Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old January 5 2013, 05:18 AM   #31
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Tomorrow: 20 Years Ago

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Here's a 4-minute trailer from 1992, narrated by voice over legend Don LaFontaine:

Boy did that bring back some memories. Thanks for posting it, even though it felt like the showed the entire pilot episode in that trailer. That's how you slim down 90 minutes down to 4.
Old January 5 2013, 07:09 AM   #32
Odo
Lieutenant

I first saw DS9 around 1998, back in grade school. I had always been a Trek fan, my dad being a TOS fan, while I had also enjoyed TNG. A friend of mine, who was a huge TNG fan and was trying to get me to play the Trek card game with him, showed me Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast. It really spoke to my sensibilities, even back then, of themes and structure (the episodes connecting more as opposed to being stand alones like TNG or TOS).

I started watching reruns the next year on some obscure channel, around the time they were showing In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light and was HOOKED. When the DVDS came out I bought them immediately and caught up with the show, while still seeing it sometimes on Spike. I then proceeded to get my cousin and my brother into, and later my dad, and even later my fiancee, all of whom consider it one of their favorite shows, especially my cousin and fiancee.

It remains not only my favorite Trek, but my favorite TV show to this day. Thanks to everyone involved with the show and Happy Birthday to DS9!
Odo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5 2013, 06:12 PM   #33
timtonruben359
Lieutenant

I'm shocked that its been 20 years! I can remember watching the first episode with my family. I was 10 when it came on and at the time I was a huge TNG fan. I think like a lot of fans I didn't give DS9 a chance in the early years. I don't remember watching it beyond the first episode. Once TNG went off the air I started watching DS9 mainly because I didn't want to miss my weekly hit of Trek. I started to like it but it wasn't until Way of the Warrior aired that I really fell for the show.

DS9 was and is my favorite of the Trek spin-offs. One of the reasons I love the show so much is the fact that at the end of the day it's about character. These characters grew and were fleshed out during 7 seasons and never under utilized. The writers took chances and not every episode had the happy 'everything is wrapped up in a bow' ending that the other spin-offs seemed to do often.

I still think 20 years since it first aired, DS9 doesn't get the respect it deserves. If TNG brought sci-fi into the mainstream for much of the 90s, I think DS9 played a big role in the change towards the more complex character-arc based sci-fi of today.

It also makes me sad that it's very hard to find DS9 reruns on TV these days. Here in Canada, it's still pretty easy to find TOS, TNG and VOY but DS9 hasn't been rerun in a long time. I'm hoping the show does eventually make it to blu ray and allow a new generation of fans to get hooked!
timtonruben359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2013, 01:43 AM   #34
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Watched it all thru High School and into College. Great Trek series, with the best story arcs
Old January 6 2013, 02:29 AM   #35
indolover
Fleet Captain

DS9 is one the great sci-fi shows ever, anywhere. and one of the most underrated too.

I think though it's concept was counter-productive. Perhaps it's ratings would have been higher had it been a starship show, and not a space station show. I think that turned a lot of people off it.

That said, a great show, as aforecited one of the best sci-fi shows ever.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 11:34 PM   #36
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

^ It wouldn't have made much sense to have two starship series going at the same time.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 04:40 AM   #37
dub
Fleet Captain

I was so excited to see trektoday.com making note of the anniversary. Then I saw several comments below the article from some guy talking about how awful DS9 was. This guy claims there are only two episodes worth watching. He later admitted he only actually watched 2 episodes (...the two he claimed were "worth watching"). I usually just ignore trolls, but this one just made my head explode! Haha! Anyway, I love this show and I'm hoping blurays are coming soon! Happy anniversary, DS9! I've enjoyed reading all of your comments!
dub is offline   Reply With Quote