Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 8 2013, 12:30 AM   #16
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Re: Ashes of Eden before Return?

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Well you should pick up Collision Course. TOS-only books are not usually at the top of my favorites list (since most of the ones from the 70's to the 90's felt like Westerns, and I'm not exactly into Westerns), but Collision was nothing like the TOS books before it. And it really made the Shatner books rebound after the Totality trilogy. It's too bad that Shatner hasn't written its sequel yet.
Someone gave me a copy of Collision Course as a birthday gift when it came out. It's been sitting unread on my shelf ever since. I had to resist the temptation to tell that person to return it and never speak to me again.
Old January 8 2013, 02:03 AM   #17
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I don't think you really need to read Ashes before Return, since I've tried reading "Ashes" and I could never get through it
"Ashes of Eden" is also adapted as a graphic novel.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 07:46 PM   #18
Markonian
Captain

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post

Someone gave me a copy of Collision Course as a birthday gift when it came out. It's been sitting unread on my shelf ever since. I had to resist the temptation to tell that person to return it and never speak to me again.
Do you think it's so bad? Give it a try. After all, you can still stop or resell it.
Old January 9 2013, 09:49 PM   #19
tomswift2002
Captain

Well you should pick up Collision Course. TOS-only books are not usually at the top of my favorites list (since most of the ones from the 70's to the 90's felt like Westerns, and I'm not exactly into Westerns), but Collision was nothing like the TOS books before it. And it really made the Shatner books rebound after the Totality trilogy. It's too bad that Shatner hasn't written its sequel yet.
The only bad part about it is that its a Part 1 to a multi-part story that never got finished.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 10:04 PM   #20
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

All I really remember from CC is that it felt like a nuTrek novel and the Back to the Future-style flying cars (I remember being quite critical of the idea of flying cars in Trek-land. And now they're in Into Darkness!)

Oh, and that it was enjoyable. And that it's kind of a reboot itself, being based on Shatner's 2000-and-something pitch for an academy-based TV series. It's not in continuity with the rest of the Shatnerverse.
Old January 9 2013, 10:18 PM   #21
tomswift2002
Captain

I thought that it was in continuity with the rest of William Shatner's books, since even though Kirk and Spock are in it and are working on the same thing, I don't remember them actually meeting, or if they did it was very informal and was brushed off as something that didn't matter, leaving open the first meeting as Shatner described in the first Totality book.
Old January 9 2013, 10:58 PM   #22
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

IIRC, the Tarsus IV flashbacks were incompatible with the ones in Avenger - one version has Kirk protecting young Kevin Riley during the massacre, in the other he's alone. I think Kirk's a few years older in CC's version too.
Old January 9 2013, 11:00 PM   #23
Christopher
Writer

King Daniel wrote: View Post
All I really remember from CC is that it felt like a nuTrek novel and the Back to the Future-style flying cars (I remember being quite critical of the idea of flying cars in Trek-land. And now they're in Into Darkness!)
Hovercars have been an established part of the Trek universe since they were seen on Vulcan in "Yesteryear." VGR: "The 37s" established that they were in use on Earth since the 2030s. Hovercars were seen outside Archer's apartment window in "Shockwave." Ben Sisko's biological mother died in a hovercraft accident.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 11:45 PM   #24
TJ Sinclair
Captain

King Daniel wrote: View Post
IIRC, the Tarsus IV flashbacks were incompatible with the ones in Avenger - one version has Kirk protecting young Kevin Riley during the massacre, in the other he's alone. I think Kirk's a few years older in CC's version too.
Given that in Avenger, all we really see is Kirk running through the woods after the massacre, and that his memories were "fudged" by a mindmeld, I never had any trouble reconciling Avenger with the flashbacks in The Lost Years. Is Collision Course that different?
Old January 10 2013, 12:28 AM   #25
tomswift2002
Captain

Given that in Avenger, all we really see is Kirk running through the woods after the massacre, and that his memories were "fudged" by a mindmeld, I never had any trouble reconciling Avenger with the flashbacks in The Lost Years. Is Collision Course that different?
I don't think they are.
Old January 10 2013, 01:21 AM   #26
TJ Sinclair
Captain

As for depictions of the first meeting between Kirk and Spock not jiving up, I'm still a fan of the TOS Starfleet Academy young adult trilogy.
Old January 10 2013, 02:59 PM   #27
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

The only bad part about it is that its a Part 1 to a multi-part story that never got finished.
It's deliberately quite self-contained. The hook at the end leads into the friendship we know today. We know that Kirk and Spock had many adventures together.

I thought that it was in continuity with the rest of William Shatner's books
Strangely not quite, IIRC.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 03:16 PM   #28
ProwlAlpha
Fleet Captain

I enjoy the Kirk books for stupid fun. I loved the Ashes of Eden. However, the Kirk books are pretty much Kirk Rulz!!! and everyone droolz mentality. In one book, Kirk pretty much out does everyone like being more Klingon than Worf and outwitting Data.

In CC, I think it is a fine ending that theme, since Kirk does it all the while being a pre-Academy kid.
Old January 10 2013, 03:55 PM   #29
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

I loved the Shatner books until Preserver when they just got weird and I couldn't handle it anymore. Shame too, because the mirror universe novels started interesting.

I read The Return before Ashes and it is still one of my favorite Trek books; I don't think I was lost by starting in the middle either. But Ashes does need to be read before Avenger. I loved the starship Monitor in the book, especially when it flew inside a Romulan Warbird and blew it apart from the inside.

So there is a comic version of Ashes? Who made it?
Old January 10 2013, 04:35 PM   #30
bbailey861
Admiral

ProwlAlpha wrote: View Post
I enjoy the Kirk books for stupid fun. I loved the Ashes of Eden. However, the Kirk books are pretty much Kirk Rulz!!! and everyone droolz mentality. In one book, Kirk pretty much out does everyone like being more Klingon than Worf and outwitting Data.

In CC, I think it is a fine ending that theme, since Kirk does it all the while being a pre-Academy kid.
Yes, indeed, to both your thoughts.

I have no problem with the 'Shatner Rulz' series, nor his CC for exactly the reasoning above...they are fun. I would like to have seen the Academy book continue just to see the completed path.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote