RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,373
Posts: 5,356,730
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 537
Newest member: Nostromov

TrekToday headlines

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 8 2013, 02:37 PM   #46
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: shore leave in La Baule, France
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

stationzebra wrote: View Post
"Did Star Trek and Lost In Space lift some ideas from Forbidden Planet?"
Apparently, there are many elements in "Forbidden Planet" that 'inspired' Gene Roddenberry, but where he borrowed too much, IMHO, is revealed by the mind power stories we've seen in both pilots for Star Trek, i.e. "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

In the field of treknological speculation there is of course one difference: Franz Joseph Schnaubelt liked "Lost in Space" but was no fan of Star Trek.

IMHO, he should have been doing the blueprints for the Jupiter 2
from "Lost in Space" and then, some passionate Star Trek fan should have taken the inspiration to do blueprints of the Enterprise and a technical manual.
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 04:17 PM   #47
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Escaped from Delta Vega
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
stationzebra wrote: View Post
"Did Star Trek and Lost In Space lift some ideas from Forbidden Planet?"
Apparently, there are many elements in "Forbidden Planet" that 'inspired' Gene Roddenberry, but where he borrowed too much, IMHO, is revealed by the mind power stories we've seen in both pilots for Star Trek, i.e. "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

In the field of treknological speculation there is of course one difference: Franz Joseph Schnaubelt liked "Lost in Space" but was no fan of Star Trek.

IMHO, he should have been doing the blueprints for the Jupiter 2
from "Lost in Space" and then, some passionate Star Trek fan should have taken the inspiration to do blueprints of the Enterprise and a technical manual.


Well, someone should find a way to believably fit the 2 1/2 decks of the Jupiter 2 into that small hull! I've seen many a J2 blueprint over the years, and none justify so much room within the hull.
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 09:09 PM   #48
Redfern
Commodore
 
Redfern's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Well, someone should find a way to believably fit the 2 1/2 decks of the Jupiter 2 into that small hull! I've seen many a J2 blueprint over the years, and none justify so much room within the hull.
If I correctly recall, when Bill Mumy helped script the plots for Innovations "Lost in Space" comic published in the 90s, in story it was established that a fair percentage of the the Jupiter's technology was based upon the reverse engineered hardware of an alien vessel having crashed on Earth and then "appropriated" by a mega-corp named, ahem, Allen Industries. Maybe the aliens whose tech we copied had partially mastered "relative dimensions in space" in addition to a compact hyperdrive.

Sincerely,

Bill
__________________
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 10:42 PM   #49
Gary7
Rear Admiral
 
Gary7's Avatar
 
Location: Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

Maurice wrote: View Post
CBS wasn't the sole reason UFO was canned. While CBS had it on late at night (that's where I saw it as a kid) the show was aired on Saturday mornings on London Weekend Television and apparently not aired consistently.
From what I'd heard, it had a bigger following in the UK per capita than it did in the USA. Back then, the aim was to appeal to the US market because of the enormous audience potential. CBS was a critical part of the equation, as it was the only network broadcasting the show. Most kids I met who liked sci-fi in 1971 didn't even know that UFO existed let alone was canceled. Thankfully it went into syndication shortly thereafter and that changed. I remember a few sci-fi get-togethers where UFO and Star Trek were the popular shows, despite that they weren't airing new episodes. It was just my personal impression that UFO could have done better had more people been aware of it. CBS screwed up on the demographic and aired it in too late a time slot, in addition to cutting corners on marketing.
__________________
Remembering Ensign Mallory.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 10:51 PM   #50
Dale Sams
Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

If anyone cares...I once emailed either Mumy or his publicist, I have no idea who actually got it, to ask why he didn't play his older self in the LiS movie. He said, "They never asked."

Which is stupid. That they wouldn't think to ask.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 11:02 PM   #51
Redfern
Commodore
 
Redfern's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

I read a very different account on that issue.

SUPPOSEDLY, Jonathan Harris was asked to cameo, but as the "Nu" Smith's "commander" who double crosses him (the hologram communication). Harris stated he was not interested unless he appeared AS Smith. Mumy, in an act of friendship, decided to pass on his offer as well.

Again, that's just what I read and I'm sure Christopher will gun down the anecdote with unabandoned glee.

Sincerely,

Bill
__________________
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 04:41 AM   #52
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

I'm not sure about Mumy, but you're spot on about Jonathan: "Either I play Smith or I don't play."

Actually, I'm glad Bill wasn't older Will. It would have pulled me right out of the film.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 05:49 PM   #53
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
CBS wasn't the sole reason UFO was canned. While CBS had it on late at night (that's where I saw it as a kid) the show was aired on Saturday mornings on London Weekend Television and apparently not aired consistently.
From what I'd heard, it had a bigger following in the UK per capita than it did in the USA. Back then, the aim was to appeal to the US market because of the enormous audience potential. CBS was a critical part of the equation, as it was the only network broadcasting the show. Most kids I met who liked sci-fi in 1971 didn't even know that UFO existed let alone was canceled. Thankfully it went into syndication shortly thereafter and that changed. I remember a few sci-fi get-togethers where UFO and Star Trek were the popular shows, despite that they weren't airing new episodes. It was just my personal impression that UFO could have done better had more people been aware of it. CBS screwed up on the demographic and aired it in too late a time slot, in addition to cutting corners on marketing.
I suspect quite a few Sci-Fi shows have done better in the UK than in the US when differences in population size are factored in.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 03:10 AM   #54
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

I'm kind of like Ssosmcin; sci-fi was my thing. I watched LIS, ST, UFO, 1999, Galactica, Rogers, Man From Atlantis, Logan's Run, Quark, SMDM, The Bionic Woman, various others, and as an adult all the ST spinoffs and the Galactica remake.

Comparing STAR TREK to LOST IN SPACE, Mark Goddard (Maj. Don West) said in an interview once, "Their show came from the head and our show came from the heart." (I'm quoting from memory, but that's very close to it.)

Regarding the impossibility of fitting the roomy Jupiter 2 interior into the sleek and beautiful exterior, the most common blueprint solution is to increase the diameter of the saucer, from the apparent 50 feet to something around 100.

On my hard drive at home, I have a ton of web-found J2 blueprints and CGI renderings, some of which are gorgeous.

Last edited by ZapBrannigan; January 10 2013 at 03:26 AM.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 07:22 AM   #55
Maurice
Vice Admiral
 
Maurice's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

__________________
* * *
"If you wanted to get a good meeting... just go in and
say 'darker, grittier, sexier' and whatever."
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 10:44 AM   #56
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
IMHO, he should have been doing the blueprints for the Jupiter 2 from "Lost in Space" and then, some passionate Star Trek fan should have taken the inspiration to do blueprints of the Enterprise and a technical manual.
Given the fantastic job Franz Joseph did on the original blueprints, I think things worked out just fine. He truly blazed the path for all the blueprinters that followed.

His blueprints were an act of love for his daughter, who was a fan.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 12:09 PM   #57
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
IMHO, he should have been doing the blueprints for the Jupiter 2 from "Lost in Space" and then, some passionate Star Trek fan should have taken the inspiration to do blueprints of the Enterprise and a technical manual.
Given the fantastic job Franz Joseph did on the original blueprints, I think things worked out just fine. He truly blazed the path for all the blueprinters that followed.

His blueprints were an act of love for his daughter, who was a fan.


Agreed! Whatever their differences with the actual sets and miniatures, the FJ Blueprints were a masterpiece of sci-fi art. As a kid I got literally hours of pleasure pouring over them and imagining myself aboard the ship.

FJ made a lot of money on the Blueprints and Technical Manual. So much so that the Roddenberrys regretted giving him publishing permission for free (as I read somewhere, can't recall where). This was before TMP got greenlighted, and FJ was getting rich at the very time the Rodd's were going broke.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 02:24 PM   #58
Robert Comsol
Commodore
 
Robert Comsol's Avatar
 
Location: shore leave in La Baule, France
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
"Whatever their differences with the actual sets and miniatures, the FJ Blueprints were a masterpiece of sci-fi art. As a kid I got literally hours of pleasure pouring over them and imagining myself aboard the ship."
I have no idea what could have qualified these as a "masterpiece of sci-fi art", definitely not the main sensor-deflector dish that appears to lead straight to the swimming-pool of the Enterprise.

As an adolescent I spent hours getting frustrated that none of the interiors (except for the bridge) matched the original studio sets, despite FJ using The Making of Star Trek as his prime reference which did include the studio set plan from Season Two on (at least I'm finally getting rid of my frustration by working on accurate deck plans).

IMHO, the only things that do qualify as a "masterpiece of sci-fi art" were the David Kimble TMP blueprints and his 3D-cutaway of the movie Enterprise. Now that was some passionate work, an act of love for Star Trek.

Bob
__________________
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth" Jean-Luc Picard
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 04:09 PM   #59
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain
 
ZapBrannigan's Avatar
 
Location: New York State
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I have no idea what could have qualified these as a "masterpiece of sci-fi art", definitely not the main sensor-deflector dish that appears to lead straight to the swimming-pool of the Enterprise.

As an adolescent I spent hours getting frustrated that none of the interiors (except for the bridge) matched the original studio sets, despite FJ using The Making of Star Trek as his prime reference which did include the studio set plan from Season Two on (at least I'm finally getting rid of my

frustration by working on accurate deck plans).

IMHO, the only things that do qualify as a "masterpiece of sci-fi art" were the David Kimble TMP blueprints and his 3D-cutaway of the movie Enterprise. Now that was some passionate work, an act of love for Star Trek.

Bob

Before we condemn FJ, I think his ship's bowling alley should be taken into account as a mitagating factor.

I can't stay online long this morning, but I look forward to seeing your version of the ship. At first glance, I'd say it's a very daring departure to put a circular corridor in the secondary hull. Maybe even a tough sell.

Regarding David Kimble, from what I read on the Net he was very unhappy with how the publisher cheated him out of royalties for that cutaway poster. He had done a vast amount of work on it, time he could have spent on paying jobs, and then ended up making nothing financially even though the poster sold well. That's a real shame.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 09:48 PM   #60
Gary7
Rear Admiral
 
Gary7's Avatar
 
Location: Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
Re: Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

I found the sets used on The Empath to have a kind of Lost In Space quality about them. Devices with lots of little flashing lights and dark cavernous spaces in between them.

One of my favorite "impossible scenes":
__________________
Remembering Ensign Mallory.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.