Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 7 2013, 11:28 PM   #1
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

popular culture?

I am trying to think - did we ever see much evidence of 'modern' popular culture in Star Trek? Everyone seemed to be into popular culture from many centuries past, did we ever see a 24th century celeb?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: popular culture?

Not that I can think of, aside from the EMH becoming a bestselling author, that is.
Old January 7 2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Lance
Fleet Captain

The Starfleet crews themselves are occasionally what we might think of as 'celebs' today. News crews with cameras buzzing around the bridge of the Enterprise-B in "Generations" hanging off every word Kirk says, and so on.

There don't seem to be 'actors' or that kind of thing though. Doctor Crusher did start an amateur rep company on the Enterprise, but that's not quite the same thing either...
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 11:50 PM   #4
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Not that I can think of, aside from the EMH becoming a bestselling author, that is.
Geordi La Forge and Jake Sisko too... at least in two separate future timelines.

But it's true, there doesn't seem to be a popular culture as such. Instead, 24th century "culture" seems to be largely based around privately created holo-programs who are traded among circles of friends (like Bashir and his unseen "friend" Felix).
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The problem, from a dramatic standpoint, is that to have a future celebrity you have to have to first invent some sort of future art or sport, which runs the risk of looking silly if you do it wrong. "Ohmigod, it's Swarara Ginsu, the worlds-famous bio-holo rap artist! I love her neo-retro-steampunk laser operas!"

Easier, especially in an hour-long episode, just to have a string quartet or a Shakespearean acting troupe.

Wait! I just remembered. Didn't B'Elanna like to read Klingon romance novels? Like Woman Warriors at the River of Blood?
Old January 8 2013, 12:03 AM   #6
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

There was also the Klingon music the Doctor's holo son was into (if I remember this correctly). But it's true that references to pop culture are very rare. I don't think we've ever seen a celebrity but maybe the celebrity culture we have today went out of style at some point.
Old January 8 2013, 12:08 AM   #7
lurok
Commodore

I remember thinking when watching DS9 that all those Bajoran rebel leaders tended to be treated (and in some cases, look) like rock stars. Prob the nearest thing.

Oh wait....there was that seminal Bajoran instrumentalist Kira was really into. Can't remember episode.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 01:47 AM   #8
R. Star
Rear Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I am trying to think - did we ever see much evidence of 'modern' popular culture in Star Trek? Everyone seemed to be into popular culture from many centuries past, did we ever see a 24th century celeb?
You don't remember Joe Piscapo's appearance as one of the greatest comedians of all time?!
Old January 8 2013, 01:49 AM   #9
Melakon
Vice Admiral

The Karidian Company of Players was a well known theatrical group in "The Conscience of the King".
Old January 8 2013, 02:36 AM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral

There's still children's entertainment. There's Flotter, a holodeck program Naomi Wildman played that many on the Voyager crew have fond memories of from their own childhood. There's also been references to "Toby the Targ."
Old January 8 2013, 04:15 AM   #11
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Lwaxana Troi surely wore only the latest fashions.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 04:34 AM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Also the "Vulcan Love Slave" holosuite programs on DS9. Which, given what we would later see on ENT ("Acquisition"), were probably based on T'Pol.
Old January 8 2013, 06:48 AM   #13
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Also the "Vulcan Love Slave" holosuite programs on DS9. Which, given what we would later see on ENT ("Acquisition"), were probably based on T'Pol.
Haha, I never thought of that, but you could be right!
Old January 8 2013, 08:14 AM   #14
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

You think in 50 years real actors won't be replaced by 100% realistic CGI?

If you ask TNG, humans outgrew the need for petty things like TV, and celebrities.
If you ask any other Trek series, there probably are still celebrities but they're not actors and singers, they're writers of holonovels, composers of music. The actual creators.

Actual popular entertainment is probably faceless. No names attached, just characters. Kind of like how entertainment companies wish they could make it now, but can't because there isn't 100% realistic CGI yet.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2013, 10:18 AM   #15
Timo
Admiral

Why wouldn't the characters be celebrities?

It's not all that common for people today to be worshipped as actors, either: they are worshipped as the characters they play in public. Things oughtn't change much even if the actors are virtual...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote