Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 3 2013, 07:58 AM   #46
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Re: TOS questions

Dale Sams wrote: View Post
TNG used TV writers.
That's simply not true.
Braga never wrote anything at all before TNG.
Berman only ever wrote accounting reports.
Old January 3 2013, 11:46 AM   #47
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

...those ugly one piece costumes...
I know some fans love them, but I never cared for the unitard-jumpsuit look.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 06:47 PM   #48
Forbin
Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
TNG used TV writers.
That's simply not true.
Braga never wrote anything at all before TNG.
Berman only ever wrote accounting reports.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2013, 08:22 PM   #49
gottacook
Commander

JimZipCode wrote: View Post
In TNG, Q announces that humans have piqued his interest, and he will be keeping an eye on them. Instantly every other storyline in TNG is reduced in importance. The only important story is what Q will decide to do. His existence diminishes everything else. Quite stupid.
I seem to recall that in the first season of the original series alone, there were at least two intelligences that would be continuing to keep an eye on humanity: the Metrons from "Arena" ("You are still half savage, but there is hope; we will contact you when we are ready") and the Organians from "Errand of Mercy." Of course they weren't as funny and engaging as John de Lancie's Q.

Once they had been admitted in the original series, the existence of such intelligences couldn't just be ignored. (Perhaps the Organians should have been part of TNG?) Writing Q as a super-Trelane with no restraints, whatever his effect on future episodes, was about the only way to go, if you consider that self-restraining types and parentally restrained types had already been done.
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:04 AM   #50
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

gottacook wrote: View Post
I seem to recall that in the first season of the original series alone, there were at least two intelligences that would be continuing to keep an eye on humanity: the Metrons from "Arena" ("You are still half savage, but there is hope; we will contact you when we are ready") and ...
If the Metrons will contact us when they are ready, then they are going away for a while – could be centuries before that "readiness" is achieved. That episode's ending does not write them into the ongoing series.

Of course they weren't as funny and engaging as John de Lancie's Q.
I would have said "smarmy and annoying", but toe-may-toe/toe-mah-toe.

Once they had been admitted in the original series, the existence of such intelligences couldn't just be ignored. (Perhaps the Organians should have been part of TNG?) Writing Q as a super-Trelane with no restraints, whatever his effect on future episodes, was about the only way to go, if you consider that self-restraining types and parentally restrained types had already been done.
Could have and should have been completely ignored.

Actually, the idea I had in the early 80s for a Trek series was that the Organians were completing their evolution and moving on to "the next sphere" or whatever– and Pax Organia was breaking down. With the Organians disappearing, the power to enforce the "no fighting" edict was fading, and flare-ups were starting along the Klingon border. Would there be war, or would the Federation find a way to live with the Klingons? Were the Klingons even one political entity, or would we find (a la The Final Reflection) that there were multiple factions? I envisioned recurring Klingons, some as enemies and some as uncertain allies.

Then TNG came along and everything was ruined....
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote