A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite all time series? and why?
Star Trek : The Original Series TOS 30 34.09%
Star Trek : The Next generation TNG 20 22.73%
Star Trek : Deep Space Nine DS9 37 42.05%
Star Trek : Voyager VOY 5 5.68%
Star Trek Enterprise Ent 6 6.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 7 2013, 04:23 AM   #91
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Re: What is your favorite series and why?

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
It's interesting how TNG used to be second place in polls like this but since Abrams started making movies, TOS has taken over that slot with a vengeance.
TOS and NuTrek aren't the same thing and really shouldn't be categorized together.
No, not the same thing - but as a long time disciple of TOS I personally feel a very familiar TOS-like vibe in NuTrek - albeit with a glossy, modern sheen.
Agree.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 05:42 AM   #92
Arpy
Rear Admiral

TNG - Trek at it's apex
TOS Movies
DS9
TOS
FC
ST'09
Rest of TNG Movies
VOY
ENT
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:30 AM   #93
Lucky
Commander

I have trouble with these kinds of questions, as it always comes down to two. I do strongly feel DS9 was the best Star Trek series. The writing and character development were truly exceptional.

But at the same time, I love TOS. I may not find it better than DS9, but there is a sense of comfort and relaxation I get watching those episodes I don't get from any other series. Perhaps it is because I grew up with those characters and can't remember a time not knowing who they were. The series has tons of sentimental attachment due to that, plus it also had some really amazing episodes.

Since this is for my favorite series, I'm going to give the edge slightly to TOS. Watching Captain Kirk and his crew trek across space never gets old for me.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 12:12 PM   #94
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

TNG. Reason? Everything about it was just so wonderful. I find DS9 unwatchable. Brook's overacting really is grating. That episode where he's on a holodeck (I think) and experiences racism annoys me. He should have toned it down.
Lt. LaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:50 PM   #95
Garrovick
Commander

I'm another one who grew up with TOS all during the 1970's and early 1980's, so TOS will always be my favorite. I've seen the episodes so many times by now they are like old friends who I can always count on to be there for me.

I'd list DS9 a very close second, though. I didn't really warm to it at first but it definitely grew on me. I do believe that Ben Sisko is still my favorite of all the captains, though. If I had to pick one to serve with he'd be my choice.

I love TNG, too, but it just seemed a little too "perfect" to me. I do have a list of favorite TNG episodes that I still rewatch on occasion but I can't ever imagine it being as important to me as TOS is.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:55 PM   #96
AloriaDax
Lieutenant Junior Grade

R. Star wrote: View Post
DS9.

Sure the other four series explored strange new worlds, but DS9 really fleshed them out. Definitely DS9 had the best character development and overall plot. To say nothing of the phenomenal use of their supporting characters.

Certainly each of the other series had their strengths, and some of them individually may have outweighed DS9, but in my opinion DS9 definitely had the best overall package.
Everything you said is true here. Couldn't agree more. And you know what (about your signature) I'm not happy with or about JJ Abrams. I feel like he has ruined Star Trek for me, it doesn't even feel like Star Trek anymore...
AloriaDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 01:09 AM   #97
Antni
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Antni's Twitter Profile

For me it's a toss between The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine as TNG was what i grew up watching as a kid and everytime I see a picture of the Enterprise-D I fall in love with it even more. What a ship! As for Deep Space Nine there was great story and deep characters and i find Dukat to be one of the best villians ever. As much as i love the idea of the perfect future etc it was good to see the Federation in peril too against the Dominion as it showed you how in hard times we still will pull together and help eachother to keep ourselves free.
Antni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 01:34 AM   #98
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

While TNG is far superior in acting and storytelling, TOS is my favorite. You can't beat the real thing.
Old January 8 2013, 12:24 PM   #99
jpch
Commander

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
jpch wrote: View Post
Sector 7 wrote: View Post
I wish you had put Star Trek: The Animated Series in your poll. It was my first introduction to Star Trek in the early 1970s. Afterward, TOS turned up in syndication and I fell in love with Trek!

I voted for TOS, but TAS also holds a special place in my heart.
oh sorry i always thought the animated series was not canon.
Why would it's non-canon status preclude its being on a list of possible favorite series?
Because if i put 1 that is not canon,i am gonna have to put many others. should i put every fan made trek production??
jpch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 12:25 PM   #100
jpch
Commander

Omg!!!! Voyager fans Vote now!!!!!
Old January 8 2013, 12:29 PM   #101
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I voted for my crack candy series, which is VOY.

Janeway's hands..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 01:57 PM   #102
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

oh sorry i always thought the animated series was not canon.
Why would it's non-canon status preclude its being on a list of possible favorite series?
Because if i put 1 that is not canon,i am gonna have to put many others. should i put every fan made trek production??
Well, let's see...

The production was licensed by Paramount, overseen by Roddenberry, had scripts by Fontana and Gerrold among others and had the entire cast back in their original roles minus Walter Koenig (who wrote The Infinite Vulcan). Plus elements of the show were used in DS9, ENT and Star Trek 2009.

If you can show me a fan film that has all those elements, then I'd say add them to the list.

And having TAS there would only serve to siphon off votes from TOS. Which I'm sure would make some Modern Trek fans feel better about their respective series.
Old January 8 2013, 02:18 PM   #103
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Garrovick wrote: View Post
...TOS will always be my favorite. I've seen the episodes so many times by now they are like old friends who I can always count on to be there for me.
Spot on - my sentiments exactly, Garrovick.
Old January 9 2013, 09:36 PM   #104
jpch
Commander

BillJ wrote: View Post
Well, let's see...

The production was licensed by Paramount, overseen by Roddenberry, had scripts by Fontana and Gerrold among others and had the entire cast back in their original roles minus Walter Koenig (who wrote The Infinite Vulcan). Plus elements of the show were used in DS9, ENT and Star Trek 2009.

If you can show me a fan film that has all those elements, then I'd say add them to the list.

And having TAS there would only serve to siphon off votes from TOS. Which I'm sure would make some Modern Trek fans feel better about their respective series.
oh!!! i really did not know all of this,thank you for the information.
Old January 9 2013, 09:37 PM   #105
jpch
Commander

teacake wrote: View Post
I voted for my crack candy series, which is VOY.

Janeway's hands..