Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 1 2013, 11:11 AM   #241
lennier1
Commodore

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

bullethead wrote: View Post
lennier1 wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
It's Funimation, but yeah, no one knows if they're gonna dub it or release a sub only set (although IIRC most Funi DVDs/BDs have dubs).
As long as they don't pull a Tokyopop (Remember Initial D?) I don't see a problem with that. Those of us who want a subtitled version already have the original as an option anyway.
I really don't know what that means. I assume it has to do with Stu Levy's bad translation of the opening credits.
They changed character names & personalities, ruined the soundtrack and butchered the plot. The damage is not in Macek's league, but it still makes me glad the company has gone down the drain.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 02:01 AM   #242
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Funimation is like the opposite end of the spectrum. They're the most respectable and largest anime distributor in the US, accurate translations, releases always bilingual (the anime anyway), usually provides a BD option, reasonably priced, etc. They are the company you want to get something if you want to see it treated right. I've only had a few issues with them, such as them not finishing a couple series I was interested in due to poor sales.

Last edited by zakkrusz; January 2 2013 at 02:12 AM.
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 04:29 PM   #243
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Funimation USED to be really bad (see the original DBZ DVDs and those atrocious orange box releases), but they have redeemed themselves with stuff like the dragon boxes. I hope anything Yamato related they license does at least well enough to justify releasing 2199 at an affordable price in NA, I refuse to pay the absurd Japanese prices for importing discs.

It's also important to point an unfortunate fact out that Matsumoto stuff tends to not sell that well over here, it makes me wish more people would put the shonen down for a few seconds and take a look at something else, so fans of things like Yamato could be thrown a bone very once in a while, but that's a topic for a different thread.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 02:02 AM   #244
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Welll to be fair, most of Motsumoto's stuff dates from the 70's, and in general theres not a huge following for any show from that era.

I wouldn't say its completely dead though. Theres still a good number of anime modellers and SF spacecraft fans who love the hardware from the show.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 06:01 AM   #245
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Welll to be fair, most of Motsumoto's stuff dates from the 70's, and in general theres not a huge following for any show from that era.

I wouldn't say its completely dead though. Theres still a good number of anime modellers and SF spacecraft fans who love the hardware from the show.
Yeah, I'd say the fact that Matsumoto's stuff is from the 70s hurts his cache in the West, especially since 70s anime aged a lot worse than a good amount of western animation in terms of aesthetics and visual quality. And let's not forget that he hasn't made anything recently and when he did, it was kinda shit.
Old January 11 2013, 09:10 AM   #246
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Well at least some of the troubles might be fixed by this news (in Japanese)

http://yamato2199.net/news.html#yamato2199_tv

MBS, TBS to air Space Battleship Yamato 2199 on Sunday nights at 5:00pm starting in April.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 03:07 PM   #247
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

TBS in America? Interesting. That's not where I would have expected to see it, but if true, that's all kinds of awesome. I'm assuming it will be subbed and not dubbed.
Old January 11 2013, 03:36 PM   #248
Leroy
Fleet Captain

I think TBS is a Japanese channel, although it would be awesome if TBS in NA showed Yamato.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 05:09 PM   #249
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Leroy wrote: View Post
I think TBS is a Japanese channel, although it would be awesome if TBS in NA showed Yamato.
Nah, it'll end up on Adult Swim's Toonami block if Funimation gets the rights to it. Which is fine by me, because it would at least get SOME promotion, as opposed to none.
Old January 11 2013, 07:02 PM   #250
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
TBS in America? Interesting. That's not where I would have expected to see it, but if true, that's all kinds of awesome. I'm assuming it will be subbed and not dubbed.
FYI - "TBS" (in Japan) = Tokyo Broadcasting System

The Turner Broadcasting Station won't be airing this in the U.S. come April (would be interesting if it did, but it won't. )
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 07:15 PM   #251
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Ah - thanks for the info.

And dammit! It sounded too good to be true...
Old January 11 2013, 11:12 PM   #252
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

The Japanese station of course.

It just means that it will be more widely distributed and accessible to the bloggers and other reviewers.

If they are going to do the while 26 episode run though, they will need to have the last Chapter finished and out in theaters by the beginning of September at the latest. With the BD to come out only a few weeks after the last episode airs in October.

Chapter 4 will be in theaters tomorrow and on BD on February 22nd.

Chapter 5 will be in theaters April 13th and on BD on May 28th.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 12:06 AM   #253
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

One theory brought up in another forum is that it will be a split cour so that they can still keep their 3 month schedule (which was already accelerated from their 4 month schedule previously) and still make money off of the theatre screenings. The dates kind of work out if that is the case... otherwise, they'd have to end up scrapping the screenings altogether because there's no reason to pay to watch it when you can watch it for free.

That said, there is something funny about a "premiere" shounen block reduced to airing what are essentially re-runs for the first season anyway. As brought up on that forum, the noitaminA block is also re-airing Katanagatari in lieu of ordering new shows.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 12:09 AM   #254
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Must have been a bad season.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 04:37 AM   #255
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Magi is currently airing in that block and it's a traditionally shounen block... I guess Yamato could be a show that boys might like though. It is an interesting money saving measure to buy a show that already exists rather than pay for a new show to be made though.

I guess it's like what people thought would happen with the last US writer's strike... which never really happened except with one or two Canadian TV shows airing on US TV for a few weeks.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote