Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 7 2013, 10:17 PM   #1
dispatcher812
Lieutenant Commander

Ashes of Eden before Return?

I just found a box of ST books and in it had 5 Shatnerverse books. I forgot I had these, (never read them) and after talking a quick peek at them they sound interesting. I also took a quick peek at the plot summaries for Ashes Of Eden and Return. Both seem at least to start off on Veridian III just after Kirk's Death. Do I have to start with Ashes of can I start with Return?
dispatcher812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Paris
Fleet Captain

Re: Ashes of Eden before Return?

^Read Ashes first.
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 10:24 PM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Ashes comes first, and is necessary backstory to properly enjoy Avenger and... whatever the rest are called... later
Old January 7 2013, 10:28 PM   #4
dispatcher812
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys.
dispatcher812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 10:57 PM   #5
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

King Daniel wrote: View Post
Ashes comes first, and is necessary backstory to properly enjoy Avenger and... whatever the rest are called... later

KIRK SAVES THE DAY WHILE PICARD AND THOSE 24RD CENTURY BOYS HOLD HIS COAT is the title of at least one of the sequels.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Beside what the others said, Ashes is actually the best of the lot in my opinion, so you should really read it.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 11:11 PM   #7
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

Defcon wrote: View Post
Beside what the others said, Ashes is actually the best of the lot in my opinion, so you should really read it.
yeah i really enjoyed Ashes. my enjoyment faded as the series progressed
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 11:15 PM   #8
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
King Daniel wrote: View Post

KIRK SAVES THE DAY WHILE PICARD AND THOSE 24RD CENTURY BOYS HOLD HIS COAT is the title of at least one of the sequels.

I'm a big fan of the Shatner novels, but... yes.
Old January 7 2013, 11:24 PM   #9
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I am a big fan too !
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 11:50 PM   #10
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

I don't think you really need to read Ashes before Return, since I've tried reading "Ashes" and I could never get through it, but I did get through "The Return", "Avenger", "Spectre", "Dark Victory", "Preserver" and the Totality series just fine.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 11:52 PM   #11
TJ Sinclair
Captain

I really enjoyed all of them through Spectre. That's where the series ends, in my personal universe.

I wish more authors of today's books took at least The Ashes of Eden into account when mining for continuity. There's nothing in it that inherently contradicts any later canon, or anything else in the novelverse AFAICT. It was nice to see an acknowledgement of it in Cast No Shadow.

The Return is a decent book in and of itself, but actually Avenger is my favorite of all the Shatner novels. Spectre was good, too... but then came Dark Victory (*shudder*).
Old January 7 2013, 11:54 PM   #12
Tom Riker
Lieutenant

are we ever going to see ebooks of the "Odyssey Trilogy", Ashes-Avenger?
Tom Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 11:56 PM   #13
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

What was wrong with "Dark Victory"? I found that the Mirror Universe books were the strongest. Unfortunately the Totality trilogy didn't live up to the MU trilogy or even the Return/Avenger storyline.
Old January 8 2013, 12:06 AM   #14
TJ Sinclair
Captain

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
What was wrong with "Dark Victory"? I found that the Mirror Universe books were the strongest. Unfortunately the Totality trilogy didn't live up to the MU trilogy or even the Return/Avenger storyline.
For me, Dark Victory was just poorly written. The plot felt rushed, the characters felt shallow and unconvincing, and the dialogue fell flat at every turn. It was hackneyed and overwrought and definitely suffered from middle-child blues, IMO.

Preserver was at least better written, but I really didn't like it. Both books were a really big letdown after so much promise in Spectre. I'd just prefer the series end on that cliffhanger than to drag out into what it became.

I got about a third of the way into Captain's Peril before I just couldn't take the stupidity anymore and put it down, never looking back.

The Ashes of Eden, The Return, Avenger and Spectre all get A's or A+'s in my book, though.
Old January 8 2013, 12:15 AM   #15
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Well you should pick up Collision Course. TOS-only books are not usually at the top of my favorites list (since most of the ones from the 70's to the 90's felt like Westerns, and I'm not exactly into Westerns), but Collision was nothing like the TOS books before it. And it really made the Shatner books rebound after the Totality trilogy. It's too bad that Shatner hasn't written its sequel yet.