RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 568
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 7 2013, 03:47 AM   #376
Shanndee
Commodore

Re: TIL...

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that cooleddie. I hope you recover quickly!

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 03:49 AM   #377
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Thanks. If I am indeed coming down with the bug that's going around it might not last very long. I have a tendency to catch the flu, sweat and moan for a few days while it barrages my system and then I'm back to being as good as new.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 07:08 AM   #378
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Today, I learned that hubby is a terrible shopper. I asked him to pick me up some Saltines, and he brought home Ritz. BAH.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:02 AM   #379
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Today I Learned... that I "make better pizza than Pizza Hut" according to Mom's home health aide. I made pizza for us for lunch Sunday.

TIL also... a better way to make bread pudding. Mine was always too dry, but Mom's aide [who is also a family friend] was a professional pastry chef at Hershey's Chocolate. She has been teaching me baking skills while I teach her shortcuts to cooking other dishes. Her kids love those shortcuts, because they get to spend more time with her after work. I am a rather good cook, but my baking skills need improvement.
Old January 7 2013, 08:19 AM   #380
B.J.
Rear Admiral

TIL... I'm a softie for animals (well, knew that already), and there are some truly despicable people out there.

Two months ago, we had two cats and a dog. As of today, it's *four* cats and a dog, and I have a cat allergy! Okay, there's a threshold before it really starts affecting me, so hopefully we haven't hit it. Anyway, we had already adopted cat #3 a couple of months ago (wife went to grocery store, came home with cat and no groceries). But this morning on the way home from church, I spotted a very small kitten in the median of a major divided highway. I turned around and we picked it up, and it was obvious that someone had ditched that kitten there, likely from a moving vehicle! It's left hind quarters was skinned up badly, torn down to muscle, and its tail is probably broken since it just drags behind limp. We took it home and cleaned it up, and it took the poor thing a long time to stop shivering. It was likely stuck there for a couple of days after someone dumped it, judging from how hungry it was and how much the injury had healed. Don't know if it's a male or female yet since we don't want to hurt its rear any more, but I'll be taking it to the vet in the morning to get it fixed up. Yes, this is probably way too many cats for our house, but there is no way we're giving it up.

I'm glad I never saw whoever did this, because I'd likely toss *them* from a moving vehicle! After, of course, my wife got her chance to practice some of her martial arts training!
Old January 8 2013, 03:38 AM   #381
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Sorry, pet lovers. The only "pet" I have these days is a feral cat that roams our country acreage looking for field mice. We also have squirrels; rabbits; many species of birds; an occasional raccoon; black snake or king snake (they kill poisonous snakes); but none of them are allowed indoors, of course.

My COPD and allergies make it impossible to have indoor pets. However, I have been contemplating an aquarium...

Last edited by Sector 7; January 8 2013 at 03:51 AM.
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 03:52 AM   #382
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

TIL that I'm not the only one here who adopted a cat who'd been thrown from a moving car. Someone actually saw mine being thrown and bouncing off another car and took him to a rescue group. After he had surgery and physical therapy, I adopted him. He still walks with a limp, but it doesn't slow him down at all. He's such a gentle, laid back boy, it's hard to believe he's been through so much or that someone wanted to get rid of him so badly.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 05:13 AM   #383
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Well, the cat is going to have surgery to amputate the tail tomorrow. If that were the only issue, I'd be very happy, because she is a very sweet little kitten. Unfortunately, the injury also paralyzed her anal sphincter, which means she cannot control when she poops. It is possible that she will recover functionality in a few months, but there's also the much greater chance that this is permanent. It's going to be difficult, but we're probably her only hope now, since I doubt a shelter would take her, and I don't want anyone putting her down.

So, anyone know where I can get some kitty diapers?
Old January 8 2013, 09:56 PM   #384
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^Poor little thing! Humans who lose control of the sphincter because of spinal/neurological damage sometimes regain it slowly. Hopefully, your kitty will, too.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2013, 06:21 AM   #385
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Today I learned that I will still probably be sick when my friend comes to visit. Phooey.

OH....and that the green Vick's nighttime cold medicine is just as freakin' vile tasting as NyQuil.
Old January 9 2013, 10:30 PM   #386
Avalon
Captain

((((((auntiehill)))))) Hope you feel better soon.
Old January 9 2013, 10:52 PM   #387
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Thanks. I'm ready for this cold/flu to go away now.
Old January 9 2013, 11:21 PM   #388
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Best of luck getting over what's left of yours, auntie.

Mine just started in earnest.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 04:24 AM   #389
Shanndee
Commodore

Ugh. Get better soon you guys.

TIL the long talked about renovations at my place of work will begin in February. I'll be working in a construction zone for the next year. Sigh.

"Everything will be alright in the end; if it is not alright, it is not the end" Numerous sources
Shanndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 04:26 AM   #390
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

auntiehill wrote: View Post
Today I learned that I will still probably be sick when my friend comes to visit. Phooey.

OH....and that the green Vick's nighttime cold medicine is just as freakin' vile tasting as NyQuil.
So take the red stuff! That's some primo shit right there.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote