A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 8 2013, 11:45 PM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: New Here: Klingon Question

jimbotron wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I think it would have been hilarious if, during Trials and Tribble-ations, Worf's trip to the past resulted in him immediately appearing as a TOS style Klingon with no one even noticing.
That would have been great.

Unlike with the Klingons, Trek never bothered to address or explain why TNG-era Romulans had head ridges while TOS-era did not.
Being Spock was able to walk around in public on Romulus without a head ridge, and drew no undue notice, one would just assume some have them and some don't.
Old January 9 2013, 12:03 AM   #17
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

I-Am-Prepared! wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, the (great) DS9 epsiode "Trials and Tribbleations" ruined that - put Worf together in a room with TOS Klingons, and one of the characters is going to say *something*!!! So they had to come up with a canon explanation for it.
No. The glorious thing about that episode is that they didn't come up with an explanation.
Old January 9 2013, 12:04 AM   #18
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I think it would have been hilarious if, during Trials and Tribble-ations, Worf's trip to the past resulted in him immediately appearing as a TOS style Klingon with no one even noticing.
This. Emphatically.
Brilliant!

Unlike with the Klingons, Trek never bothered to address or explain why TNG-era Romulans had head ridges while TOS-era did not.
I honestly think Westmore was so busy congratulating himself over a cheap way to do the eyebrows that he thought no one would notice. How a once great Hollywood family has descended into hackdom. Anyone notice how old McCoy in TOS was so much more convincing than old McCoy in TNG?
Old January 9 2013, 12:34 AM   #19
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Anyone notice how old McCoy in TOS was so much more convincing than old McCoy in TNG?
Did you see the test footage of McCoy for TNG? I wish they went with that instead.

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/bo...sited2_211.jpg
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 12:55 AM   #20
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

^ooh, that is good!
Old January 9 2013, 01:21 AM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Unfortunately, the (great) DS9 epsiode "Trials and Tribbleations" ruined that - put Worf together in a room with TOS Klingons, and one of the characters is going to say *something*!!! So they had to come up with a canon explanation for it.
No. The glorious thing about that episode is that they didn't come up with an explanation.
But it wasn't glorious because it pretty much said that there WAS a difference rather than just simply not addressing it at all.
Old January 9 2013, 01:43 AM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Anyone notice how old McCoy in TOS was so much more convincing than old McCoy in TNG?
Did you see the test footage of McCoy for TNG? I wish they went with that instead.

Never saw that before, thanks. Yeah, that would've been better than the cross between McCoy and Doc Brown from Back to the Future.
Old January 9 2013, 02:09 AM   #23
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

R. Star wrote: View Post

Never saw that before, thanks. Yeah, that would've been better than the cross between McCoy and Doc Brown from Back to the Future.
I recall reading that the makeup in "Encounter at Farpoint" was based on what was used in "The Deadly Years".

That test footage looks like De with gray hair.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 02:25 AM   #24
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

I recall reading that the makeup in "Encounter at Farpoint" was based on what was used in "The Deadly Years".

Sort of, yeah. Remember that the McCoy we see in TNG is supposed to be nearly 80 years older than the McCoy we see in the movies! Some gray hair and a few more wrinkles isn't going to cut it.
Old January 9 2013, 02:44 AM   #25
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

Sort of, yeah. Remember that the McCoy we see in TNG is supposed to be nearly 80 years older than the McCoy we see in the movies! Some gray hair and a few more wrinkles isn't going to cut it.
Maybe he took up plastic surgery in his later years of practicing medicine.
Old January 9 2013, 02:48 AM   #26
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

That is probably what they'd use today, since what the novelverse would later establish about the human lifespan - 100 is considered prime physical condition - would make 137 years not anywhere near as ancient as McCoy looked on TNG.
Old January 9 2013, 03:22 AM   #27
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

But a face that looks like a jello mold is?

This is convincing:

This is not:

The original makeup worked with Kelley's face. The Westmore makeup is "generic old man #12".

Last edited by A beaker full of death; January 9 2013 at 03:53 AM.
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 03:36 AM   #28
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

The hair from the TOS episode isn't.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 03:50 AM   #29
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I'm not going to argue that the makeup used in the episode was great, it wasn't. I don't think it was terrible but it was certainly lacking. (I thought the old-age makeup used in "Too Short a Season" was far worse, however.) Jut that the original old-age look wasn't far enough to depict a 137-year-old man where they essentially took Kelly and added some slightly grayer hair and some wrinkles. The old-age makeup in the TOS episode is very good, and the old-age makeup used on Pulaski in "Unnatural Selection" was decent, but, yeah, the makeup in EaF wasn't great.

Still, that McCoy looks more like a 137-year-old man than the original test makeup.

Look at the pictures, I also sort of think the difference is less about the makeup and more about the lighting used. The corridor scene is way overlit and makes the makeup look poor, the TOS scene seems to have much more natural and subdued levels of lighting, making things look better.
Old January 9 2013, 06:10 AM   #30
MacLeod
Admiral

To be honest, I think it's one of those things that most fans would have been happy to accept as a "fact of life" - i.e. we all know Klingons look different in TOS because the budget was smaller, but in our minds we're happy to ignore that. Suspension of disbelief.

TBH, I've never watched Enterprise and never will, so I just assume they always had the bumpy foreheads. :P (and just put "Trials" out of my mind)....
No they didn't have to come up with a canon explanation they could have just left it as a mystery.

WORF: We do not discuss it with outsiders

Acknowledge it and move on.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote