TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 11 2013, 03:07 AM   #31
Phily B
Fleet Captain

View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: "AGE OF THE HOBBITS": Asylum finally sued for making ripoff movies

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^ Any examples?
Transmorphers!
Phily B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 03:19 AM   #32
Dream
Admiral

Any reviews of this movie yet?

For these kinds of movies, the reviews tend to be much more fun reading than seeing the movie itself!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 11:02 AM   #33
JRS
Fleet Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
Any reviews of this movie yet?

For these kinds of movies, the reviews tend to be much more fun reading than seeing the movie itself!
Yes there is:
http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/age-hobbits-2012

Its actually getting 3-4 stars in some of the reviews I have seen, so it seems its better than their usual "quality". Though that might disappoint the hardcore fans of fans of Asylum, who expect it to be that "so bad its funny" kind of thing.

I might check this out myself, since I am fan of Bai Ling
plus having Christopher Judge in the cast helps, too.

I have not seen almost any of the Asylum films yet..but I am planning to get few in the future. Its very educational stuff for any film buff. Plus it is sometimes so much fun to just watch some really bad films.
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 12:05 PM   #34
Tulin
Vice Admiral

But Shearer questioned the value of the film to New Zealand tourism. He was surprised by figures that said only 1 per cent of people surveyed in 2004 gave The Lord of the Rings as their primary reason for coming.
I had ZERO interest in visiting NZ before I saw LOTR.

I went in 2009 and actually spent the bulk of my holiday on a tour run by a couple that have the license to visit LOTR locations and meet with quite a few people that worked on the film.

It's "Red Carpet Tours", btw and they do a FANTASTIC job!

Because of visiting NZ for that reason, I fell in live with the country - it REALLY is THAT beautiful! Breathtaking, in fact!!!

I call bollocks on that percentage!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 12:08 PM   #35
Pingfah
Admiral

YES! It has finally happened. I hope this means Asylum will finally stop making those crap ripoff movies.
Why, what's it to you?

I admire them, they are having a load of fun, making a ton of cash, and providing steady work for a load of people. Good on them. Half the films they are cashing in on are a load of shit anyway.
Old January 11 2013, 02:03 PM   #36
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Asylum is usually much more careful. But let's face it, even a lawsuit is publicity for them. And when they are faced to change the name, they can always refer back to the legal proceedings to try and confuse the public.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 04:35 PM   #37
Servo
Rear Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post

YES! It has finally happened. I hope this means Asylum will finally stop making those crap ripoff movies.
Why, what's it to you?

I admire them, they are having a load of fun, making a ton of cash, and providing steady work for a load of people. Good on them. Half the films they are cashing in on are a load of shit anyway.
This. OP needs to climb down of that high horse and not take life so seriously.
Old January 12 2013, 01:58 PM   #38
jayceee
Commander

Phily B wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^ Any examples?
Transmorphers!
I thought the two Transmorphers movies were ok for really low budget tongue-in-cheek parody movies.

The first one seemed to resemble a low budget version of Starship Troopers, Captain Power, Terminator, etc ...

The second one seemed like a parody of Maximum Overdrive.

Besides the obvious ripoff value, many of The Asylum's movies sorta remind me of "punk rock" style DIY values.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 02:23 PM   #39
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

LOS ANGELES (CN) - The studios behind "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy and "The Hobbit" sued a production company that specializes in knockoffs to try to stop release of its straight-to-DVD movie, "Age of the Hobbits."
Warner Bros. Entertainment, New Line Cinema, New Line Productions, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, and The Saul Zaentz Co. sued Global Asylum aka The Asylum of Burbank, in Federal Court.
The major studios say Asylum intends to release its low-budget movie just three days before filmmaker Peter Jackson's first "Hobbit" movie opens in the United States, on Dec. 14.
The Asylum hopes to profit from "consumer confusion," get a "free ride on the worldwide advertising campaign" and "divert customers and potential customers away" from the major studios' film, according to the complaint.
"The Asylum's advertising for its low-budget knockoff also has been and is confusingly similar to advertising for and images from the plaintiffs' copyrighted films and trademarked products, including the font and style in which the titles appear and the overall look and feel of the images depicted in the artwork and packaging," the 35-page complaint states.
http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/11/09/52146.htm

But, but, but nobody forces you to watch them.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 04:37 PM   #40
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

The problem with the Asylum films is that they are RIPOFFS. Not that they're bad - people love films that are (often intentionally) bad. But why should Asylum get a free pass on ripping off other films with titles that look to be intentionally made to confuse viewers? And releasing said ripoffs so close to the release dates of the films they target?

I'm sure fans have even bought those things on home video, thinking they ARE the films they ripped off (i.e. somebody buys Transmorphers but thinks it's Transformers). You don't think Asylum is deliberately trying to take advantage of that?

Last edited by Rķu rķu, chķu; January 12 2013 at 04:50 PM.
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 05:02 PM   #41
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

^ Quite frankly, if someone is stupid enough to buy the wrong movie they deserve to be separated from their money IMO.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 05:15 PM   #42
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ That doesn't let Asylum off the proverbial hook.
Old January 12 2013, 06:06 PM   #43
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Defcon wrote: View Post
^ Quite frankly, if someone is stupid enough to buy the wrong movie they deserve to be separated from their money IMO.
Actually, I suspect that much of the market is clueless parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles.

"Look, there's that HOBBIT thing little Jimmy keeps talking about. I'm sure he'd love to get it for his birthday!"
Old January 13 2013, 12:30 AM   #44
JD
Admiral

^That's always been my thought when I see their movies. I've often wondered how many clueless relatives have thought they were getting someone a movie that they loved, only to find out that they accidently got them the crappy ripoff.
Old January 13 2013, 01:25 AM   #45
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

^^Reminds me of the intro to Bored of the Rings where they "realize" you might have bought it thinking it's the real thing... and then ching! goes the cash register.

I guess the lesson is make your ripoffs more subtle [Twilight, etc....]
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote