The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 8 2013, 11:10 PM   #31
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: My "Just Saw Insurrection For the First Time" Review.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
...no one cared...
This pretty much sums up the movie for me.
Old January 8 2013, 11:15 PM   #32
lurok
Commodore

Pretty much.

But at the risk of repetition, the Frakes/Sirtis commentary makes it a lot more fun.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 11:17 PM   #33
Dream
Admiral

I still don't know why they did this story anyway. They should have trashed the script and started over.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 02:27 AM   #34
Lance
Commodore

Lance wrote: View Post
The thing which surprised me is that it somehow felt smaller than First Contact. And more cloistered too, in a funny sort of way. FC actually felt bigger and bolder and more "in the open", which is somewhat ironic because INS featured literally more external scenes away from the Enterprise than FC and costed way more money to shoot. I think FC was just better at suggesting its world, hinting in a way which makes it seem so broad while the size is actually scaled right back. On the other hand, INS kind of puts it all up there on the screen and then doesn't do anything interesting with any of it.
I always thought Insurrection felt "small" because it was about a few hundred people on an insignificant planet in the middle of a region no one cared about. In First Contact, the fate of the entire Federation was at stake--if they failed, everyone would be Borg. The stakes were higher and the scale was larger.
It certainly is ironic that while INS had the bigger budget of the two (I remember reading that somewhere) and therefore, in production terms, more resources to throw at things, it all somehow ended up looking and feeling much smaller and cheaper than First Contact did.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 02:43 AM   #35
Australis
Writer

Hey, thanks for mentioning 'Fade In'. I didn't know it existed, and as a writer, I think it's going to be a great read.

Dream wrote: View Post
I still don't know why they did this story anyway. They should have trashed the script and started over.
I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I'm willing to bet studio interference + time constraints = no time left.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 02:49 AM   #36
marksound
Fleet Captain

Insurrection is not that bad, for Pete's sake. Some of you act like it's Plan 9 or something.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 02:52 AM   #37
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

lurok wrote: View Post
Pretty much.

But at the risk of repetition, the Frakes/Sirtis commentary makes it a lot more fun.
Yeah, but you're repeating me, so it's okay. In fact, I endorse such actions.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 05:50 AM   #38
sonak
Vice Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Pretty much.

Yeah, but you're repeating me, so it's okay. In fact, I endorse such actions.

I have read over and over again about how great their commentary is, but I have an older version of the movie on DVD. I wish there was somewhere I could just read the transcript of it or something, I don't really want to buy a new blu-ray disc of one of the worst Trek movies of the entire series just to hear the commentary.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 05:54 AM   #39
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

I'm reading Patrick's notes to Berman and Pillar in "Fade In", and frankly, I'm just facepalming. It's his character, he can do anything he wants. But he's really painting himself into a corner by wanting to move in those directions.

He complains that if they go in Pillers direction, we'll eventually see them singing "Row Row Row Your Boat"?? Better that than basejumping or parachuting from outer space which are some similar directions that Shatner took in being more "Humorous, lighter, swashbuckling."*

* I hope what I'm trying to say there gets across. Stewart seems to want to avoid some of the pitfalls of the TOS crew, and turns around and repeats different mistakes. And does it WORSE.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 06:05 AM   #40
MacLeod
Admiral

If you search around this site (and net) you'll probably find some of the answer. The original ideas for INS were far more interesting, but Stewart in particular wanted something lighter (unless I'm mis-remembering).
Berman and Piller actually conceived of it as a lighter film from the getgo, because they didn't believe they could (or should) "out-Borg the Borg" and Berman was particularly fond of the success of The Voyage Home, and believed its lighter tone was largely responsible for its success.
Sure TVH was lighter tone move, but to break it down to a one line description of the movie...

The Key to Saving Earth can be found only in it's past.

The crew of the Enterprise fight to save a Planet.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 06:15 AM   #41
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Really, all they had to do was make the Baku human. They could have just as easily been an early human settlement like those in "Up the Long Ladder" (Hell, make them actual Amish.) and suddenly, even with everything else as is, it becomes a substantially stronger film.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 06:27 AM   #42
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Really, all they had to do was make the Baku human. They could have just as easily been an early human settlement like those in "Up the Long Ladder" (Hell, make them actual Amish.) and suddenly, even with everything else as is, it becomes a substantially stronger film.
No. All they had to do was use The Dominion. The film could've benefited tremendously from a better villain. No matter how you frame it no one is threatened or cares about baddies who have an addiction to plastic surgery. Make the film a race for resources between the Dominion and Starfleet, with the 600 Ba'ku on the planet caught in the crossfire between these two colossal powers. It would make the Ba'ku more sympathetic than just being white, pretty hippy people who hate technology, and potentially add depth to why the Ba'ku rejected it. Have the planet and the rings decimated by the literal warzone the planet had become by the end of the film, and have the Ba'ku forced to relocate because their paradise was lost. That's the film INS should've been. It wouldn't have been the poetic, noble and heroic ending of GEN or FC, but it would've stood out among the TNG films and be remembered for having the bawls to do something that different and extreme.
M.A.C.O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 06:48 AM   #43
CorporalClegg
Admiral

The Dominion don't belong in a TNG film. Try again.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 06:57 AM   #44
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

I guess the Dominion don't belong on Voyager training simulations for shuttle pilots also. See VOY episode Parturition in season 2. DS9 doesn't have a monoploy on the Dominion ya know. Try again.
M.A.C.O. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 07:02 AM   #45
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
The Dominion don't belong in a TNG film. Try again.
It would be nice to see Picard do the exact opposite of what Sisko does in "The Pale Moonlight"

But I am completly at a loss to think of any race in ST history* that makes the viewer go, "Are you stupid Picard? Do you know how valuable it would be to have (X) as your allies in the war?"

*That isn't already involved. The Ferengi have too much baggage, the Tholians are too alien. The Gorn are too alien.I dunno.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote