Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 7 2013, 05:31 PM   #586
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

mos6507 wrote: View Post
There isn't any sort of vandalist deconstruction that will be able to take that away.
Since no one is doing the first or trying to do the second it's not a concern that need be addressed.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 06:45 PM   #587
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

mos6507 wrote: View Post
I agree with you that the TNG era went off the rails. At best, it was watchable, not must-watch TV. I don't agree with you that the nu-Trek approach was the right solution. I think it's possible to hate how Berman and Braga slowly ground the franchise to dust while not welcoming JJ Abrams and his lens-flare with open arms. All they really needed to do was find a better steward of the franchise without having to pass the ball to someone who saw Trek itself as something that was broken and needed a hip-hop ADD do-over.
The problem with what your saying is that J.J. Abrams didn't have twenty-six, or even thirteen, episodes to hook the audience on Star Trek 2009. He had two hours and likely a laundry list of things that had to be accomplished in that time frame...
  • Reset the universe.
  • Do origins for Kirk and Spock.
  • Introduce the minor characters.
  • Introduce the Enterprise.
  • Have Kirk as the Captain by the end of the film.
  • Plus introduce a villain and give us a reason for the events to unfold.

Are there things I'd do differently? Sure! I loathe the Academy section of the film for a bunch of reasons I won't go into. But I thought both the Kelvin and Enterprise sections of the film were well done with a couple of nitpicks. I thought Abrams did a competent job directing and thought only Pegg and Saldana felt wrong for the roles they were given.

When they were actually making this film there was no guarantee of a sequel, so they had to make it count. And I think for the most part they did.
Old January 7 2013, 07:58 PM   #588
AloriaDax
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm gonna say no for extremely selfish reasons. I like Star Trek perfectly the way it was. My whole life has been all about Star Trek and now I could give a shit about the "NuTrek" that has been coming out. I am not at all looking forward to the new movie and it pisses me off to no end that JJ Abrams is doing Star Trek now even though he was never a fan before. I know that in order to get more fans a reboot was necessary, but to be honest, I don't care about new fans. I want my Star Trek to be the way it always was. I don't want or care for this "NuTrek", it means nothing to me.
AloriaDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:05 PM   #589
The Black Stig
Rear Admiral

AloriaDax wrote: View Post
I'm gonna say no for extremely selfish reasons. I like Star Trek perfectly the way it was. My whole life has been all about Star Trek and now I could give a shit about the "NuTrek" that has been coming out. I am not at all looking forward to the new movie and it pisses me off to no end that JJ Abrams is doing Star Trek now even though he was never a fan before. I know that in order to get more fans a reboot was necessary, but to be honest, I don't care about new fans. I want my Star Trek to be the way it always was. I don't want or care for this "NuTrek", it means nothing to me.
Shatner has a few words for you.

All we know is that he's not The Stig, he's The Stig's drowned predecessor.
The Black Stig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:10 PM   #590
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

One way to look at it is that there was never going to be new movies/TV set in the Prime timeline. So you have a complete story and need not worry about the Abramsverse.
Old January 7 2013, 08:21 PM   #591
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Bolding, mine.

I've always been curious about that POV in fandom (really any Fandom, not just Trek). Would the person rather the franchise whether and die out than be retooled and retold for new generations?

Last edited by SeerSGB; January 7 2013 at 08:51 PM.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:31 PM   #592
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, really.

The old version was done. There's no difference between just not paying attention to Abrams's movies and those movies not existing. So why be upset?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:36 PM   #593
The Creeper
Commodore

The Stig wrote: View Post
Shatner has a few words for you.
Try to relax?
The Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:36 PM   #594
lurok
Commodore

It's only a movie?
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:44 PM   #595
AloriaDax
Lieutenant Junior Grade

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Bolding, mine.

I've always been curious about that POV in fandom (really any Fandom, not just Trek). Would the person rather the franchise whether and die out that be retooled and retold for new generations?
To answer your question: The franchise would never die out to me because I have the DVDs to watch over and over so it would always be a part of my life. And I think it is that way with a lot of people. It will always be a part of their lives. They will teach their children to love it. It wouldn't die out if they didn't make any more movies. I don't believe that at all.
AloriaDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:47 PM   #596
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Yeah, really.

The old version was done. There's no difference between just not paying attention to Abrams's movies and those movies not existing. So why be upset?
Exactly and AGAIN...it's 6-10 frigging hours in an 'alternate timeline'. Big frigging deal. To use a baseball analogy, it's not like NuTrek is blocking any Trek on the farm. On the contrary, the existance of NuTrek will accelerate any plans to make a new TV series.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:49 PM   #597
The Creeper
Commodore

To answer your question: The franchise would never die out to me because I have the DVDs to watch over and over so it would always be a part of my life. And I think it is that way with a lot of people. It will always be a part of their lives. They will teach their children to love it. It wouldn't die out if they didn't make any more movies. I don't believe that at all.
*stated in 'cough'* Con-tri-dict-ion. Then why are you so pissed? Go live happily ever after with your DVDs, right?
The Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:52 PM   #598
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Bolding, mine.

I've always been curious about that POV in fandom (really any Fandom, not just Trek). Would the person rather the franchise whether and die out that be retooled and retold for new generations?
Oh it'd die out. It already was losing relevance to younger generations--hence the reboot. Star Trek is a product--no matter how much we enjoy it--and if the product doesn't sell they don't make anymore of it.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:52 PM   #599
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

DalekJim wrote: View Post
People in this thread are acting like TNG was some obscure cult show but it's actually one of the most famous TV shows ever aired. By any measure it was more successful than TOS. A genuine pop culture phenomena when it aired and still widely beloved today. Among young folk, TOS is thought of as the goofy predecessor to real Trek.
Except TNG fans tend to forget that without TOS and the TOS films - TNG WOUULD NEVER have been made. And personally, TNG Season 1 was TERRIBLE all around. When it was in first run syndication trhe station showing first run TNG episodes in my area sandwiched them between two TOS episodes (IE one aired prior to TNG and one aired afterwards.)

Yes, TNG did manage to survive and gain a following; but if not for TOS, it may not have.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2013, 08:57 PM   #600
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Bolding, mine.

Your opinion has a sort of, "You kids and your modern music!" ring to it, but you have a perfectly legitimate point of view. If I hadn't liked ST09, or Abrams had taken it in what I thought was a ridiculous direction (female Scotty, or whatever), I probably wouldn't have been interested in it, either. I may have thought it more of an opportunity lost rather than not caring at all, though.
But I happened to like ST09 a lot, and so far the next movie sounds intriguing, too. So -- .

BTW, have you seen ST09? It's not clear from your post. If you didn't like it, you're hardly alone here.