TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 11 2013, 07:31 PM   #16
Flake
Commodore

Re: internet campaign to restore star trek final frontier starts

^^ Your wrong, Lens Flares would improve it massively.

I don't mind TFF because of the character moments and it also has some pretty intense scenes as well, infact TFF is the first Trek movie I watched and helped me to get hooked on Trek! So it can't be that bad, though I can't imagine the same thing happening to a child of today :P
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 07:36 PM   #17
shatastrophic
Commander

I would like the Director's edition of The Motion Picture to come out on blu ray before Final Frontier gets love...
Old January 11 2013, 08:25 PM   #18
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Interestingly I read this interview with Rob Meyer Burnett yesterday where he argues for a directors cut. It actually sounds like it would be a good movie! It's not just about the effects...

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01092...rburnett1.html

Rob Meyer Burnett wrote:
I'd always wanted to do a Director's Cut of Star Trek V just as Paramount had done earlier with Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and I really wanted to go in and rebuild – or at least have CGI versions of – the rock men, and really redo the ending of Star Trek V and fix things. There’s a lot of really sloppy, bad work. The famous ‘rocket boots up the corridors of the Enterprise’ that are backwards, and there are way too many decks on the Enterprise; you’re at like Deck 75, then you’re at Deck 50, then you’re back up to Deck 75 again, or whatever the numbers are… it’s like, come on, man! We all know that Deck 1 is the bridge, and it goes down from there!

I wanted to fix all that, because I think the great problem with Star Trek V is the tone. I think there’s a much better – you could go in there and recut and restructure that movie and get rid of all the really dumb humor. Once those really horrible tonal inconsistencies were fixed, there’s a really emotional, really touching movie in there. But what it needed… now that we’ve got time, and in hindsight you can look at that and say look, the studio – because Star Trek IV was the biggest-grossing Trek film at that time – the studio said “Okay, you have this very serious, thoughtful movie, but you have to inject humor into it.”
William Shatner, as far as humor is concerned, he tends to go very broad. He likes broad humor. One of the things I said to him when we were making Free Enterprise, knowing that, was “You know, Bill, this film would not work with a lot of broad humor. The only way ‘Free Enterprise’ is going to work is if the audience at any one time has to wonder – is your character serious, or are you insane?” Shatner was like “Oh, I totally get that. I get that. You’re exactly right.”
He played it that way, and I think that if Star Trek V… if they made the ‘Row, Row, Row Your Boat’ humor – if they played it the same way, but not as broadly – it would have been even funnier! “I don’t think you know the gravity of the situation!” and Spock, you know, swoops down like Superman and saves Kirk… come on, dude. That’s just really goofy. The fan dance, Scotty hitting his head on the bulkhead, “Don’t you know a jailbreak when you see one!”… it’s like, could we tone this stupid humor down?
I think Star Trek V has great moments in it, and I think that if you had somebody come in… also, the problem is – from an economic standpoint – of all the original films, it’s the least-selling. It has the least amount of box office [revenues], so you’re not going to get the people to invest any money into it because the sales figures don’t bear that out.
*Sorry - FrontierTrek has already posted something similar about this

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=199912

Last edited by MikeS; January 11 2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Another thread exists about a ST:V directors cut
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 09:24 PM   #19
Dukhat
Commodore

^All I got from that quote is that he wants to cut scenes out to make the movie flow better. So the finished product would still be a shitty movie, but a shitty movie with a few less shitty scenes.
Old January 11 2013, 10:19 PM   #20
MikeS
Fleet Captain

^Isn't that what happens in most directors cuts?

Thanks for the constructive comments.
Old January 11 2013, 10:24 PM   #21
Jeyl
Commodore

Dukhat wrote: View Post
While it's true that Bran Ferren's VFX were inferior to ILM's, that usually gets cited as a severe problem with TFF when it in fact isn't.
SFDebris agrees.

SFDebris: Shatner was denied a Director's Cut with money for new effects and all that. But even if they had been eye-boggingly awesome, it'd at best would have bumped this up to a 2 (score was 1 out of 10), because the primary flaws were flaws from day one. When the novelization is more beloved because it at least tries to make sense, you know you failed.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 11:43 PM   #22
jayrath
Fleet Captain

To the naysayers: there is a very easy way to improve TFF.

Slingshot around the sun, go back in time, and settle the writer's strike that prevented the script from going through several more drafts.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 11:50 PM   #23
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

jayrath wrote: View Post

Slingshot around the sun, go back in time, and settle the writer's strike that prevented the script from going through several more drafts.
Okay, that I could get behind . . .

Honestly, it's not just about the SFX. I don't even remember the SFX being particularly bad. That was never the issue, at least as far as I was concerned. The script was the problem.
Old January 12 2013, 12:01 AM   #24
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

Honestly, it's not just about the SFX. I don't even remember the SFX being particularly bad. That was never the issue, at least as far as I was concerned. The script was the problem.
But Trek Time Travel doesn't work like that anymore. If you went back in time, and had the script fixed, it would be another Universe's TFF that you would be improving, not ours

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 12:04 AM   #25
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

But Trek Time Travel doesn't work like that anymore. If you went back in time, and had the script fixed, it would be another Universe's TFF that you would be improving, not ours

So it would be NuTFF?
Old January 12 2013, 12:15 AM   #26
Dream
Admiral

MikeS wrote: View Post
Rob Meyer Burnett wrote:
That’s just really goofy. The fan dance, Scotty hitting his head on the bulkhead, “Don’t you know a jailbreak when you see one!”… it’s like, could we tone this stupid humor down?
Too bad Paramount didn't remember how much the stupid humor harmed TFF when they made Insurrection!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 12:15 AM   #27
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

So it would be NuTFF?
Yessirree Bob

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 10:10 AM   #28
Lance
Commodore

milo bloom wrote: View Post
Good FX can't save a bad movie, but bad FX can make the experience of a mediocre movie worse. And for all it's flaws, TFF actually has a lot of heart and quite frankly feels the most like an episode of TOS, more than any other movie. Fixing the bad FX and animating the Rockmen sequences would go a long way towards making it a little easier to watch the movie.
On the other hand, it could be argued that the movie's (frankly) less than stellar special effects are one contributing factor to it feeling so much like an episode of TOS. Wouldn't taking away the bad effects defeat the purpose? Some movies are just fated to be bad from the outset. TFF is one of them.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 01:23 AM   #29
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
Rob Meyer Burnett wrote:
That’s just really goofy. The fan dance, Scotty hitting his head on the bulkhead, “Don’t you know a jailbreak when you see one!”… it’s like, could we tone this stupid humor down?
Too bad Paramount didn't remember how much the stupid humor harmed TFF when they made Insurrection!
Reading that made me imagine Spock asking McCoy about how he feels about his boobs firming up.

Don't think anybody would be snuggling round the fire after that.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2013, 06:24 AM   #30
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

All I think of when it comes to TFF is it was hard to believe after the huge success that was TVH - broad based success at that - that the franchise fell so hard flat on its face and probably set it back with a good bit of fans and more of the general public.

TUC went a long way to redeeming TOS crew, but I don't think Trek rebounded as well with the masses until ST09.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote