Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 11 2013, 01:33 AM   #1
TrickyDickie
Commodore

The upside-down Enterprise

Several months ago, there was a discussion of where such images appeared.

Here is the ad in the back of Mudd's Angels:

And here is a listing from TV Guide for The Tholian Web:

TrickyDickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 01:35 AM   #2
E-DUB
Captain

Re: The upside-down Enterprise

In space there is no up or down.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 02:14 AM   #3
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I think one of Matt Jeffries' design concepts for the Enterprise, just after the spherical hull version (now known as the USS Horizon), was pretty much the final model but upside down. His drawings are in THE MAKING OF STAR TREK.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 02:19 AM   #4
Albertese
Commodore

It was the final drawing right-side up. He had the prop department knock up a smallish model of it to push the design he favored (which is what we finally got) but the saucer and engineering hull were made of balsa and the engines were birch dowels (they had a pretty short time frame to finished model). Since the dowels were heavier, the model flipped over on it's string and Roddenberry really liked it that way and MJ had another fight on his hands to get it turned back right-side-up.

True story!

--Alex
Old January 11 2013, 03:36 AM   #5
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
I think one of Matt Jefferies' design concepts for the Enterprise, just after the spherical hull version (now known as the USS Horizon), was pretty much the final model but upside down.
That would be this one.

This is pretty close to the final design.

Albertese wrote: View Post
It was the final drawing right-side up. He had the prop department knock up a smallish model of it to push the design he favored (which is what we finally got) but the saucer and engineering hull were made of balsa and the engines were birch dowels (they had a pretty short time frame to finished model). Since the dowels were heavier, the model flipped over on it's string and Roddenberry really liked it that way and MJ had another fight on his hands to get it turned back right-side-up.
I've never heard that story before, but it sounds plausible. Source?
Old January 11 2013, 08:18 AM   #6
RPJOB
Commander

scotpens wrote: View Post
That would be this one.

I think that the Kelvin would have looked pretty cool with this design.
Old January 11 2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Tiberius
Commodore

The Enterprise on the covers of the Nitpicker's Guide for Classic Trekkers and Next generation Trekkers also had the Enterprise upside down, surrounded by floating televisions...
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 08:57 AM   #8
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

I wish that TOS and all the spinoffs had been less rigid about maintaining "up and down" in space. As Spock said in TWOK, the spacial thinking was most often two-dimensional.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 09:14 AM   #9
RPJOB
Commander

In my mind Regula One WAS upside down. We saw how the station was oriented at the beginning of TMP when Scotty and Kirk left in the travel pod. No reason for the entire station to be inverted and no reason the transporter couldn't compensate for the difference in orientation.
Old January 11 2013, 02:20 PM   #10
YARN
Fleet Captain

RPJOB wrote: View Post
In my mind Regula One WAS upside down. We saw how the station was oriented at the beginning of TMP when Scotty and Kirk left in the travel pod. No reason for the entire station to be inverted and no reason the transporter couldn't compensate for the difference in orientation.
Meh, ships should not be designed with bilateral symmetry either. There is only one axis which matters in space (forward/back). It makes sense for a ship to have a front end and a back end, but not to have a top or bottom or dedicated left and right hand side.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Redfern
Commodore

I've read that anecdote as well, but looking at that "inverted" earlier illustration, I just can't fathom how that would flip to give us the orientation we know today.

Consider, the reasonable spot to secure a string would be upon the thicker cylinder (what is now the engineering hull) towards the end aligned with the saucer. Tell how THAT could flip to have the cylinder underneath and the saucer on top! Somebody activate a grav-plate mounted upon the celing during that fateful meeting? (Sorry, that was a bit snarky.)

Now, what I imagine could have happened is this. The wooden model is revealed, the longer cylinders simply resting upon the desk or table. Roddenberry lifts it and slowly turns it around in his hand, staring at it from various angles. Finally, he turns it over with the thick short cylinder now underneath. Since he stated the ship never lands upon planets (due to the effects budget needed to depict this on a weekly basis), he realizes this orientation better implies this thing CAN'T land, that it is a craft built purely for space travel.

I have my suspicions this is just another of those colorful anecdotes that makes for more interesting stories than the boring reality.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 03:39 PM   #12
mb22
Lieutenant Commander

mb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 04:13 PM   #13
BoredShipCapt'n
Commodore

TrickyDickie wrote: View Post
Several months ago, there was a discussion of where such images appeared.

Here is the ad in the back of Mudd's Angels:

That is the image seared into my 11-year-old memory. Thanks.
BoredShipCapt'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 06:14 PM   #14
RPJOB
Commander

YARN wrote: View Post
RPJOB wrote: View Post
Meh, ships should not be designed with bilateral symmetry either. There is only one axis which matters in space (forward/back). It makes sense for a ship to have a front end and a back end, but not to have a top or bottom or dedicated left and right hand side.
Perhaps in real life but Trek has, for the most part, handled things differently. The notable exceptions are the Borg and the Fesarius.
Old January 11 2013, 10:59 PM   #15
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

There's an upside down Klingon ship in the photo section of David Gerrold's "The World of Star Trek",
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote