Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 18 2012, 07:38 AM   #16
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Re: Riker in First Contact (episode, not the film)

^^^Hey, we do need something to give hope to guys who look like me.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 06:33 AM   #17
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
GalaxyX wrote: View Post
To add insult to injury, the Star Trek "pairings" tended to be super hot women with weird looking alien "males". DS9 took it to extremes.

I don't think the reverse was seen much at all.
That wasn't just on Trek.

It happened all the time on other tv shows and movies so much that it has become a trope. It is especially common on comedies with the dumb average looking husband and the hot wife.
It's stupid enough when other shows do it. But Trek doing the same irks me to no end. Particularly because of what's already been mentioned about alien races being compatible with humans, but the mere idea that alien males would find human women to be desirable. A bull doesn't desire a human woman, it desires a cow. A rooster desires a hen.

A ferengi should find human women revolting, as we know they find humans in general hideous. Yet we see Ferengi in TNG and DS9 actively seeking the hottest human females they can get. To what end?
Old December 29 2012, 06:57 AM   #18
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Double post, sorry.
Old December 29 2012, 10:00 AM   #19
R. Star
Rear Admiral

To add insult to injury, the Star Trek "pairings" tended to be super hot women with weird looking alien "males". DS9 took it to extremes.

I don't think the reverse was seen much at all.

It happened all the time on other tv shows and movies so much that it has become a trope. It is especially common on comedies with the dumb average looking husband and the hot wife.
It's stupid enough when other shows do it. But Trek doing the same irks me to no end. Particularly because of what's already been mentioned about alien races being compatible with humans, but the mere idea that alien males would find human women to be desirable. A bull doesn't desire a human woman, it desires a cow. A rooster desires a hen.

A ferengi should find human women revolting, as we know they find humans in general hideous. Yet we see Ferengi in TNG and DS9 actively seeking the hottest human females they can get. To what end?
Sentient beings are different than animals. They have the ability to see sex as something for pleasure as opposed to a natural instinct to procreate, therefor can have varied tastes.

For example, how many people find those green Orion slave girls hot? Or T'Pol or any other various women of the week?
Old December 31 2012, 02:01 AM   #20
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Star Grinch wrote: View Post

Sentient beings are different than animals. They have the ability to see sex as something for pleasure as opposed to a natural instinct to procreate, therefor can have varied tastes.

For example, how many people find those green Orion slave girls hot? Or T'Pol or any other various women of the week?
That's because those women are basically hot looking human females with a "one off" characteristic, like having a green skin colour, or T'Pol who is the same except for pointy ears and a bowl haircut.

Animals don't "think" of sex as just for pleasure, but they could give a fuck about procreation either. They simply feel the need to get off, and act accordingly to fulfill those needs. Humans are the same way. We don't fuck because of the "pleasure". We fuck because there is a need caused by chemicals in our brains that make us desire to get off with sex.

I don't think I ever saw in Trek a handsome looking guy with an ugly looking alien woman.

The writers just took the sleazy way out to get more people to watch, which was "makes alien women be hot, but with some characteristic that won't take the hotness away" and then pair them up with hideous looking males.
Old December 31 2012, 02:13 AM   #21
R. Star
Rear Admiral

That's because those women are basically hot looking human females with a "one off" characteristic, like having a green skin colour, or T'Pol who is the same except for pointy ears and a bowl haircut.

Animals don't "think" of sex as just for pleasure, but they could give a fuck about procreation either. They simply feel the need to get off, and act accordingly to fulfill those needs. Humans are the same way. We don't fuck because of the "pleasure". We fuck because there is a need caused by chemicals in our brains that make us desire to get off with sex.

I don't think I ever saw in Trek a handsome looking guy with an ugly looking alien woman.

The writers just took the sleazy way out to get more people to watch, which was "makes alien women be hot, but with some characteristic that won't take the hotness away" and then pair them up with hideous looking males.
You have a point there. I'd love to see Roseanne or someone like that beam down to Risa and be led off by a body builderesque man.
Old January 3 2013, 07:28 PM   #22
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post

You have a point there. I'd love to see Roseanne or someone like that beam down to Risa and be led off by a body builderesque man.
That would have been interesting to see lol.

The closest I ever saw it was when B'elanna was trying to make Tom Paris jealous by walking away with some buff surfer dude on the holodeck.

Then again, B'Elanna isn't exactly ugly either (Roxanne Dawson certainly is not )
Old January 9 2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Look no further than Riker and his "emo boy looking girl" phase. And if I recall... procreation, as discussed by them, involved him inseminating a husk.

Noted, she isn't actually ugly, but she's no Lilith Crane either.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:01 AM   #24
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Dale Sams wrote: View Post

Look no further than Riker and his "emo boy looking girl" phase. And if I recall... procreation, as discussed by them, involved him inseminating a husk.

I'm unsure which episode this was in. Are you referring to the woman in the episode "First Contact"? If I remember correctly, while she may not have been super hot, she certainly wasn't ugly.

You may be referring to that episode with the androgynous woman (the name escapes me at the moment). Not sure which one. That girl wasn't ugly either, just tv-uglified.
Old January 10 2013, 05:11 AM   #25
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

"The Outcast."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:42 AM   #26
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

Dale Sams wrote: View Post

I'm unsure which episode this was in. Are you referring to the woman in the episode "First Contact"? If I remember correctly, while she may not have been super hot, she certainly wasn't ugly.

You may be referring to that episode with the androgynous woman (the name escapes me at the moment). Not sure which one. That girl wasn't ugly either, just tv-uglified.
Not only tv-uglified, but tv ugly by today's standards. Riker also flirted with that one "Keyboard" player for info...in his very smooth Riker way that he pulls off so well. She was definitly supposed to be ugly, but she was also smart and savvy.

Your OP certainly stands though for the most part. There is Jean-Luc and Guinan (maybe at some point) again, she's no Ferengi, but you know what I mean.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 08:11 AM   #27
Triskelion
Rear Admiral

Sex appeal is not always related to attractiveness.

Pop quiz, do you know the episode with the In-Universe explanations for similarity between alien species? (For answer click below).

Triskelion is offline   Reply With Quote