Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 7 2013, 03:35 AM   #1171
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Re: PICTURE POST II!

Emher wrote: View Post
I can only assume no butter/milk.
Yup.

Vegan mashed potatoes have been a struggle of mine for years. Soy milk and veggie oils simply don't whip as well as dairy milk/butter. One thing I've found to help a lot is use smaller potatoes.

I've found using red potatoes instead of the traditional Yukon Gold or Russet to be a bit better. They're less starchy and mash better on their own. You'll never get the traditional creamy potatoes, but they still go down easier than the ol' vegan potato brick.

Also, since you're not using gravy, I've found boiling the potatoes in a vegetable broth adds flavor--I usually go half water, half broth. And some garlic, green onion or shallot, and kale mixed in is really yummy.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:42 AM   #1172
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Yup.

Vegan mashed potatoes have been a struggle of mine for years. Soy milk and veggie oils simply don't whip as well as dairy milk/butter. One thing I've found to help a lot is use smaller potatoes.

I've found using red potatoes instead of the traditional Yukon Gold or Russet to be a bit better. They're less starchy and mash better on their own. You'll never get the traditional creamy potatoes, but they still go down easier than the ol' vegan potato brick.

Also, since you're not using gravy, I've found boiling the potatoes in a vegetable broth adds flavor--I usually go half water, half broth. And some garlic, green onion or shallot, and kale mixed in is really yummy.
Almond milk worked pretty well for me when I tried it.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 11:54 AM   #1173
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I keep hearing about almond milk. Almonds are pretty expensive, how much is the milk?!

Mashed potatoes are overrated unless you ARE sculpting alien landing pads. I like a simple red/pink potato nuked with cracked pepper on it. I don't need salt or butter.

(Actually I like every western food with cracked pepper on it..)

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:25 PM   #1174
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Garlic and buttered mashed potatoes have been a staple of my Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for years, but they need to be at least a little chunky and have some texture. Too many mashed potatoes are soft and runny or - just as bad - too thick and clumpy like it's industrial caulking or plaster. The key is getting the texture just right so you don't need a straw or an acetylene torch to eat 'em.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 04:41 PM   #1175
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Does TSQ take a bad picture? Ever?!
Oh lord yes. You should have seen my 3rd grade school photo.

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
I've said it before but tsq looks damn adorable with her cool haircut and highlights.
Thank you
Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Christmas Pics!

Starting with the nephews, because they're damned cute! (THE CHEEKS!)

Me and the little nephew:

Liam always stops to read (look at) books, even in the middle of present-opening. I got him The Wind in the Willows:

The beautiful sweater my sister knitted for me:

My first attempt at vegan mashed potatoes were a little stiff (but they tasted good!):
It is a beautiful sweater, nothing better then a home made gift. I love how you coordinated your outfit with your hair.
Thanks! I've been obsessive about matching since I was 3, you can ask my mother!

Yep. Both sisters and the nephews are vegan, plus, my younger sister has a terrible dairy allergy. The potatoes actually turned out good. They were just supper stiff because I'd made them the night before and they'd been in the fridge. I used veganaise and veggie broth, and they tasted really good! And considering there were 10 people at dinner, I don't think that mound of potatoes was that much!
^Nope. Never ever.

Okay, that are some gosh darned cute kids. The eldest is definitely gonna be a heartbreaker when he grow older.
He is for sure! This is his first ladykiller picture, at age two:

OMFG, The Wind in the Willows! I loved that as a kid!
Me too!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:35 PM   #1176
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

We are people of impeccable taste.

And that's kinda ridiculous how handsome the boy looks already. He even has a photogenic slightly arched eyebrow in that pic.
Old January 8 2013, 01:29 AM   #1177
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

never did understand the whole vegan thing TBH. And I personally like to boil red potatoes in water and chicken broth, with some butter and some pepper.
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 02:25 AM   #1178
An Officer
Vice Admiral

Finn wrote: View Post
^I know you are talking about Tom Hendricks' wife but that comment is a bit jarring after looking at TSQ's pictures
I can see how you might think so! TSQ is always cute, of course, but I just had to comment on those kids, totally adorable at that age!
Old January 8 2013, 02:32 AM   #1179
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I wish I had pics of my niece Harper who is about two weeks old now. She is, of course, totally off the charts on the cute-ometer.

I remember the last time I was over at their house and I was sitting in a chair holding her for awhile, then I had to say to my nephew "Kai, dude, can you go and get Mommy to come in and get the baby? I'm afraid to move." And I was. I literally could not dare to move. I know you have to be VERY careful with newborns and I didn't want to hurt her!

And of course my sister in law comes in and WHOOSH picks up the baby and carries her away in a totally flawless motion. Only the mother knows!
Old January 8 2013, 03:41 AM   #1180
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
never did understand the whole vegan thing TBH. And I personally like to boil red potatoes in water and chicken broth, with some butter and some pepper.
I'm not vegan by a longshot but I've grown to like or even love certain vegan foods as time has passed. Some of the best pizza I've had in ages has spinach and black olives for toppings and not one molecule of meat on the entire thing and I love a good salad with assorted veggies and lowfat dressing.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 04:21 AM   #1181
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

We are people of impeccable taste.

And that's kinda ridiculous how handsome the boy looks already. He even has a photogenic slightly arched eyebrow in that pic.
He is indeed!

Sephiroth wrote: View Post
My younger sister feels especially strongly about veganism. She simply believes that, if one can live without exploiting animals, then it is unethical to exploit them, whether by eating them, using them for labor, wearing their skins, wool, or fur, or using products that have been tested on them. It's not for everyone, but if one fully comprehends that humans are animals, and that animals also have sentience/consciousness as we do (and there is no scientific reason to believe they do not), then believing they should be entitled to the same right to not be exploited by people as other humans are is not a particularly difficult ethical position to understand, even if one doesn't agree with it. She's also seen amazing health benefits from going vegan.

Again, veganism is not something I personally would do, nor is their philosophy one that I agree with entirely -- though I do believe in the humane treatment of animals -- but she has a fair point.

View my art!
Old January 8 2013, 04:30 AM   #1182
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I am...about as far away from vegan as can be. That's all I can (and probably should) say about that.
Old January 8 2013, 10:39 AM   #1183
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I wish I had pics of my niece Harper who is about two weeks old now. She is, of course, totally off the charts on the cute-ometer.

I remember the last time I was over at their house and I was sitting in a chair holding her for awhile, then I had to say to my nephew "Kai, dude, can you go and get Mommy to come in and get the baby? I'm afraid to move." And I was. I literally could not dare to move. I know you have to be VERY careful with newborns and I didn't want to hurt her!

And of course my sister in law comes in and WHOOSH picks up the baby and carries her away in a totally flawless motion. Only the mother knows!
Actually, if I understand it correctly, newborns are rather durable. They just squeezed through an opening slightly smaller than their head, at an angle, and twisting all the way through. They ought to be pretty resilient. And looking at the way obstetricians handle them, you'll think they're made of rubber!
Old January 8 2013, 03:40 PM   #1184
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^My nephew does look pretty bouncy.

View my art!
Old January 9 2013, 01:56 PM   #1185
Alienesse
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Alienesse

If anyone is interested, you can find a link to photos from the London convention in my signature. Enjoy!