Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 10 2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
I dunno. I could rant about type 1 diabetes. I feel like the Trek BBS is the only place that gets to hear me rant about that, because I don't get the urge to rant about it very often and I don't rant about it to anyone in real life. I ranted about it on facebook one time. Usually I get a third of the way into typing the rant and then think, What fucking good will it do?

Here: Type 1 diabetes. It is not the same disease as the diabetes you know about so shut up. I have to choose some people at work to teach how to test my blood sugar and give me a shot of glucagon in case I have a seizure or pass out. It's not going to be awkward at all.

Everyone is fucking stupid about diabetes and doesn't know anything.

There.
I have a friend who has Type 1 and who makes similar rants. She orders Diet Coke when she goes out to eat, and she's pretty skinny, so waitresses give her dirty looks or even say things like, "you don't need to drink diet, honey!" Or people look confused when she says she has diabetes because she's so thin. "Well, how did you get that??" People are dumb.

Rhubarbodendron: I can relate to your reaction when she got through to call you. I have people in my life where, as soon as their name pops up on my phone, my blood pressure shoots up and I'm tempted to just ignore them. But given that this is someone you don't ever have to talk to again, it sounds like the thing to do is keep the block on and just ignore her if she ever manages to get through again. It's just not worth the trouble to answer.

As for myself, the only thing I could rant about at this moment is getting my kids into school. I recently (as in a few weeks ago) got custody of my kids, and have been working on getting them enrolled in school. First, there was the mountain of paperwork required, and then the endless game of phone tag. "I'll call you by the end of the day" apparently means "I'll call you whenever I feel like it, which won't be today." I have to stay on top of these people to make sure things are proceeding.

To be fair, it's only the front line administrative people I've had this problem with. Once I got past those people and got in touch with special services, communication improved. I still find it irritating when someone promises to follow up by the end of the day, and then they don't. Don't promise it if you can't do it.
Old January 10 2013, 07:17 PM   #17
sojourner
Admiral

There.
So true. I still remember being so pissed off at the movie Panic Room. The whole plot of the movie is driven by the daughter's Diabetes and "getting her insulin in time or she'll die!". um, no. Just no. If your going to make it the crux of the plot, at least make sure you understand the effects of not getting insulin in time.
Old January 10 2013, 07:51 PM   #18
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post

There.
So true. I still remember being so pissed off at the movie Panic Room. The whole plot of the movie is driven by the daughter's Diabetes and "getting her insulin in time or she'll die!". um, no. Just no. If your going to make it the crux of the plot, at least make sure you understand the effects of not getting insulin in time.
I may be totally misremembering (it wasn't the most memorable movie), but I thought the driving plot point was that the little girl was going low. She had a CGM with an alarm that kept going off, and had a seizure at one point. I recall thinking that, of all the movies I'd seen with diabetes in them, they'd done an okay job of depicting type 1.

But, yeah, people get it wrong all the time, and that's what really annoys me about it. There are a ton of assumptions and a lot of judgement that goes along with the label "diabetic," and while it's not really the general public's fault -- after all, why should everyone be expected to know that there are a handful of completely different diseases all called diabetes -- it is still wearing. I don't even care about all the shots and blood tests, or being constantly aware of my own mortality, I am tired of people's ignorance and judgement.

I think it is ignorant the way people judge type 2 diabetics as well, as if they all ate their way into their disease, and it's just that simple. But having type 1, and having that judgement passed on you seems even more unjust. I once had a nurse(!) say to me, "You really should get your weight down. You're only about 10lbs overweight, but every little bit you lose can lower your blood sugar." I suppressed the urge to tell her to fuck herself, and explained that I have type 1 diabetes. I've never been very overweight -- always between 5-15lbs, but I struggle with it, and I honestly think the misconceptions surrounding diabetes and weight are a huge part of what's led me to develop stupid body issues (and considering eating disorders are 4 times more prevalent in the type 1 diabetic population than in the general population, I don't think I'm off the mark). I also hate it when I feel made to justify everything I eat or don't eat. Anyway, there. There's a proper rant!

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 08:34 PM   #19
sojourner
Admiral

I may be totally misremembering (it wasn't the most memorable movie), but I thought the driving plot point was that the little girl was going low. She had a CGM with an alarm that kept going off, and had a seizure at one point.
Yeah, that's where the idiocy breaks in. They spend the whole moving worrying about getting her insulin, when what she really needed was a cookie.

Or I could be wrong. Been too long since I saw the movie.
Old January 10 2013, 09:29 PM   #20
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Okay, yeah, that is stupid!

Old January 10 2013, 10:11 PM   #21
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Hugs to all the ranters!

TSQ, I'm sure I'll be showing up with one of my own medical-issues rants soon. People can be so ignorant!

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
The Pope has more sex than I!
Ooh, I'm going to use that line!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 11:32 PM   #22
propita
Rear Admiral

Hubby got diagnosed diabetic recently. When he lost 10 pounds, his stupid number went up by 10! Yeah, he can improve his diet and exercise. And me with all my health issues, my number stays under 90. Genetics plays a big part--diabetes runs in his family, not mine, yet his family lives to their 80s and even 90s.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 11:41 PM   #23
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Type 2, I'm guessing? I wish people would specify.

A 10 point raise in blood sugar level as measured in mg/dl the (US), and not mmol/L (A1C and the rest of the world), is just as likely to be variance in the meter as it is in the actual blood sugar level. A 10 point raise in mmol/L would be very unlikely and mean certain hospitalization or death. 10 points variance in mg/dl is normal in healthy people, I wouldn't think much of it.

Old January 10 2013, 11:52 PM   #24
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Free hugs for anyone who needs one!

And if you act now, you get the second one absolutely free!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 12:03 AM   #25
mimic
Rear Admiral

When I told my religious friend about my Grandpa dying this past Monday, one of the first things he said was "is he going to heaven?"

I keep my atheism pretty quiet, mostly for job security. I also know for a fact that my Grandpa got kicked out of his Bible study group because he was trolling the Young Earth Creationist in the group, and that he didn't believe a word of the Bible. So, what, are you going to tell me he's going to hell? Because reading between the lines, that's what I got out of "is he going to heaven?"

"And since I do not go into nuclear reactor cores I am free to trouble my brain over artificial sweeteners." - Goji
mimic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 12:13 AM   #26
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^Ugh. I'm sorry, mimic, I've experienced that kind of stuff too.

Old January 11 2013, 12:50 AM   #27
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

First, hugs to ya'll.

And now, a rant. Sort of.

Depression. No, I just can't make myself feel better. Yes, there are things I can do to make it better long term, but no I can not just flick it like a light switch. It does not. Work that way. Some people just can not understand that if you are someone with long term depression, in my case most of my life, it is not an easy thing to break out of. You hate it, but you depend on it. You want out, but you're so scared of the outside. Combined with some serious trust issues and Aspergers and you get the lovely added effects of not being quite sure who to trust since you just can't tell which smiles are fake or not.

Granted, over the last few years this has become a lot better and it has gotten easier. But it took me getting so low that I made the choice to kill myself to get my ass to the doctor and get some antidepressants. Which have made a hell of a difference.

Right. There.

Slightly more silly rant now.

To the old weird dude with the shitty Ford Mondeo wagon: No, we still only have one dog, the other one has not magically resurrected (thank you for bringing the pain up again btw). No, I really can not be as surprised as you are that they are doing work on the building when they only sent out a mass message, TWICE, calling people to a meeting about it. And no, you can not expect me to like your junk car as much as you do. It is not that cool. Or rustfree. But mostly, seize this stopping your car in the street where people drive and try to talk to when I get home from work and just want to get in the shower.

And no, he is not senile, he's just clueless.
Old January 11 2013, 01:56 AM   #28
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I dunno. I could rant about type 1 diabetes. I feel like the Trek BBS is the only place that gets to hear me rant about that, because I don't get the urge to rant about it very often and I don't rant about it to anyone in real life. I ranted about it on facebook one time. Usually I get a third of the way into typing the rant and then think, What fucking good will it do?

Here: Type 1 diabetes. It is not the same disease as the diabetes you know about so shut up. I have to choose some people at work to teach how to test my blood sugar and give me a shot of glucagon in case I have a seizure or pass out. It's not going to be awkward at all.

There.
My first exposure to diabetes was Stacey from the Babysitters Club hiding it from her friends and ending up in the hospital because she doesn't manage it properly. I remember feeling so bad for her and thinking it was sad that in real life kids would have to deal with something like that. So, when people talk about diabetes, I don't think of weight issues, I think of poor Stacey having to inject herself for something that was out of her control!

I guess reading all of those Babysitters Club books turned out to be useful in the end. Still searching for a way to use the knowledge gained from Goosebumps...don't wear Halloween masks that meld to your face? Don't become a ventriloquist?
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 02:16 AM   #29
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

mimic wrote: View Post
When I told my religious friend about my Grandpa dying this past Monday, one of the first things he said was "is he going to heaven?"

I keep my atheism pretty quiet, mostly for job security. I also know for a fact that my Grandpa got kicked out of his Bible study group because he was trolling the Young Earth Creationist in the group, and that he didn't believe a word of the Bible. So, what, are you going to tell me he's going to hell? Because reading between the lines, that's what I got out of "is he going to heaven?"
My condolences, Mimic.

[rant]People like your friend make me feel embarrassed to be religious sometimes. No Christian should ever presume to know who is or isn't going to heaven (whatever the heck heaven even is). And if they insist on being that presumptuous, they should at least have the common decency to keep their mouth shut! Your friend was displaying lousy theology and gross insensitivity.[/rant]
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 05:03 AM   #30
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

This one bugs me..

# is a pound sign, Not "hashtag",