RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,691
Members: 24,828
Currently online: 488
Newest member: ncc1500

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 10 2013, 11:07 PM   #16
Mooch
Fleet Captain

Re: 2012 Oscar Nominations

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I find it telling that Cloud Atlas was not considered for anything.

Hell, not even makeup!
I'm disappointed it didn't get a Best Score nomination (it did get a Golden Globe nomination, which is nice). While Skyfall and Argo's scores were decent, there were better this year. I would have nominated Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit, too.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 11:17 PM   #17
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I'm disappointed that Moonrise Kingdom didn't nominated for Best Picture, but I can't say I'm surprised. At least it got a Best Screenplay nod.

I'm also a bit disappointed that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey only got three nominations (all technical awards), but again, I'm not surprised, although one would think with ten Best Picture nominations available, it would have picked up one.

Hell, not even makeup!
That is insane. Not only would I give it a nomination, I would give it the damn Oscar! Sorry, The Hobbit.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Really surprised Affleck and Bigelow didn't get nominated for Director. I really do wonder if this is the year we might actually see a best picture winner be different than Best Director. When was the last time that happened?
2005 when Ang Lee won Best Director for Brokeback Mountain and Crash won Best Picture.

Mooch wrote: View Post
Hell, not even makeup!
I'm disappointed it didn't get a Best Score nomination (it did get a Golden Globe nomination, which is nice). While Skyfall and Argo's scores were decent, there were better this year. I would have nominated Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit, too.
Shit, I forgot about Howard Shore's score. I'm very disappointed it didn't get nominated.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 11:46 PM   #18
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

I still haven't had a chance to see most of these, but I probably will before the Oscar night. But are all the five nominees in the Best Actor category really better than John Hawkes in The Sessions? I'm really surprised he wasn't nominated.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 11:49 PM   #19
Dream
Admiral

TDKR Oscar noms: 0
The Avengers Oscar noms: 1

Nice.

Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 11:51 PM   #20
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Actually, thinking about it, Cloud Atlas might have been nominated for almost any category.. but I think it should have been a shoo-in for makeup (which I already mentioned) and editing (which is just odd that it wasn't).

Considering that the film was made independently, there must have been some behind-the-scenes reason, perhaps involving political favoritism that has little to do with the merits of the film itself, that kept it off the ballot for absolutely everything. I know the Academy is really stingy about such things (including who is and who is not on the various guilds) but it's insane that it would be passed up at least for a nod on all of these categories. There must be something else afoot that the Hollywood insiders know about.
Old January 10 2013, 11:59 PM   #21
foxhot
Fleet Captain

It was humanist enough for their tastes, but I'll bet the compex plot threw them off.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 12:58 AM   #22
Mooch
Fleet Captain

Actually, thinking about it, Cloud Atlas might have been nominated for almost any category.. but I think it should have been a shoo-in for makeup (which I already mentioned) and editing (which is just odd that it wasn't).

Considering that the film was made independently, there must have been some behind-the-scenes reason, perhaps involving political favoritism that has little to do with the merits of the film itself, that kept it off the ballot for absolutely everything. I know the Academy is really stingy about such things (including who is and who is not on the various guilds) but it's insane that it would be passed up at least for a nod on all of these categories. There must be something else afoot that the Hollywood insiders know about.
Probably a mix of low crititcal enthusiasm (64% on RT) and poor box office performace.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 01:31 AM   #23
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

The Academy have shown time and time again that they are a bunch of simple-minded fools who think that slow, depressing, and tedious are what make a great movie. Anything colorful, whimsical, or entertaining is not worth a look. Cloud Atlas didn't get nominated because they are too stupid for it. It's as simple as that. It's why unremarkable films like The King's Speech can win Best Picture, but a wildly entertaining and original film like Inception can be passed over.
Old January 11 2013, 03:33 AM   #24
foxhot
Fleet Captain

THE KING'S SPEECH may have benefited from Harvey Weinstein's extraordinary clout with the Academy. So may have DJANGO. The film's nominated for Best Pic, though Tarantino isn't. Weinstein's involvement, plus releasing the film in December, may be the biggest factors here. Bear in mind, no spaghetti western has ever been nominated before....
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 01:03 PM   #25
stj
Rear Admiral

I don't think Argo nor Les Miserables deserved best picture nominations. And although I'm waiting to be convinced when I see Django Unchained, it does seem unlikely Tarantino has suddenly become a good film maker.

I didn't believe Argo even while I was sitting in the theater, forget any pesky questions coming to mind while walking through the theater lobby. The drunken eagle cam in Les Miserables was disconcerting, not artful. Frankly, Kathryn Bigelow as near as I can tell was the designated anti-James Cameron/Avatar vote by people who preferred Mark Boal's subtext to Cameron's. So I can't agree that there is anything peculiar about directorial shut outs for Affleck, Bigelow and Hooper.

I've already forgotten if Skyfall got any nominations. A movie so unremarkable for anything good but box office deserved to be forgotten.

Sally Field is actually a lead actress but apparently the politics of campaigning require mislabeling. This is a shame I imagine, since it seems likely that a flashy song performance by Anne Hathaway will be favored over a genuinely accomplished role.
Old January 11 2013, 05:51 PM   #26
Trek4Ever
Fleet Captain

The rule of thumb these days with the Oscars is find out which film was produced by Harvey Weinstein and that is the winner.

The best picture field has been weakened by the split in the best director noms, which may give Lincoln a shot but won't be surprised if Silver Linings Playbook gets the prize. It did get a lot of important noms. Life of Pi will probably sweep the technical awards including SFX.
Trek4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2013, 04:37 AM   #27
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
TDKR Oscar noms: 0
The Avengers Oscar noms: 1

Nice.

<Bale voice>

But... I'm the Batman.

I'm Batman.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 03:02 AM   #28
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

A wacky idea: you don't think Affleck got snubbed by the directing wing of the Academy because of that crack in ARGO about how "you can teach a monkey to direct"?

One would like to think that folks would not be that thin-skinned, but . . . .
Old January 13 2013, 05:46 AM   #29
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ Who knows? Maybe they were skittish about not nominating Bigelow either, and didn't want the guy's Middle East thriller to get a nom hers didn't. Or maybe they figured that, with a script like that, the movie practically directs itself.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 05:55 AM   #30
CaptainCanada
Admiral

There were four reasonably big-name directors in contention this year who didn't get nominated (Affleck and Bigelow, who seemed like sure things, and Hooper and Tarantino, who were gunning for the fifth slot). I would imagine the balloting for the last few spots was probably incredibly tight.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote