Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 8 2013, 04:29 PM   #16
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: Billie Piper not involved in 50th anniversary

never had a problem with Rose...that being said i'm not disappointed she isn't returning. i'd rather a companion from the classic series return instead. like Jamie or Ace.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 04:29 PM   #17
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Oh well. We'll see her when the "Rose Tyler Adventures" show premieres in 2045 anyway.
Old January 8 2013, 06:11 PM   #18
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Emh wrote: View Post
It's a shame she's not returning if for no other reason than because she was pivotal to the show's successful return. That being said, I'm not going to loss any sleep over it.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Wow, I didn't even think about the possibility of companions coming back for the 50th anniversary. Of course this could explain how they bring back Tennant, and how both of them are on that distant world.
Why wouldn't companions come back? Technically, having the companions return makes more sense than previous incarnations of The Doctor.

Of course, this is Doctor Who, so I expect everything including the kitchen sink.
Oh all the living companions could come back and it will probably be good. The thing is though everyone's been talking about what Doctors are coming back I totally forgot about the whole thing with the Companions.

Also, a good thing about a Rose come back might not be rose, but more along the lines of getting Mickey back too. That would be nice.

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 06:11 PM   #19
Lonemagpie
Writer

TBH, you need *one* companion return in the 50th- William Russell as Ian.

Maybe two if you want to give Carole Ann Ford a cameo.

That's it- first to go with the current one... Bookends. And that's what I'd do.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 07:01 PM   #20
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well as much as I think I'd like to see Rose again - I agree her arc was pretty well wrapped up. But then again... she was still the first modern series companion. And she does have a Doctor of her own with a baby Tardis too - so it's feasible that they could crop up somehow.

I'd even think it'd be interesting if somehow there was some massive anomaly that basically somehow, 11 encounters a lot of his previous selves or their companions. Doesn't even have to be some 'BIIIIIG' story - could be wrapped up in a two parter or a special. I'm sure there's got to be some English or American or Aussie actors that can 'resemble' any of the previous Doctors long enough for a quick cameo. Heck, I'd even be happy if he just reverted to each of his previous incarnations during the story and then shoot forward back to 11.

Even if we dont' see companions - or maybe only briefly. Heck they could even repurpose some old footage, just remaster it and clean it up so it fits better and it could be a fitting 50th anniversary tribute and only takes one or two episodes to resolve. Could even be sold/packaged as a special unto itself.
Old January 8 2013, 07:10 PM   #21
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i think a good multi-Companion adventure would be several companions working together to save the Doctor. four or five previous companions and the current one.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:37 PM   #22
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Never seeing Rose, Martha or Amy again would suit me fine.

Wow... Just looked it up. William Russell is 88. I didn't realise he was almost 40 when Doctor Who started.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:42 PM   #23
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Er... has the "50th Anniversary Special" even been written yet?

Last I heard, Moffat mentioned "having a few ideas", but nothing much more concrete than that.

Yet.

At this stage we've still no idea whether the anniversary will be celebrated in a single "special" episode, or whether the whole next series will be dedicated to it in some fashion. And if there is a crossover that brings together characters from the past with characters from the present, we don't have a clue if it will occur at the very beginning of the next series, or perhaps on the actual anniversary date of the first Hartnel episode, or if they'll build up to it over the course of the entire next series, with the crossover event taking place in the climactic final episode(s) of the season.

With the official anniversary as yet unwritten, and nearly a year in the future (give or take), isn't it maybe just a tad early for TPTB to be asking any old cast-mates about reprising their old characters?

The point is: Just because Billie Piper has yet to be approached doesn't negate the possibility that she'll be approached tomorrow, or next week, or next month, or any other time between now and the time the "special" actually goes before the cameras.
Old January 8 2013, 08:42 PM   #24
lurok
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Captain Jack and River Song need an adventure together. Period.
Ditto.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:49 PM   #25
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Screw that... Captain Jack and River Song need a whole SERIES together. Haven't they already established that River, like Jack, was a "time agent", and that's why she has the same kind of time-doo-hickie-wrist-band? Putting them together in their own show about two renegade time agents seems only natural.
Old January 8 2013, 08:51 PM   #26
MacLeod
Admiral

chardman wrote: View Post
Er... has the "50th Anniversary Special" even been written yet?

Last I heard, Moffat mentioned "having a few ideas"`, but nothing more concrete than that. Yet.

At this stage we've still no idea whether the anniversary will be celebrated in a single "special" episode, or whether the whole next series will be dedicated to it in some fashion. And if there is a crossover that brings together characters from the past with characters from the present, we don't have a clue if it will occur at the very beginning of the next series, or perhaps on the actual anniversary date of the first Hartnel episode, or if they'll build up to it over the course of the entire next series, with the crossover event taking place in the climactic final episode(s) of the season.

With the official anniversary as yet unwritten, and nearly a year in the future (give or take), isn't it maybe just a tad early for TPTB to be asking any old cast-mates about reprising their old characters?

The point is: Just because Billie Piper has yet to be approached doesn't negate the possibility that she'll be approached tomorrow, or next week, or next month, or any other time between now and the time the "special" actually goes before the cameras.
Well yes and no, if they want particualr actors to reprise roles, they'll have to make sure they are availble for specific dates, and the sooner you do that the easier it might be for shooting purposes.

As for the date, the BBC would be foolish not to avail itself of the actual date given that it is a Saturday.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:54 PM   #27
RoJoHen
Awesome

Screw that... Captain Jack and River Song need a whole SERIES together. Haven't they already established that River, like Jack, was a "time agent", and that's why she has the same kind of time-doo-hickie-wrist-band? Putting them together in their own show about two renegade time agents seems only natural.
Actually, I think they established (without actually saying his name) that River stole her time vortex manipulator off of Captain Jack's arm.
Old January 8 2013, 09:00 PM   #28
lurok
Commodore

Screw that I just want those actors in same show. But make it funny/witty. They do that well.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 09:03 PM   #29
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Actually, I think they established (without actually saying his name) that River stole her time vortex manipulator off of Captain Jack's arm.
She "bought" it from Dorium, who got it "off the wrist of a handsome time agent."
Old January 8 2013, 09:10 PM   #30
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

I'd love to see the Captain Jack and River Song show...it sounds better than the last season of Torchwood.

I'd like to see Carole Ann Ford and Georgia Moffett in the 50th special. There's questions that need answering...