RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 400
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 5 2013, 07:33 PM   #16
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Re: Favorite Season Two Episodes

There's one thing I didn't understand with Time Squared. If it's the same time-displaced Picard (and shuttle) that are stuck in the loop, how many cycles did they go through? Just one? We see the log where Riker sees the shuttle off, so I assume it was the first one. Otherwise both that Picard and shuttle would age infinitely until the loop is stopped.

Why was that Picard so intent on making the same decision again? How did the real Picard know to fly through the portal? The setup was great, but the payoff was confusing.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 01:45 PM   #17
Lance
Commodore

Almost all of them have something for me. I'm very nostalgic about Season Two, largely because it was the only one I owned in full on videotape back in the day, so I watched it over and over again! Of particular note I'd say I love Where Silence Has Lease (spooky atmosphere), Measure Of A Man (for all the usually stated reasons), Q Who (see previous entry), The Royale (again with the off feeling, love the bizarre mystery aspects), Peak Performance... I could go on. TNG Season Two struck just the right balance for me between the 'freshness' of Season One, and the more confident style that it would carry through to subsequent seasons.

Of course, I'm not blind to it's flaws. The Oirish one was terrible, and Shades Of Grey... well, I'd like to read a spirited defence of that one. I could never write such a defence, though.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 02:00 PM   #18
I-Am-Prepared!
Ensign

I love the second season.

Firstly, a bunch of standout episodes: "Q Who", "Contagion", "Elementary, Dear Data", "A Matter of Honour", "The Measure of a Man", "Peak Performance", "Time Squared" (although I think this one's overrated), "The Emissary", "Loud as a Whisper", "Samaritan Snare" (if only for the Picard backstory).

Secondly, characters! I love Kate Pulaski - a far more interesting character than Crusher. Was she a better fit for the TNG ensemble? No, and I'm glad that McFadden returned as Beverley in the third season. But Pulaski was a much better character - from her gentle, cynical prodding of Data, to her relationship with Worf, to her care and interest in Geordi's vision, and her general humour and strength, I thought she was wonderful. And, of course, Whoopi as Guinan added so much to the second season and the rest of the series.

Thirdly, much better characterisations! Especially Picard - who begun his evolution here from stuffy grump-face to erstwhile, diplomatic, thoughtful, unrelenting leader and father by the third season.

Oh, and Ron Jones was still around!
I-Am-Prepared! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 02:08 PM   #19
Lance
Commodore

There are some cracking good episodes in there. And I never understood the Pulaski hate either.
Old January 6 2013, 11:46 PM   #20
Jeyl
Commodore

Lance wrote: View Post
And I never understood the Pulaski hate either.
Well, when a crew member unwillingly becomes impregnated by an unknown alien force, the first duty of ANY DOCTOR is to run diagnostics in the... Oh, no. She just takes the victim to the bar. And to add a cherry on top, Pulaski doesn't even inform the Captain what has transpired until he confronts her in person.

The only redeeming moment in her entire presence was when she voiced out against the prime directive in Pen Pals.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 01:45 AM   #21
AdmiralScreed
Captain

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Well, when a crew member unwillingly becomes impregnated by an unknown alien force, the first duty of ANY DOCTOR is to run diagnostics in the... Oh, no. She just takes the victim to the bar. And to add a cherry on top, Pulaski doesn't even inform the Captain what has transpired until he confronts her in person.
That's a good point. I think the purpose of that scene was to show viewers the newly constructed Ten Forward set, but you're right, Pulaski's response to that was not particularly realistic for a Doctor.

I still loved the character, though. She added a little bit of conflict to the main cast and made things a little more interesting. She had a wonderful character arc, too. The way she came around to Data was great, and she had real chemistry with Brent Spiner and Michael Dorn when they were on screen together. I love the actor and everything she brought to the show, and it's a shame she left.
Old January 7 2013, 05:28 AM   #22
davejames
Vice Admiral

jimbotron wrote: View Post
There's one thing I didn't understand with Time Squared. If it's the same time-displaced Picard (and shuttle) that are stuck in the loop, how many cycles did they go through? Just one? We see the log where Riker sees the shuttle off, so I assume it was the first one. Otherwise both that Picard and shuttle would age infinitely until the loop is stopped.

Why was that Picard so intent on making the same decision again? How did the real Picard know to fly through the portal? The setup was great, but the payoff was confusing.
Well supposedly what finally stopped the cycle was our Picard killing the time-displaced one. Before that, it would always end with Picard leaving in the shuttle (in order to draw attention away from the Enterprise, or so he hoped), at which point the Enterprise would get destroyed and Picard sent back 6 hours.

This time, Picard realized that the correct decision was to stay on the Enterprise. And since trying to escape the vortex wasn't working for them, the only alternative was to fly right into the heart of it.

Why that actually worked, who knows.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 12:07 PM   #23
I-Am-Prepared!
Ensign

davejames wrote: View Post
jimbotron wrote: View Post

Well supposedly what finally stopped the cycle was our Picard killing the time-displaced one. Before that, it would always end with Picard leaving in the shuttle (in order to draw attention away from the Enterprise, or so he hoped), at which point the Enterprise would get destroyed and Picard sent back 6 hours.

This time, Picard realized that the correct decision was to stay on the Enterprise. And since trying to escape the vortex wasn't working for them, the only alternative was to fly right into the heart of it.

Why that actually worked, who knows.
Don't try and explain this episode - at the end of the day, none of it makes very much sense. But it *is* quite compelling, at least for the first 30 minutes or so.
Old January 7 2013, 12:10 PM   #24
I-Am-Prepared!
Ensign

The only redeeming moment in her entire presence was when she voiced out against the prime directive in Pen Pals.
It seems a little unfair to single out one moment in quite a poorly-written episode to dismiss the character out-of-hand.
Old January 7 2013, 04:02 PM   #25
Lance
Commodore

I-Am-Prepared! wrote: View Post
It seems a little unfair to single out one moment in quite a poorly-written episode to dismiss the character out-of-hand.
Agreed, I-Am-Prepared. Besides which, I've always found it kinda sweet that the first person Deanna feels she can 'fess up to about the harrowing experience is the one senior crewmember who hasn't been on the ship five minutes. "I've just been raped by a mysterious alien" not being the easiest sort of thing to come out to your friends about, Pulaski being a relative stranger (but still a senior member of staff) no doubt made it much easier to cope with.

Added to which, if anything, the scene actually emphasises Pulaski's more compassionate traits. She's thinking of Deanna's feelings above the safety of the ship, yes. But it also shows she's got heart.
Old January 8 2013, 06:22 PM   #26
Mott the barber
Commodore

MikeS wrote: View Post
If this is a top five. In no order -

Contagion
Matter of Honour
Peak Performance
Measure of a Man
Q Who?
You know, I think I completely agree with you. Nice list!