RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 353
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 8 2013, 12:58 AM   #31
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: Starting on Deep Space Nine

I like Bajoran politics too. Episodes like that completely vanish in the middle of S2 and we get crappy Bashir and Sisko romance of the week episodes.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 01:07 AM   #32
MacLeod
Admiral

royalfan5 wrote: View Post
I wrapped up the first season. I see why everyone always holds up Duet as an example of good DS9. I will probably start the second season in a couple of days.
"Duet" is not only a good example of DSN but of Trek as whole.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 04:54 AM   #33
dub
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I like the Bajoran Politics and Religion stuff, so, I find the first two seasons of DS9 more enjoyable than many fans do, and while I like the stuff that comes from S3 on a great deal, I do miss the Bajoran Politics and Religion when it gets pushed to the back burner
I'm with the minority on that one, too. I loved when they explored Bajoran religion.
dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 07:03 AM   #34
R. Star
Rear Admiral

dub wrote: View Post
I like the Bajoran Politics and Religion stuff, so, I find the first two seasons of DS9 more enjoyable than many fans do, and while I like the stuff that comes from S3 on a great deal, I do miss the Bajoran Politics and Religion when it gets pushed to the back burner
I'm with the minority on that one, too. I loved when they explored Bajoran religion.
The Bajoran politics and religious theme grew on me with rewatching. You may hate her(in fact that's the point), but Kai Winn really was an awesome villain.
Old January 8 2013, 07:59 PM   #35
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

R. Star wrote: View Post
dub wrote: View Post
The Bajoran politics and religious theme grew on me with rewatching. You may hate her(in fact that's the point), but Kai Winn really was an awesome villain.

I was never able to get into the Bajorans politics and religion themes. I don't know why, maybe because through the entire series I never got to like Kira...she just irritated me more than anything. But I do agree that Kai Winn turned into a great villian as the series progressed.

I bought the entire DS9 DVD set and just finished it a few weeks ago. DS9 really did become my favorite Trek series and even though there were plenty of episodes that put me to sleep in every season, the exciting ones kept me watching.
Sigokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:02 PM   #36
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

"Feel free to stay as many days as you'd like... even a week if necessary."
-Vedek Winn
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 08:19 PM   #37
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
"Feel free to stay as many days as you'd like... even a week if necessary."
-Vedek Winn
That's the most polite way of saying "Get lost you tramp!"
Old January 9 2013, 02:17 AM   #38
royalfan5
Fleet Captain

So I've gotten through Invasive Procedures as this cold I've gotten has crimped my other plans. I thought the three season arc to start the season was pretty good. I think I am going to enjoy the Bajoran Politics stuff. I thought Invasive Procedures was a good stab at exploring more Trill things.

On a side note, am I the only one who thinks it would have been sweet if they would have had Robert Urich as a guest star at some point?
Old May 4 2013, 04:28 PM   #39
royalfan5
Fleet Captain

Well, I finally wrapped up my trip through DS9, I can say I enjoyed it tremendously. Although for some reason Vic Fontaine just annoyed the hell out me. I may start reading some of the Post-DS9 novels to keep getting a little bit of a fix there. I also think I will watch Dirty Harry as well.
Old May 4 2013, 05:29 PM   #40
R. Star
Rear Admiral

royalfan5 wrote: View Post
Well, I finally wrapped up my trip through DS9, I can say I enjoyed it tremendously. Although for some reason Vic Fontaine just annoyed the hell out me. I may start reading some of the Post-DS9 novels to keep getting a little bit of a fix there. I also think I will watch Dirty Harry as well.
I greatly enjoyed the DS9 relaunch novels. It basically reads as a season 8 to me. Start with Avatar by S.D. Perry. Pretty much picks up right where What you leave behind left off, and is something of a TNG crossover as they play a minor role in it, though don't steal the show by any means.
Old May 5 2013, 10:32 AM   #41
USS Firefly
Commander

And I would like to advise the mission gamma books, they are pretty good as well.
USS Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote