RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 448
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 7 2013, 06:12 PM   #1891
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
The test-screen images in "The Schizoid Man" on the other hand are, in fact, upconverted SD... just like Geordi's VISOR shots in "Heart of Glory" where CBS-Digital just decided to upconvert the shots and composite them into the HD element of the viewscreen, rather than recreate the effect.
Hehe. You hear that Geordie?! You may see better than humans in certain ways, but at least we can see above 480!
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:36 PM   #1892
trekker670
Fleet Captain

picard_2305 wrote: View Post
The one effect I cringed at is one that I did not notice the first time I watched it and if I dont focus on it I can miss it. THe crop error of Enterprise at end of Schizoid Man.
Unfortunately, this mistake is persistent throughout the season any time that shot is used. I've noticed it a few times throughout the first 3/4 of the season (as far as I've gotten so far).
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 07:07 PM   #1893
picard_2305
Lieutenant Junior Grade

trekker670 wrote: View Post
The one effect I cringed at is one that I did not notice the first time I watched it and if I dont focus on it I can miss it. THe crop error of Enterprise at end of Schizoid Man.
Unfortunately, this mistake is persistent throughout the season any time that shot is used. I've noticed it a few times throughout the first 3/4 of the season (as far as I've gotten so far).
You know I never noticed it or any other errors.

Do you still think it is the definitive season 2 ? I certainly do.
picard_2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 07:45 PM   #1894
NewHorizon
Captain

I hope it isn't, but I fear it is.

It's certainly not definitive in my eyes.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:15 PM   #1895
picard_2305
Lieutenant Junior Grade

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
I hope it isn't, but I fear it is.

It's certainly not definitive in my eyes.
I guess what i mean it is better than DVD
picard_2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:36 PM   #1896
davejames
Vice Admiral

Having finally finished the set, I'd probably have to rate HTV's work overall about a 6/10 (where CBS-D's was a clear 10/10).

Not every shot was bad, and some looked to me just as good as CBS's work (especially in eps like Peak Performance with the Enterprise/Hathaway battle), but unfortunately there was still too much that looked looked average or subpar. And after awhile, the inconsistency of the shots just became far too annoying and distracting.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 09:46 PM   #1897
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Do you still think it is the definitive season 2 ?
It is the definitive version for the foreseeable future. Until we either get the 3D or holodeck version.
Old January 7 2013, 11:08 PM   #1898
Borjis
Commodore

Do you think CBS will correct this error? I can live with this error but I hope no more errors or HTV for later seasons crops up.

I should think so, it exists in other episodes without that anomaly.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 09:37 PM   #1899
MikeS
Fleet Captain

I've still not bought this. Mainly because I'm still enjoying Season One. I know I'm going to be disapointed, but there's no chance they're going to correct this is there?! And some of those special features look fabulous.
Old January 9 2013, 08:27 AM   #1900
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I wonder if one of the reasons I'm moving a lot slower on Season 2 than I was on Season 1 was because of the picture quality and I had actually just seen Season 2 last year. I love the set, don't get me wrong, but the quality really does leave a lot to be desired and there hasn't been anything that's wowed me.

Well, tonight I finally saw an episode on this set that might have been enhanced by HTV, and that episode was Pen Pals. Maybe it was all the space shots, but this episode looks a lot better than it did. I love seen the changes in the planet, or the galaxies, and Picard on the horse was a nice shot.

However, did anyone notice a change in volume during this episode. It was when Data and Picard were talking in the Holodeck. Like right after Picard got off the horse, it seemed like the volume had gotten lower and I had to turn it up. It's not a big deal and maybe it was just me but it was almost shades of Season 1's audio issues, let alone what HTV has done. Still, Pen Pals is a much better episode now than it was on the Standard DVDs.
Old January 9 2013, 09:55 AM   #1901
davejames
Vice Admiral

Finally watched "Shades of Gray" on the set... and I gotta say, it was much less painful than I remembered. In fact the opening 15 minutes or so with the marsh planet and Riker putting on a brave face in sickbay is actually pretty good stuff (and better written than some entire episodes in the 2nd season).

Plus the idea of someone on an away mission picking up a random alien infection from the local animal life is something we don't often see on Trek, and actually feels kind of novel and unique. It's a side of space travel and exploration that I really wish we could see more of in a series someday (not every threat has to some from a bumpy-headed alien).

And I didn't really mind watching the flashbacks either, since they're now all in glorious HD and look amazing. I just thought of it as a chance to revisit some of these cleaned up episodes again. Although I do wish they had sampled from a few more episodes, at least.
Old January 9 2013, 12:26 PM   #1902
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Problem with that is, EVERY planet would present itself with a biological contamination problem because every planet would have bacteria, viruses and other infections on it humans are not immune to due to lack of exposure. So we assume that there's ways around that, either through advanced medical techniques and the biofilter on the transporter. I think the series would get pretty boring if every other week we had characters near death from an alien cold their body doesn't know how to fight.

Last edited by Trekker4747; January 9 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 05:19 PM   #1903
davejames
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Problem with that is, EVERY planet would present itself with a biological contamination problem because every planet would have bacteria, viruses and other infections on it humans are not immune to due to lack of exposure. So we assume that there's ways around that, either through advanced medical techniques and the biofilter on the transporter. I think the series would get pretty boring if every other week we had characters near death from an alien cold they're body doesn't know how to fight.
Lol, true. You wouldn't want to see that every week. But it would still be nice to bring in at least a LITTLE more reality to the exploration we see in Trek, I think. Instead of having every planet be clean and antiseptic, and comfortable enough where they don't even have to wear a freakin jacket.
Old January 9 2013, 11:10 PM   #1904
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Problem with that is, EVERY planet would present itself with a biological contamination problem because every planet would have bacteria, viruses and other infections on it humans are not immune to due to lack of exposure. So we assume that there's ways around that, either through advanced medical techniques and the biofilter on the transporter. I think the series would get pretty boring if every other week we had characters near death from an alien cold they're body doesn't know how to fight.
Lol, true. You wouldn't want to see that every week. But it would still be nice to bring in at least a LITTLE more reality to the exploration we see in Trek, I think. Instead of having every planet be clean and antiseptic, and comfortable enough where they don't even have to wear a freakin jacket.
Well the treknology explanation is that the transporter's biofilter is able to remove contaminates from people when they transport. (In Shades of Gray the alien virus was able to allude the biofilter.) We can also presume since things like the common cold are considered cured and rare that there are advanced antibiotics/medicines to bolster immune systems to fight unknown pathogens.
Old January 10 2013, 08:12 PM   #1905
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

We have the first part of a special interview with Robert Meyer Burnett who - along with Roger Lay - is responsible for the TNG Bonus features.

Some fascinating insights into the behind-the-scenes struggle to interview Diana Muldaur for Season 2 along with some cool teasers about things to come in future seasons:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01092...rburnett1.html

Enjoy!