Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 11 2013, 11:55 PM   #151
Grey
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Confessions: You do it and you know it is bad

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
This is in spite of convention programs almost always saying that you should shower every day. That they even have to mention this makes me go .

Seriously, people. Bathe.

I was at a gaming convention once where they had these little containers of deodorizer. They just sat on each table, supposedly absorbing the stink. The room still smelled bad. I was only able to stand a few minutes of it. Gross.
When I went to an anime convention for the first time, I was a little surprised to read all the literature saying bathe, sleep, eat something other than pocky and drink some water!

It's like, wow. This is that much of a problem, huh?

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Confessions, eh? Ok, mine involve ebooks.

I have a Nook. I buy ebooks from B&N, but also buy them from Kindle and other places. As soon as I've bought anything non-B&N, I download it, strip the DRM and convert it to ePub (format for the Nook). I then stick it in a folder with titles I've downloaded from B&N, before copying it to my Nook.

I'm not sharing the files. But I've also been around long enough to have seen instances where "big brother" has gone in and yanked files that were purchased legally. Damn right I'll back those files up.

If I get some other ereader in the future, I'll do the same thing with that.
I'm not really all that familiar with ereaders, but are they all that proprietary? If you have a Nook you can't ever read anything bought from Amazon without all that DRM stripping and hoop jumping (and vice versa I'd assume)?

Screw that!

Gary7 wrote: View Post
kolibri wrote: View Post
In college, I used to go back out to my car to eat lunch. Sometimes it would be a good three quarters of a mile walk to where I parked, but I didn't care. I just liked the feeling of crushing peoples hopes of finding a parking spot. That look of utter disappointment when they realized I wasn't leaving...It felt so good.

The fact that I myself had to wait for an hour to find that spot made it all the sweeter.
That really is obnoxious. Why? Because you don't know who you're spiting (might even be a friend or possible love interest). And just how long does the good feeling last? I imagine not too long. What happened? Did someone do this to you once and you're obsessed with getting revenge?

I only bring this up because I've been on the other end of that a few times. I pull up to a spot where I saw someone get into their car. As soon as they see me waiting with my signal on, it's like they shift into slow motion. Then with the engine and lights on, they go to the back of the car, pop the trunk and rummage around in it for a bit, pretending to "adjust" their bags. The telltale sign was the smirk flashed as they closed the trunk and slowly sauntered back into the car. Not a friendly smile. A smug grin that telegraphed "heh, I'm making you wait and it feels so good." And they don't even know me. Just blatant anonymous hostility. Sickening.
Wow.

I guess it's a little petty to feel smug and satisfied that everyone wants your spot and won't be getting it (I've disappointed many a car vulture myself, though not on purpose), but this level of ire over it?

Nobody deserves a parking spot anymore than the next guy! And everyone's had to wait just as long to get it. Just move on to the next spot if someone's being a douche about the spot they won't be giving up!

Cat Caddy - a comic blog
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 11:57 PM   #152
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

If you're in a car and you're following people around the parking lot like a damn vulture, that's more irritating than if you're in the car and lingering in the spot. Once you're there, the spot's yours and you don't have to give it up. What if it's a worker on their lunch break and they just want to listen to their iPod in the car?

That being said: People who park in handicapped spaces and are not themselves handicapped should be beaten like a rented mule.
Old January 12 2013, 12:18 AM   #153
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Grey wrote: View Post
OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Confessions, eh? Ok, mine involve ebooks.

I have a Nook. I buy ebooks from B&N, but also buy them from Kindle and other places. As soon as I've bought anything non-B&N, I download it, strip the DRM and convert it to ePub (format for the Nook). I then stick it in a folder with titles I've downloaded from B&N, before copying it to my Nook.

I'm not sharing the files. But I've also been around long enough to have seen instances where "big brother" has gone in and yanked files that were purchased legally. Damn right I'll back those files up.

If I get some other ereader in the future, I'll do the same thing with that.
I'm not really all that familiar with ereaders, but are they all that proprietary? If you have a Nook you can't ever read anything bought from Amazon without all that DRM stripping and hoop jumping (and vice versa I'd assume)?

Screw that!
Nooks use the open ePub format, so usually no DRM there. It's Amazon's Kindle that uses a proprietary format, and one of the very few e-readers that doesn't support ePub. It's one of the main reasons I got my wife a Nook instead of a Kindle.
Old January 12 2013, 12:25 AM   #154
Grey
Lieutenant Commander

B.J. wrote: View Post
Nooks use the open ePub format, so usually no DRM there. It's Amazon's Kindle that uses a proprietary format, and one of the very few e-readers that doesn't support ePub. It's one of the main reasons I got my wife a Nook instead of a Kindle.
Oh, wow. Ok.

Cat Caddy - a comic blog
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 12:26 AM   #155
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
People who park in handicapped spaces and are not themselves handicapped should be beaten like a rented mule.
Amen! One piece of trivia that infuriated me when I read the bio of Steve Jobs was that he regularly parked in handicapped spots (long before he got sick). Grrr.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 01:10 AM   #156
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
People who park in handicapped spaces and are not themselves handicapped should be beaten like a rented mule.
Amen! One piece of trivia that infuriated me when I read the bio of Steve Jobs was that he regularly parked in handicapped spots (long before he got sick). Grrr.
I never realized how often it happened until my mother got her disabled tag about 3 years ago. She has paralysis in one leg and for a while required a walker (though now she usually gets by with just her leg brace and sometimes a cane if she's tired). Every single time we go somewhere it seems there is someone without a tag in the disabled spot.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 02:04 AM   #157
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I can eat a tube of Pringle's in one night.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 02:05 AM   #158
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

One night? I can eat them in one minute. Okay 5 minutes. With beer.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 02:27 AM   #159
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^
Old January 12 2013, 02:12 PM   #160
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
SmoothieX wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^On the floor after a couple has screwed on it. Have you never been clubbing?
Awesome, was it spooge or lady goo?
Spooge.

Spoooooge.

Never heard that term before, and still enjoying it !

Still sorry....
Oh good, I can cross off 'teach someone an Americanism today' off my list of things to do.

What do you chaps call it on the other side of the pond. I'm assuming in proper English, it's something dignified, like...throat yogurt.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 03:07 PM   #161
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

^That would be really weird -considering yoghurt is made with bacteria usually found in the opposite end of the digestive system...
Old January 12 2013, 03:18 PM   #162
Relayer1
Commodore

Awesome, was it spooge or lady goo?
Spooge.

Spoooooge.

Still sorry....
Oh good, I can cross off 'teach someone an Americanism today' off my list of things to do.

What do you chaps call it on the other side of the pond. I'm assuming in proper English, it's something dignified, like...throat yogurt.
Yup, your work here is done....

Oh yes, really dignified ! Most of the same words you use I think. Except spunk, which I gather has an altogether different meaning over there.

Spooge. Yes, still makes me smile...
Old January 12 2013, 03:42 PM   #163
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I never realized how often it happened until my mother got her disabled tag about 3 years ago. She has paralysis in one leg and for a while required a walker (though now she usually gets by with just her leg brace and sometimes a cane if she's tired). Every single time we go somewhere it seems there is someone without a tag in the disabled spot.
I normally look and see if the cars parked in disabled spots here have tags/plates. I'm not disabled or anything, I just check out of curiosity. I almost never see someone illegally parked in a disabled spot here. Then again, you get fined $250 for the first offense here, and at least $250 for subsequent offenses, plus community service. New Jersey don't fuck around.

I'm fine with the harsh penalties. There's no reason to park in one of those spots without a tag unless you're just an inconsiderate, lazy ass.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 04:23 PM   #164
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Spooge.

Spoooooge.

Still sorry....

Yup, your work here is done....

Oh yes, really dignified ! Most of the same words you use I think. Except spunk, which I gather has an altogether different meaning over there.

Spooge. Yes, still makes me smile...
I don't get it

What's wrong with salty licorice?

Old January 12 2013, 05:49 PM   #165
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

I normally look and see if the cars parked in disabled spots here have tags/plates. I'm not disabled or anything, I just check out of curiosity. I almost never see someone illegally parked in a disabled spot here. Then again, you get fined $250 for the first offense here, and at least $250 for subsequent offenses, plus community service. New Jersey don't fuck around.

I'm fine with the harsh penalties. There's no reason to park in one of those spots without a tag unless you're just an inconsiderate, lazy ass.
I don't see it as often as I used to, but still too often.

One day I had just pulled into a handicapped parking spot at a mall, and a county cop came over and asked to see my license and the certification card that goes with my hangtag. I was delighted he asked! Really shocked him. Apparently everyone else he'd checked that morning had NOT been disabled and had been indignant that they'd been caught.

In Maryland, the fines vary by jurisdiction. I've seen as low as $85 and high as $300.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote