RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,411
Posts: 5,359,918
Members: 24,630
Currently online: 509
Newest member: DasGeneral


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 11 2013, 09:58 AM   #31
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore
 
Rhubarbodendron's Avatar
 
Location: milky way, outer spiral arm, Sol 3
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Mimic, I'm an atheist myself. I usually tell religious people I'm neither going to hell nor heaven. I'll simply stay on Earth as it's a nice place. I'll gradually dissolve and my molecules and atoms will be inserted into lots of future myriopods, ants, earthworms, flowers, weeds, the birds and rabbits who eat them, the people who eat those and so on. Some distant descendent of you might have a few of my atoms. I might have a few atoms from some nameless caveman. Maybe even some from a comet or the sun. Or from Jesus (if he ever existed, which still has to be proven by archeologists. So far all we have are stories and legends and not a single official document).
No matter what your religion, your matter will live
__________________
Down with boredom! Post in the Lounges!
Rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 03:18 PM   #32
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

^I once had a nurse (again, wtf is it with me getting shitty nurses?) tell me to eat grapefruit and pray to Mary to help my diabetes and depression. I awkwardly said, "I'm not religious," to which she looked at me piteously and replied, "No wonder you're having such a hard time."
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 03:42 PM   #33
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

^ Grapefruit for depression? Gee, I'll have to try that. TSQ, you do seem to get bizarre nurses. I get the ones who self-disclose way too much. Well, at least one recent one. I did not want to know what her Vitamin D level was or that she was also dx'd with PTSD (and why!).
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 03:53 PM   #34
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: A broken roof
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^I once had a nurse (again, wtf is it with me getting shitty nurses?) tell me to eat grapefruit and pray to Mary to help my diabetes and depression. I awkwardly said, "I'm not religious," to which she looked at me piteously and replied, "No wonder you're having such a hard time."
Wow. Did you complain to her boss? I would have. That's offensive.
__________________
It's all false love and affection
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 05:11 PM   #35
Jim Gamma
Rear Admiral
 
Jim Gamma's Avatar
 
Location: London
Send a message via ICQ to Jim Gamma
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
This one bugs me..

# is a pound sign, Not "hashtag",
I always thought it was "Number" and that £ was "pound"... butyou learn something every day!
__________________
My LJ
TrekBBS LJ community
(AKA Jim Gamma)
Jim Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 05:36 PM   #36
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^I once had a nurse (again, wtf is it with me getting shitty nurses?) tell me to eat grapefruit and pray to Mary to help my diabetes and depression. I awkwardly said, "I'm not religious," to which she looked at me piteously and replied, "No wonder you're having such a hard time."
Wow. Did you complain to her boss? I would have. That's offensive.
I should have, but I was too messed up at the time to bother.
Jim Gamma wrote: View Post
Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
This one bugs me..

# is a pound sign, Not "hashtag",
I always thought it was "Number" and that £ was "pound"... butyou learn something every day!
I always think of it as sharp.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 10:05 PM   #37
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Where my heart is.
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
This one bugs me..

# is a pound sign, Not "hashtag",
A friend has a bumper sticker to that effect.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 10:39 PM   #38
Kenbushway
Captain
 
Kenbushway's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

I now have to take 5 months or 1 semester off from college because at first they offered 1 class I needed but not the other. I just need 2 classes and then I get my diploma; then I can get Hope scholarship for my degree. At first they offered a welding class but not climate control, I need the climate control and I also need welding. But when they finally decided to have climate control for spring semester it was at the same time as welding. The only other elective I can have is Bio-fuels but they canceled that class so they could fit in Climate Control. So basically I am now stuck at home for 5 months; I could have graduated by 2014 but no now its 2015. Eventually I would like to get a life going.
__________________
"The typical investor would be better off if his stocks had no market quotations at all, for he would be spared the mental anguish caused him by other persons' mistakes of judgement."
Benjamin Graham - The Intelligent Investor Chpt 8.
Kenbushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 11:00 PM   #39
bbailey861
Admiral
 
bbailey861's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, ON
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Jim Gamma wrote: View Post
Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
This one bugs me..

# is a pound sign, Not "hashtag",
I always thought it was "Number" and that £ was "pound"... butyou learn something every day!
Yes, # is a number sign. Who the hell changed it, anyway?
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 11:02 PM   #40
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

The closest thing I have to a rant is against people who hold irrational grudges (yeah, I know, as if there's any other kind ). Those who go out of their way to insult a specific person they hate, and get on that person's back for the slightest misdeed or mispost yet let everyone else get away with far worse things...that really pisses me off. Especially when the person with the grudge has authority and uses it as a battering ram/bully pulpit which can't be ignored.
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 12:33 AM   #41
propita
Rear Admiral
 
Location: fresno, ca, us
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

Gil T.Azell wrote: View Post
This one bugs me..

# is a pound sign, Not "hashtag",
Bugs me, too!


propita wrote: View Post
Hubby got diagnosed diabetic recently. When he lost 10 pounds, his stupid number went up by 10! Yeah, he can improve his diet and exercise. And me with all my health issues, my number stays under 90. Genetics plays a big part--diabetes runs in his family, not mine, yet his family lives to their 80s and even 90s.
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Type 2, I'm guessing? I wish people would specify.

A 10 point raise in blood sugar level as measured in mg/dl the (US), and not mmol/L (A1C and the rest of the world), is just as likely to be variance in the meter as it is in the actual blood sugar level. A 10 point raise in mmol/L would be very unlikely and mean certain hospitalization or death. 10 points variance in mg/dl is normal in healthy people, I wouldn't think much of it.

I'm assuming Type 2, since it's recent though he has been tending that way for 10 years or so. Then his number went over the limit. I think he's about 140.

He's trying. Shoot, he's a pharmacist, he knows what's what.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 12:51 AM   #42
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

140 is above average, but not excessive.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 01:00 AM   #43
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

propita wrote: View Post
propita wrote: View Post
Hubby got diagnosed diabetic recently. When he lost 10 pounds, his stupid number went up by 10! Yeah, he can improve his diet and exercise. And me with all my health issues, my number stays under 90. Genetics plays a big part--diabetes runs in his family, not mine, yet his family lives to their 80s and even 90s.
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Type 2, I'm guessing? I wish people would specify.

A 10 point raise in blood sugar level as measured in mg/dl the (US), and not mmol/L (A1C and the rest of the world), is just as likely to be variance in the meter as it is in the actual blood sugar level. A 10 point raise in mmol/L would be very unlikely and mean certain hospitalization or death. 10 points variance in mg/dl is normal in healthy people, I wouldn't think much of it.

I'm assuming Type 2, since it's recent though he has been tending that way for 10 years or so. Then his number went over the limit. I think he's about 140.

He's trying. Shoot, he's a pharmacist, he knows what's what.

If there is trending involved it is definitely type 2. There's no trending in type 1 (except with the extremely rare exception of LADA type 1). I hope I didn't come off as rude, it's just that this is what I'm talking about -- tons of people with type 2 don't even know the difference themselves. If he had type 1, you would know. His blood glucose at diagnosis would probably have been between 600-800, not 140. 140 is gold for a type 1. He would likely have been near comatose, and definitely would have been hospitalized for several days upon diagnosis. He would be taking multiple shots of insulin a day or be on an insulin pump, and checking his sugars 4-12 times daily. He would not be able to survive without insulin. You would have been taught the warning signs of hypos, and how to use a glucagon kit in case he had a seizure or blacked out. He would carry some form of glucose with him at all times to counter hypos, and would likely wake up in the middle of the night at least once a week to do night time glucose monitoring.

See, it's a completely different disease, and people don't get that. That's what's hard when you're type 1.

As for the 10 point variance: glucometers are accurate within a range. He could test his sugar once, and then immediately afterwards and it could vary by as much as 20-25 points on the same meter. 10 points doesn't really tell you anything, type 1 or 2, because it could be the meter variance or the test strip variance. Of course, this goes for meter testing. A lab test, which is on blood syrum rather than whole blood, is more accurate, and in that case a 10 point variance might mean something.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 01:04 AM   #44
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

sojourner wrote: View Post
140 is above average, but not excessive.
140 is dead center my target range!
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 02:10 AM   #45
sojourner
Vice Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
140 is above average, but not excessive.
140 is dead center my target range!
Yeah, I was always told to shoot for 80 - 120, but always felt more comfortable at the high end. 140 is fine for me.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
rant

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.