RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 410
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 11 2013, 02:43 PM   #661
Spider
Dirty Old Man

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Star Trek did not need a reboot, and the actors in the new films in no way make me think they are who their parts are. That is not Kirk.

Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy the film, I did. I own it, and have watched it six or seven times now. But that isn't Kirk, or McCoy or any of them. It's just a good movie is all, and I can settle for that.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 04:38 PM   #662
bbailey861
Admiral

Yes, Star Trek needed a reboot in order to make it relevant to today's younger audience. Nope, it's not the same, but it is fun. That nuTrek movie alone has allowed me to introduce my Star Trek to a younger audience without having them simply roll their eyes and walk away.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 06:17 PM   #663
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

bbailey861 wrote: View Post
Yes, Star Trek needed a reboot in order to make it relevant to today's younger audience. Nope, it's not the same, but it is fun. That nuTrek movie alone has allowed me to introduce my Star Trek to a younger audience without having them simply roll their eyes and walk away.
Fortunatly the worst of Abrams traits (ooooooverrrly maudlin schmaltzy death/near death scenes)* gets over and done with before the credits. I'm surprised that some Peter Gabriel or Bob Dylan song wasn't playing over the destruction of the Kelvin.

all IMHO of course. My wife and daughter boo-hoo every time at that scene. And me (being a bigger crybaby than anyone) just roll my eyes.

* Same thing in LOST when **** is hanging on to Sawyer and he's going "Don't you do it!!!!". My wife is crying and I'm saying out loud "He's just ripping off An Officer and a Gentleman!!"
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 08:34 PM   #664
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Spider wrote: View Post
But that isn't Kirk, or McCoy or any of them.
Yes it is.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 08:40 PM   #665
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Star Trek did not need a reboot, and the actors in the new films in no way make me think they are who their parts are. That is not Kirk.
Just curious: Do you think that Daniel Craig is James Bond?
Old January 11 2013, 08:43 PM   #666
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Yes it is, infact they nailed it closer than I think any other group of people could have. And they weren't even obliged to do so for the film, but did so anyway, because Abrams cared enough to make that effort. Correction, they all cared enough to do so.
Old January 11 2013, 09:28 PM   #667
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Yes it is, infact they nailed it closer than I think any other group of people could have. And they weren't even obliged to do so for the film, but did so anyway, because Abrams cared enough to make that effort. Correction, they all cared enough to do so.
Yea, Pine did a believable interpretation of Kirk, that was different, but, fit the character well, but, Quinto and Urban did an excellent job of completely embodying Spock and McCoy

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 09:29 PM   #668
Shanndee
Commodore

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Agreed. I also believe that Star Trek needed the reboot quite desparately. The franchise was truly dead, and it had become nothing other than a pleasant memory to me. Then came Star Trek 09 and it was vital and interesting again. Co-workers were actually discussing it, and the teenagers who work part time were actively searching out the different TV series. I would call that a success.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 10:00 PM   #669
CorporalClegg
Admiral

But that isn't Kirk.
Thomas Betterton isn't Hamlet!
Sarah Bernhardt isn't Hamlet!
Lawrence Olivier isn't Hamlet!
Peter O'Toole isn't Hamlet!
Kenneth Branagh isn't Hamlet!
Patrick Stewart isn't Hamlet!

You get the idea.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 10:10 PM   #670
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
But that isn't Kirk.

You get the idea.
Yabbut, that's only Shakepeare. Shakespeare is like the Village Bicycle, EVERYONE gets a ride.

But, we're talking about the Holy and venerable Star Trek here, it's completely different [/sarcasm]

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 10:16 PM   #671
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
But that isn't Kirk.

You get the idea.
Well...Patrick Stewart ISN'T Hamlet actually.

And I don't think this counts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7lv1SDzno
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 04:28 AM   #672
Spider
Dirty Old Man

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I don't watch the James Bond movies. Maybe I should, they're supposed to be good, but I've just never been interested in them. I'd rather watch a bad scifi movie than a good movie of another type. Personal tastes and all that kind of stuff.

As to the rest of yall, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Perhaps I left out the "IMO" in my post, but I'm not changing my mind. That isn't the real crew of the original Enterprise. It's a reboot. And also like I said, it was a good movie. Especially the beginning about Kirk's father. That was terrific. I can't wait for the next movie. But, for me, there is only one James T Kirk.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 04:38 AM   #673
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

There may be one James T. Kirk, but he can be played by multiple actors.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 06:45 AM   #674
Shanndee
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I don't watch the James Bond movies. Maybe I should, they're supposed to be good, but I've just never been interested in them. I'd rather watch a bad scifi movie than a good movie of another type. Personal tastes and all that kind of stuff.

As to the rest of yall, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Perhaps I left out the "IMO" in my post, but I'm not changing my mind. That isn't the real crew of the original Enterprise. It's a reboot. And also like I said, it was a good movie. Especially the beginning about Kirk's father. That was terrific. I can't wait for the next movie. But, for me, there is only one James T Kirk.
That's fair enough. I'm glad you enjoyed the 2009 movie as a generic movie. A lot of people don't even admit to that much. It's the general "that's not the real crew" that I was responding to.

I have friends that believe that the only Bond was Sean Connery, but they enjoy some of the others as generic films. I get that; and we can have good discussions about the merits of individual films.

It's when Star Trek 09 gets summarily dismissed by people because that's "not the real crew" that I need to respond.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 01:12 PM   #675
UFO
Captain

Shanndee wrote: View Post
That's fair enough. I'm glad you enjoyed the 2009 movie as a generic movie. A lot of people don't even admit to that much. It's the general "that's not the real crew" that I was responding to.
It's when Star Trek 09 gets summarily dismissed by people because that's "not the real crew" that I need to respond.
Then you may need to respond again because the crew of "an" Enterprise we saw in ST09 were clearly not the original crew (even the film tries to give that impression, sort of). At best they are copies of those people. Some may not even be the same genetically. So anyone who wants to say they are not the original Kirk and Spock etc (with one exception), are perfectly correct.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote