Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 24 2012, 09:49 PM   #16
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: The Five...err Four Doctors!

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Did they ever release the unused script the revealed that the first doctor was really a robot working for the Daleks?
I think that was one of Robert Holmes' pitches, but I don't think it ever got past the outline.

The script I'd like to see is Dicks' first draft which was heavy on Tom Baker, written at a time when it looked like he was going to do it.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 09:51 PM   #17
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

I loved Bakers commentary on one of the DVD where he talks about the wax dummy they got to stand in for him, and how people at the time were prasing his acting in the five doctors and stating how well he was looking.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 10:14 PM   #18
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I hadn't seen some of those pictures. Damn, do they look ghoulish!

allyngibson.net
Old December 24 2012, 10:39 PM   #19
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I haven't seen some of those either. The bottom one with The Fifth Doctor riding K-9 is especially funny.

I, too, would like to see Dick's original draft that focused heavily on The Fourth Doctor.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 11:26 PM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
I haven't seen some of those either. The bottom one with The Fifth Doctor riding K-9 is especially funny.
If you didn't know that was a wax mummy they're all looking and smiling at, you'd think that they were all reacting to something amusing Tom Baker had just said. Which makes it funny -- but also deeply weird.

allyngibson.net
Old December 24 2012, 11:58 PM   #21
The Wormhole
Admiral

You know, the likeness isn't that bad. If someone showed me one of those photos and told me that really was Tom Baker I'd probably say "that's one hell of a sun tan he's got."
Old December 25 2012, 12:06 AM   #22
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Huh, I just noticed Pertwee is kissing Baker's wax hand.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 12:49 AM   #23
Relayer1
Commodore

Toms Website used to sell signed DVDs (it might still do) but it had a note that The Five Doctors was in fact signed by Toms waxwork...
Old December 25 2012, 12:51 AM   #24
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

So why didn't Lalla sign up?

Or was she still married to Tom at that point?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 12:59 AM   #25
Iamnotspock
Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
So why didn't Lalla sign up?

Or was she still married to Tom at that point?
They weren't still married, no. Was she even approached? If the Shada footage was the only chance they had to incorporate Tom, then it made sense to relegate Lalla to that too, rather than complicate things by having Romana arrive in the Death Zone rather than getting stuck in the time eddy also.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 01:26 AM   #26
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

When "The Five Doctors" was first being devised, Ward and Baker were still a couple, and the hope was that they would appear together. Then after their break-up, Ward's involvement was set aside and the plan was for Baker to appear with Lis Sladen. Then Baker dropped out, and the existing cast was re-organized. In the early script Allyn mentioned above, it was the fourth Doctor and Sarah Jane who went to Gallifrey, investigated, and discovered Borusa's villainy (with a brief tease that the fourth Doctor himself might be the villain), while the second (with Jamie), third (with the Brigadier), and fifth (with Tegan) Doctors were the ones who used the three entrances of the tower, and the first Doctor stayed in the TARDIS with Susan and Turlough. Then Baker quit and Frazer Hines turned out to be too busy with Emmerdale Farm for a full role, so things were shuffled to the version we got.
Old December 26 2012, 01:21 AM   #27
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's 30 years later and who's still talking about THAT SPECIFIC week of Emmadale Farm?

Who would you pair Jamie up for romantic tryst with?

Tegan or Sarah Jane?

(Susan was still married. According to the novelization, she'd just popped out to the go to the supermarket when the time scoop got her.)

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 04:15 AM   #28
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
Huh, I just noticed Pertwee is kissing Baker's wax hand.
Yeah, that always makes me smile.
Old January 1 2013, 06:26 AM   #29
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

It is pretty funny - but I have to admit - the original Doctors, with the exception of the Fifth Doctor - were not exactly the most handsome lookin' guys on the block. Although Baker does strike me as having that kind of Robert Plant quality.

But that's hilarious with them posing with a wax dummy.

I'd still love to see all the remaining living Doctors all get together - even if it's just a promo thing - still be kinda neat.
Old January 10 2013, 02:11 AM   #30
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

It's 30 years later and who's still talking about THAT SPECIFIC week of Emmadale Farm?
[Shatner]FFFFFAAAAAAAAARRRRRMMMMMM!!!!!!!![/Shatner]

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Yeah, at this point Smith has consolidated himself in the role enough that they can bring back David Tennant or Tom Baker or whoever and not worry about them overshadowing him.
Tom Baker has enough height and girth to overshadow anyone!

Emh wrote: View Post
I, too, would like to see Dick's original draft that focused heavily on The Fourth Doctor.
It certainly sounds interesting. I'd especially like to see how things would have turned out differently with the 2nd/Jamie & 3rd/Brigadier pairings. (Wasn't Jo Grant originally supposed to be with the 3rd Doctor as well?) But would the 4th Doctor really have ended up with that much more screen time than what Davison ended up with in the final version? Often, when I watch Davison in those scenes, I can totally hear Tom Baker saying the lines. ("Kinda" is another Davison story that was originally written for Tom Baker. It's an interesting exercise in contrasts between the two Doctors. Davison gives sincere, pointed line readings to lines that Tom Baker would have thrown away in an endless stream of facetiousness.)