Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 10 2013, 12:26 AM   #16
tomswift2002
Captain

Re: "Best of both Worlds" - Special Bluray Release

Well, let's just hope that this release is made world wide and not just in Australia.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 10:02 AM   #17
jb1234
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If they're smart, they'll include an isolated score (with commentary in between cues by Ron Jones). I don't think they'll be smart.
jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 11:41 AM   #18
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

A few points of clarification:

* The release is worldwide, not just Australia
* The seasons sets will still be definitive, this release is a great intro or standalone for those who don't want or can't afford the season sets
* Bonus features will be exclusive to the disc at the time of release (although I expect them to be included with Season 4)
Old January 10 2013, 08:35 PM   #19
trekker670
Captain

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post
* Bonus features will be exclusive to the disc at the time of release (although I expect them to be included with Season 4)
Can you get CBS to confirm or deny this? There's no point in me shelling out the cash for a duplicate release if I don't have to. Also how will this relate to commentaries? Will the commentary released on the feature length version be the same as the one on part I and II separately (just split up)?
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 09:28 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I think it would be smart to put The Best of Both Worlds SE on DVD as well. Might get some people to convert to Blu-ray when they see all the work that was done on the series.
Old January 10 2013, 10:03 PM   #21
Seven of Five
Commodore

I used to have the double-length feature on VHS back in the day, and I used to watch it quite often because they're brilliant episodes. I had this tape before I saw part one by itself, and remember being quite shocked at the amazing cliffhanger that i missed out on. I may be remembering wrong, but I think the musical cue at the end of part one is a bit truncated in the edited-together version. There was definitely no cut to black.

I do remember either Dr. Crusher's wig changed, or the lighting did, between dramatic moments. Must have been the shock.
Old January 10 2013, 11:06 PM   #22
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Seven of Five wrote: View Post
I used to have the double-length feature on VHS back in the day, and I used to watch it quite often because they're brilliant episodes. I had this tape before I saw part one by itself, and remember being quite shocked at the amazing cliffhanger that i missed out on. I may be remembering wrong, but I think the musical cue at the end of part one is a bit truncated in the edited-together version. There was definitely no cut to black.
While I haven't seen this UK version with the build-up to the firing of the deflector weapon omitted (just read the description on Memory Alpha), I hope they don't use it as a guide for this standalone Blu-ray.

When I made my feature-length version from the DVDs about ten years ago, I preserved the cut to black and then fade up into Part II. All I had to do was make the cut in Part I just after Troi's close-up and before the final dolly move in on Riker. Then, I edited Part II in during the recap right at that same moment, at the start of Riker's shot. It was a seamless cut, both picture and audio. I just silenced the center track on the, "And now the conclusion..." So there's a brief, music-only cut to black and fade up into Part II (and, of course, I removed the main title sequence from Part II).

What I'm hoping for is something almost exactly like what I did -- with the added benefit of HD, 7.1 lossless audio and no credits over Act I of Part II. That would be just fantastic.
Old January 10 2013, 11:45 PM   #23
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I've only skimmed the thread so maybe this question has been answered, but if they are making it a movie, how will they include the very end score of part 1. One of the reasons why that cliffhanger works so well is after you get "Mr. Worf, Fire", it cuts to To be Continued and you get that famous score. With the movie, it seemed like that would be lost.
Old January 10 2013, 11:49 PM   #24
trekker670
Captain

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I've only skimmed the thread so maybe this question has been answered, but if they are making it a movie, how will they include the very end score of part 1. One of the reasons why that cliffhanger works so well is after you get "Mr. Worf, Fire", it cuts to To be Continued and you get that famous score. With the movie, it seemed like that would be lost.
Read the 5 or so posts right above yours
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 11:51 PM   #25
Dream
Admiral

The season 3 set will have the unedited episode for those that prefer that version!
Old January 10 2013, 11:53 PM   #26
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Read the 5 or so posts right above yours
I did. Seems seamless enough, and could be interesting to own as a movie. Still, when I get to BOBW on the Season 3 Blu-Ray set, I might just go get the standard DVDs and watch Part II and Family. I always try to watch those three episodes together as they make up TNG's best trifecta of episodes in terms of a mini-story arc.
Old January 11 2013, 12:11 AM   #27
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Here's my version that I described above:

Link contained unknown malware and has been removed from all posts.

(NOTE: This is only a 3 minute clip and is for illustrative purposes only. It is my fair use comment on how the edit should be handled. © 2012 CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

Last edited by Mutai Sho-Rin; January 20 2013 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Remove link
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 12:25 AM   #28
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Here's my version that I described above:

Link contained unknown malware and has been removed from all posts.

(NOTE: This is only a 3 minute clip and is for illustrative purposes only. It is my fair use comment on how the edit should be handled. © 2012 CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
That's pretty good, even though you cut off most of the score.

Last edited by Mutai Sho-Rin; January 20 2013 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Link removed
SJSharksfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 12:39 AM   #29
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

What you hear is the original musical score Jones wrote for the transition between the Part I recap and Part II, except without Majel Barett's voice over. That's really the only change I made.

It's true that it means abandoning Jones' Part I end music, but it's the cleanest, simplest way to join the two parts without losing any visual content.
Old January 11 2013, 02:35 AM   #30
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
What you hear is the original musical score Jones wrote for the transition between the Part I recap and Part II, except without Majel Barett's voice over. That's really the only change I made.

It's true that it means abandoning Jones' Part I end music, but it's the cleanest, simplest way to join the two parts without losing any visual content.
True, but you are still losing the "Auditory" content. Maybe there isn't a way to keep it in tact but still transition from one episode to the next.