Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 6 2013, 11:19 PM   #31
macghoul
I believe most sincerely

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macghoul
Re: Love Facebook? How do you use it?

I love Facebook. It's how I keep in touch with far-flung friends, both old RL friends and friends I've made online over the years, including quite a few here. I have about 135 friends, but several people aren't active. I have very few relatives as friends, mostly because few family members are on FB.
Old January 7 2013, 01:07 AM   #32
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

I resisted for the longest of time...until I finally caved in film school to just be able to easily keep in touch with people at school. As it is, I use it to keep in touch with friends and family, and to share stuff I find cool in an easy way.

I am not a facebook gamer. I played a bit of Tetris Battle, because Tetris, but that's about it. There's a reason I spent so much on my computer, I want to actually run proper games on it.

Also, I don't just collect random people. I have to actually sort of know the person I add as a friend.
Old January 7 2013, 04:18 AM   #33
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
Every once in a while, though, I get a friend request that just confuses me. Usually they're from authors with whom I have several mutual friends, but I'm not sure why they're friending me...
Maybe to get their own friend count up? Or, less cynically, because they've seen you on their friends pages and think you might be interesting.
Maybe. Or, also speaking cynically, maybe they're hoping to be invited as a guest to a convention I work on. (Actually, a couple of them would have been good guests, I think, had we not shut down Polaris after #26. Maybe someone will submit a proposal to the Board that will revive it in a few years...)
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 05:18 AM   #34
Lumi
Captain

View Lumi's Twitter Profile

I use it mostly to keep in touch with family and friends I don't see often, and to connect to others within the pro-life movement.

Totally addicted.
Old January 7 2013, 11:51 AM   #35
teacock
Admiral

^If you have any kind of cause it's a pretty great ride. Lots of enthusiasm and updates. Of course that's why I blocked people in the last election LOL.. and yes I blocked BOTH sides.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 09:57 PM   #36
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Love me some Facebook too.. However, I was just about to suspend my account during the election.. The amount of hate being spewed by both sides was unbearable.. At least here on the BBS I can choose to stay out of TNZ.. LOL...

I am a heavy user of Facebook and Twitter for professional reasons, as I manage my office's social media output.. I find it very useful and effective.

That said, on a personal level, I tend not to post much about me personally.. I restrict access to my kids photos and personal information.. I exist as somewhat of a "public figure" in New Mexico and have to be careful what I post.. In that respect, I can't/don't post anything political in nature and refrain (generally) from replying to other's political posts...

Most of my status updates are comprised of song lyrics, movie quotes and general observations... I tend to stay away from posting that I'm going out to dinner, have a sick child, am frustrated with my job or that my wife pisses me off sometimes... I will, however, bore you with comments about how the Cowboys, Lobos and Cornhuskers are performing.. LOL...

I also run the facebook page for our official Smokey Bear Historical Park (since Smokey is from New Mexico, we take great pride in him)... Check it out if you like!
Old January 7 2013, 10:09 PM   #37
Professor McGonagall
Rear Admiral

^Interesting. I always thought it was Smokey the Bear. Apparently not!
Professor McGonagall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 10:14 PM   #38
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
^If you have any kind of cause it's a pretty great ride. Lots of enthusiasm and updates. Of course that's why I blocked people in the last election LOL.. and yes I blocked BOTH sides.
Ugh. People with causes on Facebook are obnoxious. Even when I agree with them.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 10:25 PM   #39
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^Interesting. I always thought it was Smokey the Bear. Apparently not!
Nope! The only time it's "officially" been "the Bear" was in association with the song that came out in the 1950s. The only reason the "the" was used was to make the words fit the melody...

I've been known to argue with folks who insist on using the "the"... I really should learn to let it go, but seeing as I get to wear the Smokey suit and teach about him in schools, I tend to take it personally. LOL!

It would be correct to say Smokey Bear the bear... Hee hee!