly play better that way.
Some tv shows I found to be a better watch, when I was able to watch many episodes consecutively in a sitting. For example, shows like Stargate Universe, Caprica, etc ...

In the case of Stargate Universe and Caprica, I found the first several episodes of either show to be slow and dragging. I ended up dropping these shows shortly thereafter.

Eventually I picked up the season dvd sets of both shows. (Found them for around $15 each or less). I found both shows to be much better watches when I was able to go through many episodes in a sitting. The storyline "slowness" wasn't a big factor, when I was able to watch through many episodes one after another in weekend marathon viewing.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 04:13 PM   #101
Procutus
Admiral

Have to agree with both you and Darth Pipes on this, that is indeed a bit of a conundrum. It's the same damn thing that bugged me when Peter went into the machine and created the bridge between the universes. If that action caused Peter to never have existed, then how in the bloody name of Hell could the machine have been activated, since it was keyed to Peter, and ONLY Peter.

I suppose this is one of those things we're not supposed to think too hard about.

Old January 13 2013, 01:32 AM   #102
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Has it been explained why the Observers invaded in the first place? What did they hope to achieve by invading the past?

Has it also been addressed why all the observers are male? I get that they now reproduce in gestation chambers but in their purge of emotions did they simply do away with women? I don't think that we saw any in 2609.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 02:05 AM   #103
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

I believe it's that they wrecked Earth beyond repair.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 03:34 AM   #104
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Has it been explained why the Observers invaded in the first place? What did they hope to achieve by invading the past?

Has it also been addressed why all the observers are male? I get that they now reproduce in gestation chambers but in their purge of emotions did they simply do away with women? I don't think that we saw any in 2609.
Yeah this is why I don't like season 5, just feels liek the writers went "Shit, we need to impress Fox to get a fifth season, let's make Observers badguys and invade".

They haven't explained shit. If they wrecked their planet so badly in the future, then why come back just to wreck it sooner? Makes no sense.

The thinknig on no women is probably as lame as...

Women = Emotional
Emotion = Bad
Women = Bad

I was hoping they would explore the whys of everything in this season, they haven't at all, so I'll just be happy with the other universe showing up again.
Old January 13 2013, 06:16 AM   #105
degra
Fleet Captain

pretty mediocre esp for the penultimate episode and the whole observer arc makes very little sense.

kinda reminds me of how x files wrapped up. In fact only ds9 had a good final season and satisfying finale and tng and nbsg had weak final seasons but excellent finales.
degra is offline   Reply With Quote