Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 10 2013, 09:03 PM   #61
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Billie Piper not involved in 50th anniversary

Candlelight wrote: View Post
^ I blame Moffat.

Then again I blame him for the quality drop of series 5-7.
What drop in quality? Sorry, but I have to disagree. I'm enjoying the series as much as I ever have, if not more.
Old January 10 2013, 09:16 PM   #62
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
^ I blame Moffat.

Then again I blame him for the quality drop of series 5-7.
What drop in quality? Sorry, but I have to disagree. I'm enjoying the series as much as I ever have, if not more.
+1

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 09:18 PM   #63
Relayer1
Commodore

Δ More. The show is on an all time high IMHO...
Old January 10 2013, 09:22 PM   #64
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Captain Jack and River Song need an adventure together. Period.

Of the "old" companions, Martha is really the only one that has any reason to show up again, assuming she still works for UNIT.

That said, Tennant's "final tour" in the The End of Time pretty much gave us closure for all of his companions. There's no necessary reason to re-open their stories.
Just going back to this post - it's interesting how companions now have 'closure', back in the day, many just disappeared in a couple of cases just blown out into space to die and be forgotten or left on a sofa!
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 10:08 PM   #65
OmahaStar

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

Of the "old" companions, Martha is really the only one that has any reason to show up again, assuming she still works for UNIT.

That said, Tennant's "final tour" in the The End of Time pretty much gave us closure for all of his companions. There's no necessary reason to re-open their stories.
Just going back to this post - it's interesting how companions now have 'closure', back in the day, many just disappeared in a couple of cases just blown out into space to die and be forgotten or left on a sofa!
Or written out between episodes. "Where's Dodo?" "Oh, she decided to stay behind here on the 60s, and she told us off screen to say she was leaving. Here's her key." "Oh well then, why don't you come along in her place?"
Old January 10 2013, 10:16 PM   #66
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Or written out between episodes. "Where's Dodo?" "Oh, she decided to stay behind here on the 60s, and she told us off screen to say she was leaving. Here's her key." "Oh well then, why don't you come along in her place?"
That was Ben and Polly from the Hartnell Disco story, right?

Old January 10 2013, 10:25 PM   #67
OmahaStar

Sindatur wrote: View Post

That's the one. I believe the story was War Games. The actress was contracted for a certain number of episodes. They decided not to renew her contract, even though it ended halfway through the story. So they had her take a nap, and we've never heard from her again.
Old January 10 2013, 10:27 PM   #68
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, I think it probably has to do with the change in story structure. Where old Doctor Who would tell one long story broken up into multiple episodes, you could have one companion along for the ride and then dump him/her when the next big story begins. In that way, old seasons of Who are kind of like today's Christmas specials. The Doctor meets some new people, has an adventure, and then says goodbye at the end of the episode (like Donna in "The Runaway Bride" or Dumbledore Scrooge in "A Christmas Carol").

With the new seasons, we follow these companions on their journey with the Doctor for years at a time, and we [are supposed to] grow attached to them. For them to simply disappear would be very unsatisfying as a viewer.
Old January 10 2013, 11:09 PM   #69
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

That's the one. I believe the story was War Games. The actress was contracted for a certain number of episodes. They decided not to renew her contract, even though it ended halfway through the story. So they had her take a nap, and we've never heard from her again.
Dodo's fate has always bothered me greatly. Granted, she wasn't the most popular companion, but I always liked the character and it's a terrible shame the character was ditched so unceremoniously. It's also a shame that Jackie Lane (who, along with Matthew Waterhouse) is the only surviving companion actor to not return to reprise their role in the Big Finish audio plays and has no interest in doing so (but still shows up for the conventions). I know she retired from acting (and she's Tom Baker's agent) but it would be nice to have just one companion chronicle from her...

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 11:18 PM   #70
OmahaStar

Emh wrote: View Post
It's also a shame that Jackie Lane (who, along with Matthew Waterhouse) is the only surviving companion actor to not return to reprise their role in the Big Finish audio plays and has no interest in doing so (but still shows up for the conventions). I know she retired from acting (and she's Tom Baker's agent) but it would be nice to have just one companion chronicle from her...
And that's something I think is weird. Matt has done two (so far) audios for Big Finish, in their other ranges, but nothing yet for Doctor Who.

And then they bring the character back in that one-off, and have him played by some other actor. What a waste!
Old January 10 2013, 11:20 PM   #71
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Heh, that was pretty rude of her, not to even bother saying goodbye to The Doctor. And, also, pretty uncaring of The Doctor to just take their word for it, no questions asked. For all he knows, they could've mugged her and left her bleeding in an Alley

Old January 10 2013, 11:32 PM   #72
OmahaStar

Heh, that was pretty rude of her, not to even bother saying goodbye to The Doctor. And, also, pretty uncaring of The Doctor to just take their word for it, no questions asked. For all he knows, they could've mugged her and left her bleeding in an Alley
You know what really sucks? That's the only Ben and Polly story that is still 100%. Smugglers, Power of the Daleks, Macra Terror, and Highlanders (Jamie's first) are all gone. Tenth Planet, Underwater Menace, Moonbase,and Faceless Ones are all incomplete. All four episodes of War Machines still survive, and they're on DVD.

Why is this sad? Because Ben was a really HOT Navy boy, who only wore his Navy costume ... *drool*
Old January 10 2013, 11:42 PM   #73
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

You know what really sucks? That's the only Ben and Polly story that is still 100%. Smugglers, Power of the Daleks, Macra Terror, and Highlanders (Jamie's first) are all gone. Tenth Planet, Underwater Menace, Moonbase,and Faceless Ones are all incomplete. All four episodes of War Machines still survive, and they're on DVD.

Why is this sad? Because Ben was a really HOT Navy boy, who only wore his Navy costume ... *drool*
Yea, Ben was HAWT, though he was a bit of a prick sometimes, LOL

Moonbase, actually, there is a very good Talking Animated Telesnaps Reconstruction of Ep 1 and 3, that I believe isn't distracting at all, it's almost as good as watching the actual episodes, much better, IMHO, then the standing Telesnaps Reconstructions

Ep 1, which will guide you to Ep 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXpu5hVBU3g

Old January 15 2013, 11:53 AM   #74
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

The only companions I'd like to see again are Ian and Susan-- especially Susan.
Old January 19 2013, 03:42 PM   #75
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

"War Machines." "War Games" was Troughton's final regular story as the Doctor.