RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,645
Posts: 5,428,083
Members: 24,811
Currently online: 430
Newest member: Damix

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 31 2012, 07:02 PM   #46
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm still confused how Denise Crosby would've made Nemesis better except for the hardest of hard core Trekkies?
I think you nailed it right there But if they wrote a decent script using her character...who knows?
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 03:46 PM   #47
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
The biggest problem with using established side characters from the show (Dukat, Garak) is the need to explain them. There will always be people going to a Trek movie just for shits and giggles, people who have never seen TNG for example. When you then do a movie about Q, they're going to wonder just who that is, without using half the movie to 'explain' Q to non-Trekkies.
The audience isn't stupid. There's nothing about the characters you mentioned that can't be explained in a very short exposition. Actually, all you need to understand is what they are (Dukat: Cardassian leader, Garak: former spy, now tailor, Q: omnipotent being) and that they have a history with the main characters. You don't even need to know what history. If it's relevant to the story, it will explain itself during the unfolding of the plot. If it's irrelevant anyway, nobody needs to know it. Seriously, it's not that hard, it happens in every single film you watch.
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
The biggest problem with using established side characters from the show (Dukat, Garak) is the need to explain them. There will always be people going to a Trek movie just for shits and giggles, people who have never seen TNG for example. When you then do a movie about Q, they're going to wonder just who that is, without using half the movie to 'explain' Q to non-Trekkies.
Not really. I don't think one needs to have seen Space Seed to enjoy TWOK or Best of Both Worlds to enjoy FC (and of course the Borg Queen didn't even appear in BOBW).

Characters like Carol Marcus were also supposed to have had a history with Kirk but, even though they'd never appeared in a tv show or movie before, their connections were generally established with a line or two of dialogue. Why would it be harder or more distracting to do so with a character who has appeared onscreen before?
Good point. We probably overestimate the difficulty of reviving old characters sometimes, forgetting that it's not necessary for the audience to know every tiny detail of an old character's backstory just to follow the story on the screen. After all, The Wrath of Khan didn't need to mention poor Marla by name, let alone explain that Khan's dead wife was a former Stafleet historian . . . .
My point exactly.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 01:09 AM   #48
Paper Moon
Commander
 
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

jinglebellrok wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm still confused how Denise Crosby would've made Nemesis better except for the hardest of hard core Trekkies?
I think you nailed it right there But if they wrote a decent script using her character...who knows?
Well, BillJ, in my mind, that would've been a good enough reason to do it! Part of the issue with Nemesis was that the general public didn't like it and many fans found it insulting. Having a Sela cameo in the opening scene in the Senate wouldn't have helped at the box office, but it would've been the smallest of gestures to acknowledge the decades-spanning franchise behind the film, and not left such a bad taste in many fans' mouths.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 03:01 AM   #49
shivkala
Rear Admiral
 
shivkala's Avatar
 
Location: Patrolling Sector 2814
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
I was disappointed they didn't take a rather obvious move and have O'brien on the Defiant with Worf during First Contact. As long as he was with the TNG crew, he deserved being in at least one of the movies.
It does seem odd that the only officer from Deep Space 9 was Worf, at least from an "in-universe" perspective. I'm not quite sure what role O'Brien would have played in First Contact, as I can't quite see him fighting off the Borg and, at most, he'd have ended up with Barclay's lines, in place of Reggie. Then, of course, people in this thread would complain that O'Brien didn't really belong in the movie and Barclay should have appeared in the movie!
__________________
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 06:21 AM   #50
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

shivkala wrote: View Post
Star Grinch wrote: View Post
I was disappointed they didn't take a rather obvious move and have O'brien on the Defiant with Worf during First Contact. As long as he was with the TNG crew, he deserved being in at least one of the movies.
It does seem odd that the only officer from Deep Space 9 was Worf, at least from an "in-universe" perspective. I'm not quite sure what role O'Brien would have played in First Contact, as I can't quite see him fighting off the Borg and, at most, he'd have ended up with Barclay's lines, in place of Reggie. Then, of course, people in this thread would complain that O'Brien didn't really belong in the movie and Barclay should have appeared in the movie!
He could've taken that random goldshirt's few lines about the Borg adapting and fighting them hand to hand. Given his soldier past, the role would've suited him. Stewart would only just have to throw out a "Good to see you again Chief" line. It would've just been a cameo, so it wouldn't have to be anything major.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 04:26 AM   #51
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Having a Sela cameo in the opening scene in the Senate wouldn't have helped at the box office, but it would've been the smallest of gestures to acknowledge the decades-spanning franchise behind the film, and not left such a bad taste in many fans' mouths.
I know many TNG fans who thought that Denise's acting was the weak link in the "Unification" two-parter.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 04:32 AM   #52
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

shivkala wrote: View Post
It does seem odd that the only officer from Deep Space 9 was Worf, at least from an "in-universe" perspective. I'm not quite sure what role O'Brien would have played in First Contact, as I can't quite see him fighting off the Borg and, at most, he'd have ended up with Barclay's lines, in place of Reggie. Then, of course, people in this thread would complain that O'Brien didn't really belong in the movie and Barclay should have appeared in the movie!
Miles already had his farewell scene with Picard in the first episode of DS9 and also his last appearance with TNG cast in All Good Things. They were nicely done and there didn't need to be anymore appearances since his character had graduated into a main character on DS9.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 06:50 AM   #53
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Having a Sela cameo in the opening scene in the Senate wouldn't have helped at the box office, but it would've been the smallest of gestures to acknowledge the decades-spanning franchise behind the film, and not left such a bad taste in many fans' mouths.
I know many TNG fans who thought that Denise's acting was the weak link in the "Unification" two-parter.
Geez, and I thought it was the writing and the direction and Nimoy that were the principal co-stars of blame in that. Sela might qualify as 'special guest blame' but it would be below-the-title billing at best.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 06:58 AM   #54
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

trevanian wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Having a Sela cameo in the opening scene in the Senate wouldn't have helped at the box office, but it would've been the smallest of gestures to acknowledge the decades-spanning franchise behind the film, and not left such a bad taste in many fans' mouths.
I know many TNG fans who thought that Denise's acting was the weak link in the "Unification" two-parter.
Geez, and I thought it was the writing and the direction and Nimoy that were the principal co-stars of blame in that. Sela might qualify as 'special guest blame' but it would be below-the-title billing at best.
Be glad Unification turned out as well as it did because the only reason it exists in the first place was to be a commercial for TUC.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 01:58 AM   #55
Paper Moon
Commander
 
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

Dream wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Having a Sela cameo in the opening scene in the Senate wouldn't have helped at the box office, but it would've been the smallest of gestures to acknowledge the decades-spanning franchise behind the film, and not left such a bad taste in many fans' mouths.
I know many TNG fans who thought that Denise's acting was the weak link in the "Unification" two-parter.
Geez, and I thought it was the writing and the direction and Nimoy that were the principal co-stars of blame in that. Sela might qualify as 'special guest blame' but it would be below-the-title billing at best.
Be glad Unification turned out as well as it did because the only reason it exists in the first place was to be a commercial for TUC.
Therin, you won't get any argument from me, but if she was limited to a no-lines-just-die-from-thalaron cameo... well, it'd be pretty hard to mess that up!

And Dream, I'd never heard that before. Certainly makes sense in several ways...
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 09:35 PM   #56
milo bloom
Fleet Captain
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Location: The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
jinglebellrok wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I'm still confused how Denise Crosby would've made Nemesis better except for the hardest of hard core Trekkies?
I think you nailed it right there But if they wrote a decent script using her character...who knows?
Well, BillJ, in my mind, that would've been a good enough reason to do it! Part of the issue with Nemesis was that the general public didn't like it and many fans found it insulting. Having a Sela cameo in the opening scene in the Senate wouldn't have helped at the box office, but it would've been the smallest of gestures to acknowledge the decades-spanning franchise behind the film, and not left such a bad taste in many fans' mouths.

Great point. I know there's no director alive that goes into a movie thinking they're making a dud, but I'd like to believe they could at least think "even if everybody doesn't like it, at least it will get points for these callbacks."

That other idea about having Crosby in the background at Nemesis with no other explanation would have just been fantastic also. It could have created a whole new meme: "Wesley the Traveler did it."
__________________
'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!
milo bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 10:44 PM   #57
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

trevanian wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Having a Sela cameo in the opening scene in the Senate wouldn't have helped at the box office, but it would've been the smallest of gestures to acknowledge the decades-spanning franchise behind the film, and not left such a bad taste in many fans' mouths.
I know many TNG fans who thought that Denise's acting was the weak link in the "Unification" two-parter.
Geez, and I thought it was the writing and the direction and Nimoy that were the principal co-stars of blame in that. Sela might qualify as 'special guest blame' but it would be below-the-title billing at best.
This.

While Crosby's acting was definitely lackluster, there were much bigger problems with Unification starting with the story.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 05:25 PM   #58
milo bloom
Fleet Captain
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Location: The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

As far as series characters in movies, if they could have gotten Forbes to play ball on the series, Ro Laren would have been great to have in the movies.
__________________
'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!
milo bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 07:38 PM   #59
Josan
Commodore
 
Josan's Avatar
 
Location: London, Canada
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

Ensign Ro is my favourite minor TNG character. I'd have liked seeing her but don't really think they'd have done much justice to the character in the TNG movies considering how poorly used most of the major TNG characters were.
__________________
Winterwind - Re-vamped and Re-launched July 2013
http://www.winterwind-productions.com
Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 09:01 PM   #60
jpch
Commander
 
jpch's Avatar
 
Location: Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
Re: Characters from the TV shows who should have appeared in the movie

Well i would have loved to see Admiral Janeway commanding the fleet that was about to help the Enterprise,maybe also with the fleet we could have seen Major Kira,Seven of Nine <3
jpch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.