TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old January 7 2013, 07:29 AM   #751
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

I'm proud of my Seahawks tonight. I'm glad they won. And a close win like that was good for them. But I feel sad that RGIII's season ended like it did. I understand why he wanted so badly to be in the game and I hope his career isn't ended prematurely.
Old January 7 2013, 07:53 PM   #752
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Sad to see Mike Shanahan going back to his dumbass ways after having such a great regular season. There's no hindsight here whatsoever--any dipshit could have seen that RG3 was miles from 100% and would have taken him out, but not Shanny. Even if Cousins had a bad day coming in as a backup, I highly doubt he would have performed any worse than a very hobbled RG3 did.

I just hope Shanahan didn't kill that kid's career by leaving him in.
Old January 7 2013, 10:06 PM   #753
tighr
Commodore

Sheep wrote: View Post
Sad to see Mike Shanahan going back to his dumbass ways after having such a great regular season. There's no hindsight here whatsoever--any dipshit could have seen that RG3 was miles from 100% and would have taken him out, but not Shanny. Even if Cousins had a bad day coming in as a backup, I highly doubt he would have performed any worse than a very hobbled RG3 did.

I just hope Shanahan didn't kill that kid's career by leaving him in.
On top of that, not RGIII's fault that the Redskins allowed the Seahawks to score 24 unanswered points after jumping to a 14-0 lead in the first two possessions.
Old January 7 2013, 10:27 PM   #754
Aragorn
Admiral

A Virginia TV station reported on their website that RGIII is out 14-18 months with a torn ACL and PCL, but then they changed the story to that he needs more tests because the MRI proved inconclusive due to a previous ACL tear.
Old January 8 2013, 12:04 AM   #755
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Yeah it was painful watching RGIII hobble around yesterday.

I think Seattle can win in Atlanta. The Patriots and Broncos should be fine at home.

The SF/Green Bay game could get interesting. Not sure about that one.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
Old January 9 2013, 07:47 PM   #756
Neroon
Mod of balance

RGIII's surgery today to repair his LCL showed that the ACL was damaged as well. Plus it was the same one he tore in college. Man.... ... it's going to be impossible for him to be ready at the start of the next season. Still... if AP can come back from his knew surgery in seemingly better shape than he was before, maybe RGIII can as well. Shanahan's decision to keep him in doesn't look too good, but as tighr pointed out... the 'Skins defense let them down, too.

As for this weekend's games, I keep getting the feeling that the Falcons are like the boxer with a glass jaw... and the Seahawks - even w/o Chris Clemons - have the punch to take them out.
Old January 9 2013, 08:38 PM   #757
tighr
Commodore

I'm going to go ahead and pick Houston in the upset next week.

I'm picking Denver and San Francisco at home, and I'll take the Seahawks on the road.

Book it.
Old January 11 2013, 12:04 AM   #758
Spider
Dirty Old Man

tighr wrote: View Post
I'm going to go ahead and pick Houston in the upset next week.

I'm picking Denver and San Francisco at home, and I'll take the Seahawks on the road.

Book it.
I'm a Texans fan, and I'm not picking the Texans.

The Texans, in order to win, have to play above their level and New England has to play below their level. Both of those occuring in the same game can, and has, happened before. But I think the evil Patsies will take this one and set up a Brady vs Manning AFC championship which is what the NFL wants anyway.

But I'll be rooting for my Texans anyway. I'd love to see them pull the upset.

spider's new motto: So many Lounge bars, so little time. - DAK

At my age you take what you can get. Or invent. - Mallory
Old January 11 2013, 06:11 PM   #759
Neroon
Mod of balance

Now that NE seems to have developed a more consistent and productive running game, they have become even more of a threat to win the AFC. From what I have seen of the Texans of late, I don't give them much of a chance to beat the Pats. BUT.... that might be when a team is the most dangerous. I doubt Belicheck will let the Pats be overconfident enough to let Houston slip by.
Old January 12 2013, 06:50 AM   #760
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Seattle, Denver, Green Bay, New England.
Old January 12 2013, 04:49 PM   #761
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I'm glad to see so many Seattle predictions. As a Hawks fan, though, I don't breathe easy until the game is actually in the bag. I hope they can do it.
Old January 12 2013, 08:12 PM   #762
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
That's what I'm hoping for. I'd love to see Seattle come to Green Bay for a rematch.
Old January 12 2013, 11:15 PM   #763
tighr
Commodore

I really don't want these referees to decide this game. There have been too many big plays, and adding penalty flags into the mix just makes it unpredictable. Let them play!
Old January 13 2013, 12:25 AM   #764
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
SmoothieX wrote: View Post
That's what I'm hoping for. I'd love to see Seattle come to Green Bay for a rematch.
I really don't know how I feel about it as a Packers fan. I want Seattle to lose, because hey, it's natural to harbor some Fail Mary rage. I'd like GB to get a home Championship game though. But then again, I think Atlanta, despite the record is probably the worst remaining NFC team.

Also, I could handle a loss to Atlanta a little easier I think. Could've lost to MN twice in a row to end the season? That would be pretty horrible. Losing to SF after starting the season with a loss to them? That would be pretty horrible. Losing at Lambeau to Seattle in the playoffs on top of the Inaccurate Reception with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line? Beyond horrible.

The playoffs this year are a minefield, even without the Giants around!
Old January 13 2013, 02:53 AM   #765
tighr
Commodore

Well, you make mistakes, you lose the game.

Unfortunately, both teams were playing against the referees all day. I think the refs racked up enough penalty yards to have won the game outright themselves.