Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 8 2013, 01:10 PM   #91
Vasquez Rocks
Commodore

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

filled with specially made bonus features focusing on Star Trek's finest two-parter
Will those same bonus features be included on the season 3 and 4 blu-rays as well or will we have to buy this special set to get them?
Vasquez Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 01:56 PM   #92
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Tosk wrote: View Post
If they really wanted me to flip, the feature length edit of BOBW would also include the opening of DS9's Emissary in the correct spot.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 03:20 PM   #93
Robert Comsol
Commodore

"If they really wanted me to flip, the feature length edit of BOBW would also include the opening of DS9's Emissary in the correct spot."
With seamless-branching Blu-ray technology offers the option of watching multiple versions.

Considering CBS did just one Blu-ray disc with Tribbles for TOS (the TOS and TOS-R episode, the TAS episode and the DS9 time travel episode) it would be a nice gesture to give BOBW a similar royal treat, at least as an exception from the rule.

In regard to the supposedly "incorrect" framing of "Sins of the Father" I can't possibly find fault with it, especially since it is the only correct framing during this entire BD release that represents the DP's original intentions because he expected the areas outside the safe action frame to be cropped by the overscan of our 4:3 tube television sets, then.

A properly calibrated flat screen with 1:1 pixel mapping or no overscan will display this episode as it had been intended to be seen by the audience.

The amount of time, money and talent literally wasted to clean up production flaws, especially in the top and bottom areas of the images - areas considered expendable by the DP's because unseen by 4:3 TV audiences - is interesting, to say the least.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 03:39 PM   #94
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post
If sales figures for Enterprise get close enough to the TNG season set figures, you can bet your bottom dollar that CBS-D will work on restoring DS9 and Voyager for Blu-Ray.

I have yet to see my TNG seasons 1 and 2 blus, as I haven't attained my HDTV and Blu-Ray system, but I am absolutely buying into these sets.

The stills and side-by-sides, plus the details of the staggering work that is going into the project, have my jaw permanently dragging on the floor.

The fact that this is happening at all is a miracle, and if they get to DS9 and Voyager, it'll be glorious.
I doubt Enterprise will get even near the sales that TNG is getting.

But maybe it won't matter, since releasing Enterprise on Blu-Ray is as simple as just copying their masters to Blu-Ray format.

TNG has been a lot of painstaking work, but so far it's been worth it for what we're getting.

I personally wanted more, but happy to get what we have.
Old January 8 2013, 06:15 PM   #95
Mott the barber
Commodore

Old January 8 2013, 07:11 PM   #96
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

I wonder if this points to having a BOBW 1+2 Fathom screening. I was hoping for Yesterday's Enterprise and BOBW1, but I'll take the two-parter.

Well, I'm assuming they continue the Fathom screenings - it's a great idea.

I suppose it would be nice to include the second part of any season cliffhanger with the preceding season so the 2-parters are together. But years from now, when all seasons are available together, I doubt it will matter. Changing discs isn't a big deal.

Off-topic - the cover for the Enterprise BD set is a mess. Ugly Photoshop with pasted-on heads. TNG's is much better by comparison.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 07:46 PM   #97
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

If they really wanted me to flip, the feature length edit of BOBW would also include the opening of DS9's Emissary in the correct spot.

Don't worry, I'm not serious...but it'd be cool.
That would actually be pretty cool. I'd still want the episode as it originally aired but this would be an amazing special feature.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:03 PM   #98
trekker670
Captain

TheSeeker wrote: View Post

Don't worry, I'm not serious...but it'd be cool.
That would actually be pretty cool. I'd still want the episode as it originally aired but this would be an amazing special feature.
Has there been a fan edit of the scenes in question?
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:32 PM   #99
NewHorizon
Captain

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Has there been a fan edit of the scenes in question?
Not that I've scene, but I wonder how that would fit? There is some pretty fancy stuff going on in that DS9 footage. Would it mesh properly within S3 TNG?
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:40 PM   #100
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah I'm not sure it would fit that well. Most of the action we see surrounds Sisko and what he's going through, with the giant battle just sort of happening in the background.

Plus, as NewHorizon says, the effects and direction are MUCH more dynamic than what we see in BOBW. It would stand out like a sore thumb.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:54 PM   #101
Robert Comsol
Commodore

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
"Not that I've scene, but I wonder how that would fit? There is some pretty fancy stuff going on in that DS9 footage. Would it mesh properly within S3 TNG?"
It would, I did a personal edit many years ago. I inserted the VFX battle scenes (and those only!) just before Riker and Shelby arrive on the bridge to see Admiral Hanson's "last man standing" report.

The speed of the Wolf 359 Starfleet vessels is okay as the best VFX scene comes last: This incredible camera pan with the Borg cube just vaporizing the defense drones (in comparison the battle looks almost static).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 09:36 PM   #102
trekker670
Captain

Memory Alpha has a lot of information regarding the production of BOBW. It outlines several deleted scenes (it doesn't mention whether they were cut before or after filming) and a few funny gags, all of which I hope make it to these releases!

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_...nd_Information
Old January 8 2013, 11:17 PM   #103
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Might be releasing a bit much in a one-month timeframe.
Old January 8 2013, 11:27 PM   #104
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
In regard to the supposedly "incorrect" framing of "Sins of the Father" I can't possibly find fault with it, especially since it is the only correct framing during this entire BD release that represents the DP's original intentions because he expected the areas outside the safe action frame to be cropped by the overscan of our 4:3 tube television sets, then.
It's still not accurate. Every shot that has no SPFX shows less than the old master, and every shot that does contain SPFX shows more info than the old master. So no matter the justification, the transfer is not consistent.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 11:33 PM   #105
trekker670
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Might be releasing a bit much in a one-month timeframe.
More like 2 weeks! I would rather them hold off on ENT until the hiatus between TNG and DS9 and/or DS9 and VOY