Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 3 2013, 06:03 AM   #46
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Favorite blatant contradictions

I just found they're off the hook for Mezzati's home planet. She did not go back to her home planet (Which Janeway said she'd been to), she went home with the twins.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 06:14 AM   #47
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You remember back in the 1978 Superman movie when that 3 year old Kal El lifts the Kent family Model T Ford above his head?

It would have been fantastic seeing those kids prove that they are 4 or 5 times stronger than Harry Kim because they all have hydrolic duranium endoskellitons.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 09:24 PM   #48
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Finn wrote: View Post
Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I think my absolute favorite was Harry Kim never getting promoted (even though everyone around him was) but somehow retaining a critical position on the bridge and the command staff. If he's not worthy of promotion, then bring in someone who is.
How is that a contradication??
It's a critical position, which means it should be filled by someone who's trusted and highly capable. You can put a bright, promising ensign there, no problem. If he does well, you keep him there and give him a promotion. If he doesn't do well, you shuffle him to a different department where his skills can be utilized better.

But if such an officer is never promoted from ensign after seven years, it's because he's either not trusted or has proven himself incapable. In neither case would you simply leave him in that critical job.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 03:58 PM   #49
Finn
Vice Admiral

true but Janeway herself said she didnt want to promote him due to their situtation, and she handpicked him for ops

silly perhaps but not really a contradiction given who his Captain is...
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 04:38 PM   #50
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

It was mentioned earlier about "Threshold" and the lizard-syndrome that Paris and Janeway developed for travelling at warp 10. By the end of the episode the Doctor had cured them and they never showed any negative effects of the transformation afterwards (you have to love Voyager's reset button almost as much as the shuttlecraft genie).

Why didn't they just go ahead and jump to warp 10 for a second in order to get back to Earth. Once there, the Doctor could then cure all the human crew (there is nothing to saw the aliens onboard would be affected in the same way) by the same method no bother.
Old January 8 2013, 05:20 PM   #51
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

true but Janeway herself said she didnt want to promote him due to their situtation, and she handpicked him for ops

Okay, you're right. The contradiction isn't Harry, the contradiction is JANEWAY.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 10:11 PM   #52
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
It was mentioned earlier about "Threshold" and the lizard-syndrome that Paris and Janeway developed for travelling at warp 10. By the end of the episode the Doctor had cured them and they never showed any negative effects of the transformation afterwards (you have to love Voyager's reset button almost as much as the shuttlecraft genie).

Why didn't they just go ahead and jump to warp 10 for a second in order to get back to Earth. Once there, the Doctor could then cure all the human crew (there is nothing to saw the aliens onboard would be affected in the same way) by the same method no bother.

"Shuttle Genie"

That's hilarious.

The shuttle didn't have a steering wheel. They had no idea how to navigate in a strait line at warp ten, god forbid plot a course to earth.

The technology was in it's it's infancy.

Old January 8 2013, 10:20 PM   #53
Dale Sams
Captain

Is she implying that if she promoted him, he'd HAVE to change positions? That's just silly.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 10:22 PM   #54
Finn
Vice Admiral

^No. She'd have to promote everybody else. At least, that's probably Janeway's reasoning
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 10:37 PM   #55
lurok
Commodore

I've read this thread twice now and still makes no sense
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 11:33 PM   #56
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

^No. She'd have to promote everybody else. At least, that's probably Janeway's reasoning
Almost thirty people died (or left) (I counted once.).

Janeway decided to consolidate rank and staff positions rather than promote because then ther'd be no grunts at the bottom.

Kim completely has to move out of Ops.

If he wants more responsibility in proportion to an increase in rank, he has to do more. He can't do more if he's doing the same thing. And if he is moonlights to find that extra responsibility, then he's half assing the Ops job... And it's a consideration for everyone elses safety that they promote a petty chief or an able crewman to the Ops Job if Kim thinks his talents are more suited elsewhere.

But as I said a long time ago. The rank is about the size of the department and the amount of crew he has to command to keep Ops running 24/7 and their rank. Anyone can sit in the chair and do that job for a dutyshift. They're all supergeniuses. Kim's really hard job is to tell the 10 enlisted crewmen in his department what to do and when to do it and let them know what they are doing and when they are doing that for the next ten weeks and if/when that's all going to change due to the unexpected and if they are worthy of promotion, stagnation or demotion... When Section heads have a poker night they play for crew to get rid of their lemons.

Old January 9 2013, 02:42 PM   #57
hux
Lieutenant Commander

Scorpion - Kes reliably informs us that Species 8472 is a violent race of pure evil and Janeway uses this information to justify helping the Borg to murder as many of them as they like

In the Flesh - turns out....Species 8472 are fluffy, cuddly space bunnies with hearts of gold......making Kes look like and idiot and Janeway an accomplice to attempted genocide

oops

Lister - Don't give me any of that Star Trek crap, its too early in the morning
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 11:15 PM   #58
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Not a contradiction.

That happened organically.

Janeway could have apologised however.

Old January 10 2013, 06:02 PM   #59
hux
Lieutenant Commander

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Not a contradiction.

That happened organically.

Janeway could have apologised however.
Their established character traits are entirely undermined and presented as being essentially the absolute opposite of reality - doing that over the period of one episode does not adequately qualify as being an organic development to me

and if Janeway had apologised......now that really would have been a contradiction of established character traits

Lister - Don't give me any of that Star Trek crap, its too early in the morning
hux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 06:08 PM   #60
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Janeway tried to tractor 8472's ship, beam it away, then had her people board it all during their first encounter as if she was entitled to do all this... then she wonders why the pilot reacted in a hostile way?