Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 9 2013, 05:34 AM   #16
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Where in the world were Amy's parents?

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Emh wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post

Actually, it's quite striking how many questions are addressed by the show itself when one starts paying attention.
Pay attention? Are you stark raving mad?!
Of course I am! Are you paying attention?!
Touché.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 06:33 PM   #17
RoJoHen
Awesome

The Doctor: "Does it ever bother you that your life doesn't make any sense?"
Old January 9 2013, 08:53 PM   #18
Iamnotspock
Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The Doctor: "Does it ever bother you that your life doesn't make any sense?"
Yes, the simple answer to this thread is; keep watching.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 08:58 PM   #19
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Speaking of lack of attention - I never understood who the voice was in the TARDIS that then made it explode? Were we just meant to assume it was one of the silence or was it never clearly explained?

Last edited by JoeZhang; January 9 2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: explore > explode
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 09:12 PM   #20
RoJoHen
Awesome

That was never explained.
Old January 9 2013, 09:37 PM   #21
Iamnotspock
Captain

That was never explained.
I think we're meant to assume it was one of the Silence (they seemed to change the voice between episodes). The Silence trying to kill the Doctor by blowing up the TARDIS (to prevent The Question from being asked at Trenzalore) inadvertently caused the cracks in time. Their other attempts to kill the Doctor were of course Lake Silencio and the Judas Tree poison. As time isn't linear, particularly in Moffat's Who, it may be that these attempts, from the Silence's perspective, didn't happen in the same order that we saw.
Old January 9 2013, 09:40 PM   #22
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think that is very likely what happened, and now that it's several years later, I'm pretty much over it, and I doubt it will ever be truly explained. At the time, though, I really wanted it to be a specific person. Part of me hoped that it was River that caused the explosion, perhaps unaware she was doing it as part of her evil programming. She was the only one onboard, afterall.
Old January 9 2013, 09:42 PM   #23
Iamnotspock
Captain

I think that is very likely what happened, and now that it's several years later, I'm pretty much over it, and I doubt it will ever be truly explained. At the time, though, I really wanted it to be a specific person. Part of me hoped that it was River that caused the explosion, perhaps unaware she was doing it as part of her evil programming. She was the only one onboard, afterall.
That's what I like to think. Whether or not that was in Moffat's head at the time, it ties up very nicely. There's certainly nothing to disprove it.

What I'd have liked to see explained was the eerie silence falling over the Venetian market, with the populace disappearing suddenly...
Old January 9 2013, 10:48 PM   #24
Australis
Writer

It's one of my pet peeves of Moff's tenure, way too many unanswered questions, eg, we see Amy's parents... and then they promptly vanish again. Or "Silence will fall" Or the TARDIS exploding. He's too distracted by the next shiny thing.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 11:02 PM   #25
Iamnotspock
Captain

Australis wrote: View Post
It's one of my pet peeves of Moff's tenure, way too many unanswered questions, eg, we see Amy's parents... and then they promptly vanish again. Or "Silence will fall" Or the TARDIS exploding. He's too distracted by the next shiny thing.
I agree with the point, if not the first example. Amy's parents vanish because they're not important again.
Old January 9 2013, 11:10 PM   #26
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
I agree with the point, if not the first example. Amy's parents vanish because they're not important again.
What point was there in showing her parents? We saw they returned to the void, and her childhood with them had been restored, why would we need to see them when Amy was an adult after that? This is no different, IMHO, then a Companion leaving, and seeing them again.

Now, about the TARDIS explosion, yea, if he's done with that, and not planning on revisiting it as an open mystery, then, that's certainly a legitimate gripe. Though, he may yet revisit it. We were just introduced to The Great intelligence, an enemy that hasn't been seen since Troughton's era, there could be a great big arc tied to the Great Intelligence (It could be behind the Silence, The exploding TARDIS, The Mystery of Claras, The Fall of the 11th....) I'm not saying The Great Intellignce is behind everything, but, it's not out of the question.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 09:46 AM   #27
Starkers
Admiral

This is one of the reasons I was glad they didn't film the Brian Coda, because it's great that he gets to find out about them, but what about Amy's parents and Rory's mum? At least Brian would have some idea what's likely happened to them which gives him more closure than they got. For them presumably Amy and Rory just vanished!

I like to hope that Moffat hasn't fogotten about the voice...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote